Traded Bryce Gibbs [traded to Adelaide] - (cont. in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Cripps had 70 more clearances than Sloane this year, so 'dinky little ha balls' is most definitely not the only thing Cripps is doing more of than Sloane. The only person who is outing themselves as horrendously one-eyed is you

No. Look at the stats. He has massive handball numbers and good clearance numbers and actually very low kicking numbers for a mid.

He gets sharp, close-in handballs at the contest. That is indisputable on every level.

Gibbs is probably worth pick 13 and 2017 second. However, theres like 12 B+ or A- midfielders available this period, if Carlton doesn't want to trade Gibbs, Adelaide can just have a go at Hartlett/Mitchell/Rockliff no problem. It's a buyers market for midfielders, if the Adelaide trading/recruitment department has had any level of education nothing more than pick13 will be offered.

Except those players need to want to go to Adelaide first, which for now at least, nothing of the sort has been mentioned.

Only one out of those 3 that looks possible is hartlett since he is already living in Adelaide and Port are open to trading him

Murphy won the afl coaches mvp the year he was all-Australian, fev was a Coleman medalist 2 of the three years he was an all-Australian and the third year he kicked 99 goals. Chris Judd is a dual brownlow medalist.

So it's not a paranoid opinion, my statement was a fact. The only Carlton players in the past 10 years to be awarded all Australian honors have been winners of individual awards.

Rory Sloane has never won an individual award, so if he was at Carlton he would never have been an All-Australian following the precedent.

You understand the difference between correlation and causation, right?

Good players win awards. Good players get selected in All Australian teams. It correlates that award winning players are in the All Australian team.

But you don't have to be an award winning player to be in the AA side.

If Rory Sloane was at Carlton he may not have been All Australian, but that's because he would have been in a terrible side and would have found it hard to have as good a season.

You have had three good seasons in the last fifteen. That seems a more obvious reason for your lack of representation than - what? You think the judges are prejudiced against Carlton?

Actually it really isn't paranoia. It's unfortunate fact. The selection committee isn't well disposed towards Carlton and it's been that way for many years.

If you want a more recent example you only have to look at Patrick Cripps not even making the 40 when he was the leading clearance and contested player in the league this year. Champions Data wrote about how astounded they were that he didn't make the first cut before the the final team was announced.

We would say the same about Rory Laird. Had a massive year, enormous shocker to miss out. Every club has examples like that.

Stop thinking you're so special. No one has a bias against Carlton because no one cares that much. You haven't have players acknowledged because your teams have been terrible.

We need to consider relative value as well rather than pure value.

If Adelaide think Gibbs could be the difference from being around 5th to actually winning the premiership, his relative value to Adelaide increases above his actual pure value.

And I think Gibbs could make that difference for them.

Also Gibbs has many years left on his contract.

For a shot at a premiership, Adelaide should absolutely be ok with trading their 2016 first, 2017 second and a player like grigg or yolman.

That's pick 13, hypothetically 35ish and a depth player...totally worth it for a genuine crack at a premiership, even if it is slight overs in terms of gibbs' pure value.

Not to mention missing out on the rising star because apparently it's now a kpp award.

...except for this year sorry weiters

Didn't Weitering vote well in the Rising Star, especially considering he fell away during the year? I think that proves you wrong, actually.

No. Look at the stats. He has massive handball numbers and good clearance numbers and actually very low kicking numbers for a mid.

He gets sharp, close-in handballs at the contest. That is indisputable on every level.
You said the only stat he had over Sloane was loopy handballs. Ignored the fact that he smashes Sloane at the coalface

We would say the same about Rory Laird. Had a massive year, enormous shocker to miss out. Every club has examples like that.

Stop thinking you're so special. No one has a bias against Carlton because no one cares that much. You haven't have players acknowledged because your teams have been terrible.
You might not care very much, but I can promise you that Kevin Bartlett does. And he's on every committee.

If Adelaide think Gibbs could be the difference from being around 5th to actually winning the premiership, his relative value to Adelaide increases above his actual pure value.

