Bryce Gibbs, a class act

Remove this Banner Ad

If people are using stats to discuss the Gibbs V Deludio battle last night there a bit lost.

Watching the game (even on TV) you could see Gibbs was influencing the game more. He started a bit slowly but really came into the game during the period it was stagnating.

He's not without a deficiency but he's still 21 and time to improve on his weaknesses. He is a very intelligent footballer who is in the right position at the right times by reading the play. Uses the ball well and the accusations of softness may be mistaken for playing the coaches role to receive as when he needs to be in a contested situation he's there.

Footballer over athlete and the better for it and I think over the next couple of years you will really see him step up into the elite group.

He's not without a deficiency but he's still 21 and time to improve on his weaknesses. He is a very intelligent footballer who is in the right position at the right times by reading the play. Uses the ball well and the accusations of softness may be mistaken for playing the coaches role to receive as when he needs to be in a contested situation he's there.

Yep, if his coach is very stupid he would be telling him to be in the middle of the pack when he doesn't have to be. Gibbs is the guy you want kicking it.

Its amusing to see people think that because he is the guy we want delivering the ball that he cant go in and get the ball.
His work in close is extremely underrated. good player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Best disposer of the football in the team.
Best decision maker in the team.
No other player in the team has the time and space in congestion that he has. Murphy gets around the opposition by decelerating and side stepping. Gibbs does it through composure and the slightest of movements. An absolute pressure to watch.

His end to the season last year was simply brilliant. Struggled in the final but prior to that clearly our best player. 28.4 touches and 1.2 goals a game in the last 10 weeks of the H&A is testament to that.

I do agree entirely with Jeremias. His biggest issue for mine is that he lacks intensity at time and doesn't work hard enough. Nothing wrong with his work in congestion as he shows every time he's played in the midfield/forward of centre. Has much more of an impact there than he does on a HBF. His marking is improving, too. Will be a very solid mark in a year or two I reckon, with his frame.

Pace isn't an issue. Not fast nor is he overly slow and with his composure and vision, he's rarely going to be caught.

Best disposer of the football in the team.
Best decision maker in the team.
No other player in the team has the time and space in congestion that he has. Murphy gets around the opposition by decelerating and side stepping. Gibbs does it through composure and the slightest of movements. An absolute pressure to watch.

His end to the season last year was simply brilliant. Struggled in the final but prior to that clearly our best player. 28.4 touches and 1.2 goals a game in the last 10 weeks of the H&A is testament to that.

I do agree entirely with Jeremias. His biggest issue for mine is that he lacks intensity at time and doesn't work hard enough. Nothing wrong with his work in congestion as he shows every time he's played in the midfield/forward of centre. Has much more of an impact there than he does on a HBF. His marking is improving, too. Will be a very solid mark in a year or two I reckon, with his frame.

Pace isn't an issue. Not fast nor is he overly slow and with his composure and vision, he's rarely going to be caught.

It still doesn't change the fact that you passed on Joel Selwood with your cheap number one draft pick. Selwood is several levels above Gibbs, and I can't see him closing the gap.

Its amusing to see people think that because he is the guy we want delivering the ball that he cant go in and get the ball.
His work in close is extremely underrated. good player.

Good player, yes, but he's no star. You'd expect a guy who was drafted with the number one pick in a super draft to be a 'good' player.

It still doesn't change the fact that you passed on Joel Selwood with your cheap number one draft pick. Selwood is several levels above Gibbs, and I can't see him closing the gap.

Disagree. First thing, Gibbs is clearly the second best player of the draft. Your scorn would be much better directed at the other teams who passed on Selwood.

Secondly, I firmly believe that there was very little seperating Gibbs and Selwood in the second half of last season. Definitely not 'several levels'. Fairly even for the most part.

Disagree. First thing, Gibbs is clearly the second best player of the draft. Your scorn would be much better directed at the other teams who passed on Selwood.

Secondly, I firmly believe that there was very little seperating Gibbs and Selwood in the second half of last season. Definitely not 'several levels'. Fairly even for the most part.

I'd take Tippett and possibly Boak over Gibbs. Slow, outside midfielders are a dime a dozen these days.

Good player but I don't think he has that much hurt factor yet. Also he needs to get more hardball, basically he is exactly like a young NDS.

Rubbish. Every single Geelong player knows how to go and get the footy in a contested situation.

And Carlton r full of Geelong type players aren't they? Full of top flight 100-200 game players? Have a look at Geelong 5 or 6 years ago when their stars of today were young barely 50 game players:rolleyes:

Never said Gibbs wouldn't b expected to go into contested situations and win the ball..........but that it is preferable that Gibbs is the one who kicks the ball forward which means you try to set him up with some space - difficult to do if he is constantly in the middle of the pack. Not every player of worth is like Ablett or Judd especially at 21.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bryce Gibbs, a class act

Remove this Banner Ad

Back