Traded Bryce Gibbs [traded to Adelaide] - (cont. in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton has had only had 3 all Australian players in the last 10 years.

One was the afl mvp, one was the Coleman medalist, and one was a dual brownlow medalist.

You need to be a pretty damn good player in the navy blue to be selected in such a subjective team
Yeah, it's a conspiracy Sloane was named vice captain in the all-Australian team & Gibbs couldn't even make the squad. Must have been all those ex-crows on the selection panel.

Given Carlton's awesome season, I can't understand why atleast half a dozen of your players didn't make the aa team lol... ;)

Yeah, it's q conspiracy Sloane was named vice captain in the all-Australian team & Gibbs couldn't even make the squad.

Given Carlton's awesome season, I can't understand why atleast half a dozen of your players didn't make the aa team lol... ;)

Carlton have been finalists 4 times in the last 10 years and only 3 players have made all-Australian teams.

Clearly, you basically have to of won an individual award to be considered for the all-Australian squad as a blues player.

That's not an opinion, that's the reality of the situation.

Carlton have been finalists 4 times in the last 10 years and only 3 players have made all-Australian teams.

Clearly, you basically have to of won an individual award to be considered for the all-Australian squad as a blues player.

The reality is most good judges have Sloane in the all-Australian team & Gibbs is nowhere near it.

Only a biased 1 eyed supporter could think Gibbs is better than Sloane.

There is no conspiracy, just delusion!

Using your logic, Cripps is currently a better player

No, Sloane is an All Australian who impacts the game far more that Cripps.

Cripps has a longer career ahead of him and hopefully more upside - hence arguably being worth more - but Sloane contributes MUCH more presently. And even forgetting the intangible and the value of what he does, on pure stats the only thing that Cripps is doing more of than Sloane is dinky little handballs in the inside because he hasn't developed the outside part of his game yet.

And Gibbs? Not a single person alive, not one, would take Gibbs before Sloane.

If I was offered Sloane for Gibbs, I would keep Gibbs.

If Carlton had half a decent side around Gibbs, a lot more people would hold the same opinion

LOL.

Sorry, but your opinions don't hold much value then. You've just outed yourself as horrendously one eyed.

The same 90% who told us that Eddie betts and Sam Jacobs weren't worth first rounders.

Being a Carlton fan you learn pretty quickly that once a player pulls on the navy blue, their rating amongst the general football public diminishes.

It's nothing new.

They wouldn't have been worth first rounders if they stayed at Carlton.

No disrespect, but there's a great history of players doing better once they leave Carlton - or they're broken and they can't be fixed, which I hope isn't true for Yarren and Menzel.

Im not sure the conversation should be about value for Gibbs. Personally I'd be looking for at least another top 10 pick to continue our rebuild. Value aside, the crows don't have a pick that high. That is the only reason Carlton would trade Gibbs.

I'd hope we don't trade him, as the reality is any pick we get wont be high enough for it to be worthwhile. Gibbs is the type that could easily play into his 30s behind the ball on a flank/back pocket. He has a few decent years in the midfield before that. He's been pretty durable for most of his career, but he does need a little more consistency though, to push for AA.

Sloane is clearly a more complete player, but I don't there is a massive gap between him and Gibbs. But there is certainly a gap all the same.

Gibbs is contracted. If unders are on offer happy for the club to keep him. Probably has 5 very good years left.

It won't be unders. It will be our first - for you to use for Marchbank - and perhaps something minor as well.

The first statement is the reality.

The second is a paranoid opinion.

You had Murphy there during a mediocre year, you had Judd and Fev there during the three good years you had, and you've been terrible every other year since 2001.

You've had three good years and one middling one in the last 15 years.

However, I feel you're taking this thread off track and I won't be commenting on it any further as the mods like to ban people who go off subject.

Just a point of interest - has BG played many finals games? Has he been a good finals player - or wet the bed?

Also you guys play in some big games, how has he gone in that environment?

Our side has some terrible bed wetters - need someone that stands up

It won't be unders. It will be our first - for you to use for Marchbank - and perhaps something minor as well.
There no way possible the Crows would acquire Gibbs for there 1st rounder only we all know that, lets start from 1st rounder and let's see where we end up .
I'd suggest 1st 2016 and 2017 2nd rounder may get it done just. However I would not trade him for that. Go Baggers

Just a point of interest - has BG played many finals games? Has he been a good finals player - or wet the bed?