For a shot at a premiership, Adelaide should absolutely be ok with trading their 2016 first, 2017 second and a player like grigg or yolman.

That's pick 13, hypothetically 35ish and a depth player...totally worth it for a genuine crack at a premiership, even if it is slight overs in terms of gibbs' pure value.
None of us can be certain of course but what we are hearing is that it's not us orchestrating this. Gibbs has kids now and wants to come home.

Now of course if you're a victorian going home to melb eg Danger this is completely understandable and a God given right.

If it is the case that he has approached both clubs to broker something for personal reasons then you may find a 1st plus swap of later picks is agreed.

If we had come shopping and we're trying to extract then it's a different story.

Except those players need to want to go to Adelaide first, which for now at least, nothing of the sort has been mentioned.

Only one out of those 3 that looks possible is hartlett since he is already living in Adelaide and Port are open to trading him
I think HH is least likely. Will be lynched here if he crossed over . We've targetted Rocky a long way out and, if his salary can be satisfactorily restructured he's the one in the frame.

I think Gibbs is one we weren't expecting

Interesting way to look at it , I guess. Let me think about it while I have some visitors. Would depend on who else we are chasing and the value we place on them. Its called The Dangerfield/Henderson play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You said the only stat he had over Sloane was loopy handballs. Ignored the fact that he smashes Sloane at the coalface

Firstly - you're taking the thread in irrelevant directions.

Secondly - I used the phrase "dinky", not loopy.

Thirdly - the clearance stat is measuring these dinky handballs, and the fact that Cripps hasn't developed a well rounded game yet, and is still too focused on the inside. This is not a positive to support your argument.

Please start posting on topic.

That is a very interesting idea. No way Marchbank is worth pick 5. Gibbs for crows first, ontraded to gws. That makes more sense

I actually think our first would get Carlton Marchbank and Stewart.

Add Mackay (say) to that, and it is a good haul considering Gibbs has four or so years left and won't be there the next time Carlton are in the running for a flag.

Yes, that is a first and a second for a player with four or so years left. That offers good value for him.

We'll take your 2016 1st and your 2017 2nd .
Not interested in another of your Kerridge type plodders in Lyons .
Gibbs is contracted and happy at Carlton .
If by some chance Gibbs and Carlton are happy to facilitate a trade , Adelaide will pay Carlton's asking price .
That's it ...
That's all ...
If Adelaide wanna dance they will pay the band !!

I actually think our first would get Carlton Marchbank and Stewart.

Add Mackay (say) to that, and it is a good haul considering Gibbs has four or so years left and won't be there the next time Carlton are in the running for a flag.

You Crows need to stop flogging off Mackay to everyone ;)

Would rather just the 1st and try to convince you guys to give us one of your young mids (surely one of CEY, Lyons or Grigg will exit this off season), if no cigar than take the 1st

If by some chance Gibbs and Carlton are happy to facilitate a trade , Adelaide will pay Carlton's asking price .
That's it ...
That's all ...

Lyons is not a plodder. Better than Kerridge.

Have had time to think. Relative value is an interesting phrase. What value is he to Carlton should also be taken into account. Not only what he can bring to the Crows but what he does to Carltons list. ie he wont be part of Carltons side for its next flag. In essence he becomes a list clogger ( ;) see how easy its done) So what would the Crows pay for a list clogger? :D

Nah only joking. If Gibbs was our 1st target then yes we would more likely give pick 13 to Carlton. We might ask for a 2nd rounder but that's neither here nor there for me. But like the Dangerfield/Henderson scenario from last year we want others more than Gibbs. So his relative value is zero. We would rather trade nicely and Carlton get Gibbs for something rather than walk away.

What I can see happening is the AFC , if all reports are correct, going for Rockliff with 2016 1st rounder. Once Rockliff is secured then and only then would we look to do a deal with Carlton. This may well be 2017 1st Rounder, but I doubt it would be this years alone. By all accounts the AFC are big time into a big FA for next year ie Fyfe or Martin or even Rockliff at that time. So we may need 2017s 1st for them.

That's it ...
That's all ...
Wow didn't realise SOS posted on BF. Welcome SOS!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back