Buckley can't coach

Remove this Banner Ad

David Parkin said on radio last night that it requires 28 players capable of stepping into a senior side to have the depth required to win flags. He said he had 32 when Carlton won the flag in 1995. No one in all honesty could say we have 28. Take the injured stars out of the equation for the moment, and I doubt if we have 20 players up to AFL level. Our kids are too young and undeveloped.

1. Tarrant
2. Brown
3. Reid
4. Maxwell
5. Shaw
6. O'Brien
7. Tooves
8. Johnson
9. Clarke
10. Goldsack
11. Swan
12. Pendlebury
13. Thomas
14. Jolly
15. Ball
16. Blair
17. Wellingham
18. Wood
19. Sidebottom
20. Beams
21. Fasolo
22. Dawes
23. Cloke
24. Didak

We don't go past 24, and the depth isn't there to be considered an absolute legitimate contender. That doesn't mean we don't have the talent to get lucky. But it does mean Bucks is going to have raise a few players up to take some of the luck out of the equation. In previous seasons Malthouse has lifted players up to the mark over the course of the season. Several players from the the likes of Keeffe, Paine, Seedsman, Sinclair, Young and Ceglar just have to step up. How well Buckley brings them a long will go a long way to determining whether we have a real shot come September.

I've been saying that since the pre-season from hell. The loss of senior players from our list last year (Leroy and Leon) and the shocking run of injuries have really cruelled us. Losing Tarrant tonight won't help. And God help us if Cloke and Heater got injured tonight.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Leon went something stupid like 17 or so rounds with a 100% kick in record.

You can't tell me our kick ins from defence have been great. Out of the two games so far, they have been shit.

I'm not saying they have dashed our hopes, I always believed Leroy is coverable, as is Leon, but I think Leon is a big loss. I think we are hurting without his kick in skills.

But as people say, you can't look back you can only look forward.

I still believe if JMac had been given a chance... like the chance he has got at Port, then he could be a consistent player. He's not the difference either, I reckon he will be a bit like a Heath Scotland. Not given the chances then turns into a handy player.

Bucks is a real footy thinker and perfectionist, he will take the four points, but i doubt he will be that happy with is first win, the team was sloppy at best, and aside from ten mins, has a hell of a lot of improving to do. thankfully, the season is a marathon, and that will suit us now.

But we simply aren't ready to play a rampant Carlton on fire next week.

It will sting to lose to them.

Badly.

godzilla_facepalm.jpg

IT'S ROUND 2.

Buckley "can't coach", yet you're whingeing about the lack of depth of a side he inherited from Mick?

You're either a troll or we don't need a "supporter" like you.

Did I mention it's round 2?

Oh, and it's round 2.

Will be interesting to see the reaction from OP if the second coming of God known as Witts doesn't live up to his extremely reasonable hype if this is what happens post a Rd 2 win.

IT'S ROUND 2.

Buckley "can't coach", yet you're whingeing about the lack of depth of a side he inherited from Mick?

You're either a troll or we don't need a "supporter" like you.

You are wrong. We don't need one-eyed supporters like you. We need people who can be objective and see the game ahead of it being played. So we can drive the processes that lead to improvement.

Debate the issues.

Dawes in the Ruck..

Plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

It hasn't worked for the first two weeks and it robs Dawes of the potency of his forward play.

Two years ago when we won the flag, Dawes was on the verge of being a good power forward. He kicked 5 goals in a Carlton game and was the most damaging big man on the field.

Fast forward two years and Dawes is going to play in the second ruck against Hampson and Kruseur...

Something has gone terribly wrong here.

The whole game plan needs re-evaluating to make sure that Dawes main objective is to get back to his 2010 form as a damaging power forward not a make shift "spare parts" second ruckman and "Utility" player who is not this and is not that!!!

That decision starts with the coaching panel.

Not that Nathan Buckley has ever admitted he is wron.....

wron......

wron......

just like the Fonz!

You are wrong. We don't need one-eyed supporters like you. We need people who can be objective and see the game ahead of it being played. So we can drive the processes that lead to improvement.

Debate the issues.

Dawes in the Ruck..

Plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

It hasn't worked for the first two weeks and it robs Dawes of the potency of his forward play.

Two years ago when we won the flag, Dawes was on the verge of being a good power forward. He kicked 5 goals in a Carlton game and was the most damaging big man on the field.

Fast forward two years and Dawes is going to play in the second ruck against Hampson and Kruseur...

Something has gone terribly wrong here.

The whole game plan needs re-evaluating to make sure that Dawes main objective is to get back to his 2010 form as a damaging power forward not a make shift "spare parts" second ruckman and "Utility" player who is not this and is not that!!!

That decision starts with the coaching panel.

Not that Nathan Buckley has ever admitted he is wron.....

wron......

wron......

just like the Fonz!

Crap troll is troll. I'm done here, you're not worth responding to.

Buckley is in a unusual position as a first year coach. He's pretty much inherited a premiership side which has played in 3 grand finals while most other coaches have to start from the bottom. So quite justly there are expectations of him to take the side to the Grand Final. If they drop out of the top 4 then this hand over plan would be classed as a failure.

Comparing the way Collingwood played last night to last year, they don't seem to be the same side. They're weren't playing to the high standard to they way they were last year. Collingwood looked vulnarable and Richmond could have won the game but I think what stopped Richmond is they knew they had the chance to take down a highly rated opponent and seeing they are programed to fear success they choked in front of goal. Funny how Richmond started to convert in front of goal better when the game was blown out.

While it may be premature to judge Buckley at the moment and best to wait a few more rounds, the signs early is they don't seem to be as strong as last year.

What I don't really understand is why Bucks has changed a proven winning formula. I understand a coach wants to put his own stamp on a team... but if success is the ultimate goal and the team hasn't changed much from one of its most dominant dynasties, why would you change?

Bucks is still learning the caper. Stepping into the senior position is much tougher hill to climb than working as an assistant, so he'll get better... but perhaps even more reason to adopt the "if it ain't broke" formula...

I still think Collingwood are good enough list wise to play through this period and come out on top... but if it is self-induced Wobbles on Buckley's part... gee not a great start.

It's early days. Collingwood will get a LOT better and watch out when they do. I'm not going to trash the new coach yet.

What a silly thread, so in 2 games you can write off the coach and team? Wow want to pass on your magical powers to me? As for the media pundits saying the Blues will win the flag well they have no idea, what a joke like this thread.

Good win by the Pies especially by the defence. Turned off at 3/4 time after the game was in the bag. Sometimes good teams win games with fifteen minutes of dominance and this is exactly what Collingwood did.

Pies still have heaps of good players to come back...they only got Beams back this week after Taz got injured early. It gave some kids a chance to show something and I saw some good signs there. I was especially impressed with Keefe and Seedsman looked a likely type when he came on.

Buckley said his major focus this week was to tighten up the defense, rather than have the offensive shoot-out like last week.

We kept Richmond to 3 goals just before 3/4 time, before they scored a few in junk time when the game was done and dusted. Buckley did his job this week.

We are not playing Seedsman, Paine, Yagmoor, Keeffe, Sinclair and Rounds by choice. All things considered, with the sides we have had out there, pushing the Premiership favourites all the way and a scrappy win against a mid-level team is not too bad. Glass is half-full -no need for knee jerk reactions.

Collingwood will be there in September. If they don't look quite as strong you can't just blame Buckley surely-early days, players out etc He has to change the game plan imo because that manic, boundary line stuff is unsustainable in the long run-too sapping, too predictable so he is showing an intelligent and adventurous spirit-good for him.
Malthouse, like Thompson at Geelong-it was time to go. With Thompson- he made several lapses in judgement on and off the field in 2010 and we just shrugged our shoulders and later it became clear and right that he had moved on. Maybe Collingwood will find the same thing? Malthouse certainly showed lapses in judgement off the field last year? Good luck to Buckley and give him a go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mate, the Collingwood Big Footy board is not objective. They just go there to blow wind up each others backsides.

You had plenty of chances mate and now your just our version of starchamber!!!

As it is this thread is further proof that you haven't learnt, it's downright juvenile. Just look over the responses, half of them are declaring you a troll, doesn't that tell you that you need to think about how your posting?

