Buckley’s silence is deafening

Remove this Banner Ad

Guys i think that Buckley may coach at Richmond,but only as an assistant.
I think the tigers need someone with some experience and know how to go in and turn the club around......Candidates for senior role could be Williams,mathews,Malthouse will be re signed by pies for two years according to BT on triple M.
So young coaches under consideration for senior role are Hardwicke,Campbell,Sumich,Chris Bond........King will be strong contender as caretaker.
Good luck who ever takes over the reins will help turn the club around in the long term.

Buckley’s silence is deafening. Sitting in the studio as a paid commentator on AW, when the talk back callers were adding their two bob on who should coach this and next year, some questions were directed at him that he should take the job, he simply didn’t respond at all. Just complete silence.Talk about keeping your cards close to your chest. Add to that, Healy and Russel didn’t quiz him even in a light hearted manor. Somethings up. The way he totally avoided any response tells me he must be entertaining the idea.

Let's hope there's something in it.

i dont think buckley has the balls to take on the "career killer" job of the century !!

It would only be a "career killer" if he's no good.

Nathan Buckley
  • Born in Adelaide 1972
  • 1992 Magarey Medalist
  • 1992 Port Adelaide Premiership player

Port Adelaide
  • Yet to extend Mark Williams contract which expires at seasons end.
1 + 1 = 2 ;)

Nathan Buckley

* Born in Adelaide 1972
* 1992 Magarey Medalist
* 1992 Port Adelaide Premiership player

Nathan Buckley
  • Born in Adelaide 1972
  • 1982 Northern Teritory
  • 1992 Magarey Medalist
  • 1993 Brisbane Bears
  • 1994 Collingwood
  • 2010 Richmomd
Just to complete the picture;)

Profile coach didnt work in the last 5 years? so what makes you think the above will:confused:

They are not profile coaches - IMO they are great coaches, full stop. Sure they have profile but this is because of what they have done and continue to do as coaches - not as ex-players in the media or as once great coaches who are on the wane. Malthouse may be the exception but every time you give him a knock up he pops and pulls off something out of his backside - last year it was the suspend didak and the shaw boys and the maggies win 3 in a row before beating the Crows in an away final.

Nathan Buckley
  • Born in Adelaide 1972
  • 1982 Northern Teritory
  • 1992 Magarey Medalist
  • 1993 Brisbane Bears
  • 1994 Collingwood
  • 2010 Richmomd
Just to complete the picture;)

Would be nice, but I doubt it. The coaching merry-go-round will start now to get the best signature first.

Clubs likely to be seeking new coaches this year
  1. Richmond
  2. Collingwood
  3. Port Adelaide
  4. Kangaroos

Elaborate? Not having a go here, I believe he does have the skill set. Interested in your opinion.

He has zero coaching experience

Nor has he ever been able to inspire his teamates to the ultimate prize, he played for himself and individual medals not the team.

You got Buckleys of that happening.

Yep.

Bucks will not take on the senior coaching position at Richmond.

It is career-suicide, particularly for an aspiring young coach.

Lets face it, Punt Rd has been a death trap for a dozen coaches over the last 20 years or so.

He may do an apprenticeship as an assistant but he won't be taking on the head coach role.

The only senior coaching position he will entertain is that of Collingwood's. The only other smokey may be Port Adelaide.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep.

It is career-suicide, particularly for an aspiring young coach.

The only senior coaching position he will entertain is that of Collingwood's.

Keep clinging onto that hope. You will most likely be stuck with MM and going around the boundaries for a little while yet. :thumbsu:

I'm 100% positive any young coach who is yet to be invited to the big dance would jump at the opportunity. These guys like Hinkley, Hardwick, Bond, etc... many of whom have been on shortlists for jobs in the past. They would not pass that up, Richmond is only a coach killer if you pick dud after dud at the draft table - Frawley & Wallace.

Now this may be very different for Buckley as he's just getting started in coaching roles but to say "It is career-suicide, particularly for an aspiring young coach" is just naive and stupid.

He has zero coaching experience

Nor has he ever been able to inspire his teamates to the ultimate prize, he played for himself and individual medals not the team.

one of the most idiotic statements ive ever read. he hasnt been able to inspire his team to the ultimate prize, so if rocca had of kicked 1 ball straight and they had beaten brisbane he would be an ok coach to appoint in 2010 ? he lead a pretty crappy list to 2 grand finals in a row,noone could ever question him as a player he was an absolute champion no question at all.how ridiculous.

Obviously Bucks' first choice will be the Pies, but if MM is resigned, I reckon he will apply for the Tigers job. I'd rather you blokes have him then the filthy Port. He will do wonders I reckon, seems to know so much, and he'll play a direct gameplan, I can guarantee that, because he always bags Mick's boundary line game.

Would be nice, but I doubt it. The coaching merry-go-round will start now to get the best signature first.

Clubs likely to be seeking new coaches this year
  1. Richmond
  2. Collingwood
  3. Port Adelaide
  4. Kangaroos

I think you will find it will be more like,

1. Richmond
2. Kangaroos
3. Collingwood

Hope it runs like this however,

1. Richmond
2. Port

Buckely is a Collingwood cheerleader..forget him

Cuzz for Captain/Coach...

you know it makes sense..

