Building Matty's support Staff

Remove this Banner Ad

I respectfully refuse to offer my commentary because the "what are the specific and measurable KPI's of that person's performance" brigade will jump out in force. What I will say is I am hopeful there is widespread and sweeping changes through the entire football department.

Let's start with respected football thinkers and assistant coaches with impressive winning records (either assistants in the AFL or successful head coaches in lower leagues) in the coaching box.

Am I correct in saying that Roy Laird has a fear of flying and that is why he has never pursued any AFL gigs?

Nathan Bassett should be our #1 (realistic) target IMO.

Forward coach: Rodger James
Has played at Kersbrook and coached Barossa Districts in the past few years. Barossa Districts early in the year looked well oiled and well drilled, played some really attractive football and ended up finishing second in the minor round. There has been a whisper that Matty has seeked Rodger out. Rodger in his day was one of the best footballers of his generation, Great at extracting the ball, used the ball well in trafic and when in the open, Kicked goals and lead the PAFC to a Grand Final. He possesed football smarts and always seemed a classy communicator. Inteligent man, Good understanding of Football, I think he would make a Wonderful Forward coach and be a good influence on the young blokes coming through.

Midfeild coach: Brendon Lade
He was a dual All Australian ruckman and his ability to get the best out of Graham and Develop Graham like he has done this year has been phonominal. Even Vickery's progress this year seemed to really gain some momentum before fatiuge set in. I am sure Lade had some hand in the development of Martin and Edwards, Nason and Morton on the wings were good at running to the right spots and timming there runs.

Defencive coach: Nathan Bassett
His work at Norwood this year has been nothing short of outstanding. A rabble last year under Hill, a new strategy and his ability to communicate and relay the message to his troops has seen instant success. He played in some very good sides and under some very good coaches. All good coaches were Back Pockets in there playing days. Would be good to see the progress he could make with an already strong and soild back 5-6. If he could get the cohesian down there similar to that he, Truck and Bock shared, we may be saying Riewoldt is Trnegoves Bithc like Tredrea was Trucks Bithc

Assistant coach: Gary Hocking
His progress with the Geelong Falcons was outstanding, he is a known developer of young tallent. His 3 tier game plan may be simple, yet why reinvent the wheel? His honest, no nonsence aproach may be a breath of fresh air, he knows the workings of the club after the year here and a more senior role should be persued before we loose him.

Development coach: Stewart Dew
A year up in Sydney and two at Hawthorn, he has seen how the best clubs do it. His skills were sublime and I would love to have him tutouring our Half Backs and Half Forwards.

And you know what all these guys share, Pride. Rodger James did not want to walk away from the game but done it with some grace and class, Lade was the Best Ruckman in his prime, after the pride drove him back to the top after two broken legs, Bassett was never shy to put his head over the ball and copped plenty of hits in his time, Hocking was the heart and soul of the Gelong side through the Mid to Late 90's after the Blight era, he could teach a few players about pride in the Team and the Gurnsey, Dew was challenged by Clarkson, I doubt he would have made much of a differance to PAFC in 2008, but got fit and arguably won Hawthorn a Grand Final, Also the progress of Jack, Grundy and Hannebry this year Dew needs some credit for that.

Lade
Dew
Bassett

Surely there has to be a role at the club for Michael Wilson?? Not in the coaches box, but he has too many qualities not to be involved.

Surely there has to be a role at the club for Michael Wilson?? Not in the coaches box, but he has too many qualities not to be involved.

Get rid of Chocoraine, Wilson as a runner, who would you rather come and give you a Spray, Mr. Port Adelaide or Mr. Hard as Nails?

Lade
Dew
Bassett

sergeant-at-arms like in the bikies

Scott Camporeale and Brett Montgomery were mentioned as possible candidates on 10 news.

They also reported that Adam Kingsley is still expected to move back to Victoria.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Ford raised this point earlier in the year. With Laidley returning to Victoria I do think Matty needs someone with some experience as his 2IC.

