Bucky ON NOW.....

Remove this Banner Ad

I only heard the last half hour which was an interview about Bucky's career....lasting 3 minutes in the '83 Grand final before doing his knee. He said he had one touch in those 3 minutes so was on the way to a 30 touch game.

He talked about the lost '84 season as he recovered and the '85 season where he played 17 gasmes but had quad injuries and wad not played in the Frists in the finals. He played in the Reserves team. He said he played in the Reserves Grand final against Carlton and played "angry" because he was left out of the Firsts.

He said this was a good thing in the end because he just let himself go, kicked a bag, took some species and proved to himself that he could play again.

He said he had a really good preseason leading into '86 and had a really good year. He won lots of media awards but was second to Gary Ayres in the Hawthorn B & F.

There was discussion of "that kick" in '87 after the siren to beat Melbourne and put Hawthorn into the Grand Final.

Did he say that he would have kicked it without the 15m????

He said he thought he would have kicked it but would have had to hit it "sweet" and from the original distance accuracy was moe of an issue.

He went on to say he tells Melbourne people he would have got it as that makes them feel better, especially towards Jimmy Stynes

If anything we stifled his career. Every SOO game Bucky would play on the ball and rip it up. He would come back to us and we would chuck him on a HFF.

Good player and a nice bloke.

Funny you say that, my old man reckons Bucky could have won a Brownlow if he played on the ball most of the time. One of my favourite players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would ahve loved to see him play on the ball.

Amazingly talented player.

He was. The thing about him too, is he looked so unassuming. So when he unleashed these freak acts, and on a regular basis too, it was like WTF.

talking of bucky, has anyone got the photo of him about 6ft up in the air, horizontal, taking a speccy?

I think that you may be referring to the first 10 minutes of the 1986 grand final.

Great leap. Great photo.

Pity he did not take the mark.

I think that you may be referring to the first 10 minutes of the 1986 grand final.

Great leap. Great photo.

Correct. Didnt take the mark.
Was flying over Peter Motley.
Would have made Andrew Walker's look like a simple chest mark had he taken it.

Think it was a TAA (the now defunct airline) poster.

Correct. Didnt take the mark.
Was flying over Peter Motley.
Would have made Andrew Walker's look like a simple chest mark had he taken it.

Think it was a TAA (the now defunct airline) poster.

i was sitting directly behind that. quite possibly dropped the greatest mark of all time.what a player he was.

If anything we stifled his career. Every SOO game Bucky would play on the ball and rip it up. He would come back to us and we would chuck him on a HFF.

Good player and a nice bloke.

He played most of 1988 in the centre. Topped our average possessions at 25-odd per week. Played there a fair bit of 89 as well.

In fact the 5 goal game he had in the 87 prelim he was playing from the centre as well. Magnificent player.

Great leap. Great photo.

716fe889.jpg

Got it mounted on the wall in my pub, think Fosters put them out years ago. Commentator at the time said something like "if he had of taken that we would have had to change our mark of the year"

I remember bucky playing in the guts alot in 1988 and 1989.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bucky ON NOW.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back