Keep clinging onto that hope. You will most likely be stuck with MM and going around the boundaries for a little while yet. :thumbsu:

I'm 100% positive any young coach who is yet to be invited to the big dance would jump at the opportunity. These guys like Hinkley, Hardwick, Bond, etc... many of whom have been on shortlists for jobs in the past. They would not pass that up, Richmond is only a coach killer if you pick dud after dud at the draft table - Frawley & Wallace.

Now this may be very different for Buckley as he's just getting started in coaching roles but to say "It is career-suicide, particularly for an aspiring young coach" is just naive and stupid.

I have no issue extending MM's contract beyond this season. You don't slam on 9 goals in a qtr of footy hugging the boundary. Also, MM's "controversial" style has yielded 5 GF's and many finals appearances. His development of young kids and getting them to deliver in big games is also incredible. The same cannot be said for the young players at Richmond under any of the dozen coaches you have trialled.

Mick has also been able to stabilise the club for the period of a decade without it becoming a circus.

Just remember, you can't play finals footy from 9th. Mick is a master in his trade. Whether it's Mick or Bucks we are in a wonderful position to capitalise.

As for the "career-suicide" comment regarding Bucks and Richmond, it is. Sure, many young hopefuls would jump at the opportunity to coach a senior AFL side, however, someone with minimal experience taking on a job renowned for failure and damnation is very unwise. There is a history there that cannot be overlooked. It is a death-trap, which is why an experienced type such as perhaps a Williams or Malthouse is required because they are the types capable of an enormous task such as Richmond.

How does the old expression go, you've got Buckley's chance of seeing this legend coaching Richmond next year and beyond.

I have no issue extending MM's contract beyond this season. You don't slam on 9 goals in a qtr of footy hugging the boundary. Also, MM's "controversial" style has yielded 5 GF's and many finals appearances. His development of young kids and getting them to deliver in big games is also incredible. The same cannot be said for the young players at Richmond under any of the dozen coaches you have trialled.

Mick has also been able to stabilise the club for the period of a decade without it becoming a circus.

Just remember, you can't play finals footy from 9th. Mick is a master in his trade. Whether it's Mick or Bucks we are in a wonderful position to capitalise.

As for the "career-suicide" comment regarding Bucks and Richmond, it is. Sure, many young hopefuls would jump at the opportunity to coach a senior AFL side, however, someone with minimal experience taking on a job renowned for failure and damnation is very unwise. There is a history there that cannot be overlooked. It is a death-trap, which is why an experienced type such as perhaps a Williams or Malthouse is required because they are the types capable of an enormous task such as Richmond.

How does the old expression go, you've got Buckley's chance of seeing this legend coaching Richmond next year and beyond.

I wasn't referring to your 'coach killer' comment in regards to Buckley, hence my comment on saying 'This may be very different for Buckley'. I was suggesting that your comment It is career-suicide, particularly for an aspiring young coach" is very naive. The reason coaches have failed at Richmond in the past is very poor choices at the draft table which kills the list and destines you for failure.

I'll tell you what, I would not like to go to North as a young upcoming coach with the current financial situations they're in either. North are paying out close to 100 grand each home gome becuase their supporters don't show up and Port are having to ask the AFL for handouts. Their list isn't much better either.

Nathan Buckley
  • Born in Adelaide 1972
  • 1982 Northern Teritory
  • 1992 Magarey Medalist
  • 1993 Brisbane Bears
  • 1994 Collingwood
  • 2010 Richmomd
I always had a feeling that Nathan Buckley will coach an AFL side one day, Nathan Buckley is great bloke.
I reckon if he was given a chance by Richmond, he will do well.
I agree with Nathan Buckley we need a big clean out of those players that are not going to there in the future.:cool:

I wasn't referring to your 'coach killer' comment in regards to Buckley, hence my comment on saying 'This may be very different for Buckley'. I was suggesting that your comment It is career-suicide, particularly for an aspiring young coach" is very naive. The reason coaches have failed at Richmond in the past is very poor choices at the draft table which kills the list and destines you for failure.

I'll tell you what, I would not like to go to North as a young upcoming coach with the current financial situations they're in either. North are paying out close to 100 grand each home gome becuase their supporters don't show up and Port are having to ask the AFL for handouts. Their list isn't much better either.

I wholeheartedly agree with what you are saying.

I was basing my comment on Bucks, not any other aspiring young coach i.e. Hardwick/Campbell etc due to the fact that he has had minimal coaching experience for a position of the magnitude of Richmond's. Richmond is undoubtedly the toughest gig in football (for obvious reasons) and the focus and pressure Bucks would be subscribed to is not what he would want as a first-time coach.

As for the North/Port financial troubles, I too agree that somebody like Nathan Buckley would find it difficult to cope with, which is why I cannot see him at either of these clubs, however Port are the smokey for me.

If Bucks is to coach next year, it's Collingwood or he will be an assistant elsewhere.

Buckely is a Collingwood cheerleader..forget him

Cuzz for Captain/Coach...

you know it makes sense..
Please return to the West Coast board.
All you do is talk about Ben Cousins, he is just one player

Remove this Banner Ad

Buckley’s silence is deafening

Remove this Banner Ad

Back