Also you guys play in some big games, how has he gone in that environment?

Our side has some terrible bed wetters - need someone that stands up
Bryice Gibbs is an elite footballer and beautiful distributor of the ball, précis long kicks into the Crows forwards would instantly make them more productive
Think about that for a minute.
If you want quality one must pay the price, a durable skilled footballer with at least 5 years in him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You had Murphy there during a mediocre year, you had Judd and Fev there during the three good years you had, and you've been terrible every other year since 2001.

You've had three good years and one middling one in the last 15 years.

However, I feel you're taking this thread off track and I won't be commenting on it any further as the mods like to ban people who go off subject.

Murphy won the afl coaches mvp the year he was all-Australian, fev was a Coleman medalist 2 of the three years he was an all-Australian and the third year he kicked 99 goals. Chris Judd is a dual brownlow medalist.

So it's not a paranoid opinion, my statement was a fact. The only Carlton players in the past 10 years to be awarded all Australian honors have been winners of individual awards.

Rory Sloane has never won an individual award, so if he was at Carlton he would never have been an All-Australian following the precedent.

Cripps has a longer career ahead of him and hopefully more upside - hence arguably being worth more - but Sloane contributes MUCH more presently. And even forgetting the intangible and the value of what he does, on pure stats the only thing that Cripps is doing more of than Sloane is dinky little handballs in the inside because he hasn't developed the outside part of his game yet.

I live in Adelaide, if Cripps played for the crows he would be hailed as the second coming of Jesus Christ.

Cripps had 70 more clearances than Sloane this year, so 'dinky little ha balls' is most definitely not the only thing Cripps is doing more of than Sloane. The only person who is outing themselves as horrendously one-eyed is you

Based on 2016 form alone, the gap isn't nearly as large as you make out.

They play different roles, and Sloane a better tackler and one-percenter guy, and a better contested ballwinner, while Gibbs a better attacker, rebounder and outside ballwinner. Everything else (including clearances, disposal efficiency and clangers, surprisingly) is relatively even.

They would compliment each other well in the same side, but there's not some great gulf between their ability as footballers.

Last edited:
Bryice Gibbs is an elite footballer and beautiful distributor of the ball, précis long kicks into the Crows forwards would instantly make them more productive
Think about that for a minute.
If you want quality one must pay the price, a durable skilled footballer with at least 5 years in him.
That doesn't answer the question at all.

We know that stuff. What I'm asking is ....does he have a good record in finals/big games?

If Gibbs did want to leave and Carlton wanted to free up cash to bring in Mitchell the Crows pick 13 would get th3 job done. But highly unlikely Gibbs will leave. Crows have more chancell in landing Rockliff

Gibbs is probably worth pick 13 and 2017 second. However, theres like 12 B+ or A- midfielders available this period, if Carlton doesn't want to trade Gibbs, Adelaide can just have a go at Hartlett/Mitchell/Rockliff no problem. It's a buyers market for midfielders, if the Adelaide trading/recruitment department has had any level of education nothing more than pick13 will be offered.

Actually it really isn't paranoia. It's unfortunate fact. The selection committee isn't well disposed towards Carlton and it's been that way for many years.

If you want a more recent example you only have to look at Patrick Cripps not even making the 40 when he was the leading clearance and contested player in the league this year. Champions Data wrote about how astounded they were that he didn't make the first cut before the the final team was announced.

Actually it really isn't paranoia. It's unfortunate fact. The selection committee isn't well disposed towards Carlton and it's been that way for many years.

If you want a more recent example you only have to look at Patrick Cripps not even making the 40 when he was the leading clearance and contested player in the league this year. Champions Data wrote about how astounded they were that he didn't make the first cut before the the final team was announced.
Not to mention missing out on the rising star because apparently it's now a kpp award.

...except for this year sorry weiters

Yeah, there's no way Adelaide would do that. Not for a 28 year old Gibbs.

You could maybe get a first. He's good enough to expect that. More isn't realistic.

Then it wouldn't be worth Carlton doing the deal. You don't give up a genuine A grader (even at 27) for pick 13 that will get pushed back to about 16. You turn a known quantity into a speculative pick. If he's happy to stay, then we won't trade unless there is a remarkable offer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Bryce Gibbs [traded to Adelaide] - (cont. in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back