Alas I don't want to assist in making this thread all about you (because deep down that's all you want) so in regards to the topic, I'm disappointed with the transition so far.

Structurally we have more holes than Swiss cheese. All to often in one on ones our players are allowing the ball and their opponent to get to the back of contests. Individuals within the team are thinking only of themselves and blazing away from 50+ metres out when they need to lower their eyes and spot someone up. 5 such occurrences spring to mind from last night in Fasolo, Sinclair, Goldsack, Swan and Cloke who all took long shot's on goal when they had short options on. The result from those 5 shot's was 2 behinds and 3 OOF. Finally I like the fact we're prepared to bring the ball into the corridor more often, because we became far too predictable last year, however the players are picking the wrong times to do it.

Is all of that down to Buckley's coaching? No, but some of it is and he will no doubt work to improve it being the perfectionist that he is. Also it is round 2 so there's bound to be kinks to iron out this time of year.

Let's be realistic we aren't going to go through the season 20-2 this year (TBH I don't think it's healthy these day's for any team to be up for so long) I think it'll be around a 16-6 season which should be enough for top 4. My only hope is that 9-10 of those win's come from round 11 onwards which I think is the plan this year.

FWIW I think we'll be about 5-3 after round 8 so the board will be well acquainted with Blessed by then.

Do you really believe that?
Eddie got Malthouse to Collingwood and he eventually delivered a flag.
Very easy for an opposition supporter to say Buck's will fail because he is Eddie's and Collingwood's love child........but didn't win a flag and had the reputation as a big headed player.
Soft target for a site like this IMO.

Where in my post did i say Buckley will fail ?

I simply took the view Mathouse is a better coaching option than Buckley but Eddie doesn't

He will be a little worried about the defense at the moment or more so the defencive preasure. Richmond had a hell of a lot of very gettable shots that is unusual for a premiership contender.

He will be a little worried about the defense at the moment or more so the defencive preasure. Richmond had a hell of a lot of very gettable shots that is unusual for a premiership contender.

Tarrant had a shocker. Nathan Brown and Maxwell were worse.

Cant believe that the defence leaked three goals in three quarters.

Tarrant had a shocker. Nathan Brown and Maxwell were worse.

Cant believe that the defence leaked three goals in three quarters.

I know your trying to be smart but even you have to admit Richmond had the ball in very dangerous spots far to often. Yes Richmond players missed but Carlt Geel WC may not.

I know your trying to be smart but even you have to admit Richmond had the ball in very dangerous spots far to often. Yes Richmond players missed but Carlt Geel WC may not.

Collingwood missed at the other end too. Richmonds key forwards were held goal-less.

Collingwoods defence especially the key backs Reid and Keeffe did very well. O'Brien and Toovey lifted their games from last week. The only Richmond forward that did anything was Miller and Maxwell as the third tall back is the ideal candidate to cover players like that.

What I don't really understand is why Bucks has changed a proven winning formula. I understand a coach wants to put his own stamp on a team... but if success is the ultimate goal and the team hasn't changed much from one of its most dominant dynasties, why would you change?

Bucks is still learning the caper. Stepping into the senior position is much tougher hill to climb than working as an assistant, so he'll get better... but perhaps even more reason to adopt the "if it ain't broke" formula...

I still think Collingwood are good enough list wise to play through this period and come out on top... but if it is self-induced Wobbles on Buckley's part... gee not a great start.

It's early days. Collingwood will get a LOT better and watch out when they do. I'm not going to trash the new coach yet.

He has to tweak it because Geelong exposed the cracks in Malthouse's game plan.

The same way Malthouse superceeded ours in 2010 with the press.

You can either come in and change it up to meet the new environment like Scott or cling to the way you have always done it and go down with the ship like Thompson and the Geelong players in 2010.

Collingwood are just doing what Geelong did last year; saving themselve,s taking it easy, doing enough to get the job done but nothing glamarous. Collingwood bolted out of the gate last year and they know it. This year, watch them take a more steady slow pace.

Remove this Banner Ad

Buckley can't coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Back