Mega Thread Buddy Franklin moves to Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not completely outraged (yet) but I would really like to be shown the exact facts and figures of how this is all going to add up. Yes there are plenty of Swans moving on that will free up considerable spondools but still??!! You best believe I'm gonna start crapping on about WA being a more expensive place to live these days if this happens... We could've lured him home with that extra cash.

We heard this argument last year as well
Kieran Jack, Hanbury and Kennedy must be playing for chips

Surely Kennedy, Jack and Hannerbry would be on some pretty hefty coin.

Hanneberry's rookie deal went from 2009/10, and assuming he signed a three-year deal at better money, that takes him to the end of this season. You'd think his next deal would be the big money earner, not the last one.

Kennedy would've been on a small contract when he went up in 2010, and if he was still on the same contract before last season through this year, then the same would apply to him as Hanneberry.

So the Swans (with Bolton retiring, Mumford leaving and the possible off-loading of Reid) may not have Salary Cap problems at the moment, but you'd think the next few years wouldn't be too kind to them.

All of this (COLA aside) just goes to show that if salaries were public knowledge (like in the USA) then we could look at the figures ourselves and just see whether or no there's any trouble going on.

Also, whilst I realize Tipett and Buddy do play somewhat different roles, can they really fit all these talls in to the postage stamp that is the SCG?? I BLOODY WELL HOPE NOT!!
#fev&brown

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you put your logic hat on for two seconds this probably makes a lot of sense.

First, Hawthorn will get compensated more fairly then in FA given a trade is being arranged. Franklin most likely wants to have some input into adequately compensating the Hawks even if he wants out....doubt he is trying to screw anyone. Hawthorn will also have added bonus of extra salary cap space.....however, this might be burnt on upsizing a few existing contracts.

Swans are likely to be without Goodes, Mumford and possibly Reid and Okeefe....that is a fair chunk of coin right there and they could afford the buddy package with this in mind.

All in all, I imagine that when the dust settles both parties will be happy.

Surely Kennedy, Jack and Hannerbry would be on some pretty hefty coin.
The assumptions made on here are amazing.

Tell us all what they are on.

Great list management by the Swans & you know it.
Our mid to bottom end of our list runs on an oily rag!

Perhaps Everitt may move on as well w etc, etc.

The Swans are prepared to trade! Every club knows this. The Hawks are probably well informed on the matter.

If it's true that the Swans are offloading Mumford contract then I can see this working. Add in the retirements plus a pay cut for the likes of Goodes and OKeefe...

People will point to COLA and whinge. Meh. No-one was upset with COLA when Sydney missed the finals in 2009.

All I'll say is that this should be the spark to make the salary caps and player wages public ala NBA and NFL. If there was transparency over wages then no-one could be upset.

Pretty much. People forget that White was on a pretty ridiculous contract as well (negotiated when he was looking like a future superstar).

Also, people claiming that the COLA allows Buddy are by default acknowledging that we could afford Tippett without it. Clearly we're just really ****ing good list managers.

If rumours are true, at least we'll get a trade out of it, not some ridiculously bad 'compensation' from the AFL.
I prey this is true - but what trade chips do Sydney have? Was pretty pretty excited at trading with GWS - but Sydney don't even have a top 10 draft pick!!!!

Argh!

Don't want Mumford either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Buddy Franklin moves to Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Back