I would like to see us push hard and see if we can sway Peter Jonas away form the Crows. He seems to have dropped off the planet lately and maybe being able to nurture our new coach through the early years might be enticing to him. Jonas isn't the type of bloke that puts up with much crap either, and would bring a differing perspective to out coaching panel.

Also, with Jonas, it's not like we'd have to convince someone to move from interstate.

Lets hope Laidely misses out on the Essendon job, and we have enough $$ to keep the other clubs at bay and he works for us as a Melbourne based forward scout watching 2 or 3 games a week in particular teams we play 1 or 2 weeks ahead as well as 5 or 6 and gets around and watches the other clubs train, keep up with the latest trend and watch u/16 + u/18 kids to plan for the future.

He has told the club that if he misses the Essendon job he is interested in doing the role mentioned above. Primus talked about him being in line to do this role this arvo when he was on 5AA.

Forward - Jason Cripps - He has been able to get the forward line to be very efficient. It is not his fault tha the midfield has been slow brining the ball forward at times.

Midfield - Peter Jonas - an old experienced head with exposure to the crows consistant style, Sydney's hard nosed style. Rumoured not to be happy at the crows.

Defence - Nathan Bassett - super coach in the making, state under 18 developed under him in 2009 like no other state team has developed. Norwoods ability to shut teams down has been amazing.

Development - Garry Hocking - his history at Geelong sugests he can develop talent.

Junior Assistant - Brett Kirk - try and look him in the eye if you haven't given 100%

Forward - Jason Cripps - He has been able to get the forward line to be very efficient. It is not his fault tha the midfield has been slow brining the ball forward at times.

Midfield - Peter Jonas - an old experienced head with exposure to the crows consistant style, Sydney's hard nosed style. Rumoured not to be happy at the crows.

Defence - Nathan Bassett - super coach in the making, state under 18 developed under him in 2009 like no other state team has developed. Norwoods ability to shut teams down has been amazing.

Development - Garry Hocking - his history at Geelong sugests he can develop talent.

Junior Assistant - Brett Kirk - try and look him in the eye if you haven't given 100%

I'd be happy with that group.

Forward coach: Rodger James
Has played at Kersbrook and coached Barossa Districts in the past few years. Barossa Districts early in the year looked well oiled and well drilled, played some really attractive football and ended up finishing second in the minor round. There has been a whisper that Matty has seeked Rodger out. Rodger in his day was one of the best footballers of his generation, Great at extracting the ball, used the ball well in trafic and when in the open, Kicked goals and lead the PAFC to a Grand Final. He possesed football smarts and always seemed a classy communicator. Inteligent man, Good understanding of Football, I think he would make a Wonderful Forward coach and be a good influence on the young blokes coming through.

Midfeild coach: Brendon Lade
He was a dual All Australian ruckman and his ability to get the best out of Graham and Develop Graham like he has done this year has been phonominal. Even Vickery's progress this year seemed to really gain some momentum before fatiuge set in. I am sure Lade had some hand in the development of Martin and Edwards, Nason and Morton on the wings were good at running to the right spots and timming there runs.

Defencive coach: Nathan Bassett
His work at Norwood this year has been nothing short of outstanding. A rabble last year under Hill, a new strategy and his ability to communicate and relay the message to his troops has seen instant success. He played in some very good sides and under some very good coaches. All good coaches were Back Pockets in there playing days. Would be good to see the progress he could make with an already strong and soild back 5-6. If he could get the cohesian down there similar to that he, Truck and Bock shared, we may be saying Riewoldt is Trnegoves Bithc like Tredrea was Trucks Bithc

Assistant coach: Gary Hocking
His progress with the Geelong Falcons was outstanding, he is a known developer of young tallent. His 3 tier game plan may be simple, yet why reinvent the wheel? His honest, no nonsence aproach may be a breath of fresh air, he knows the workings of the club after the year here and a more senior role should be persued before we loose him.

Development coach: Stewart Dew
A year up in Sydney and two at Hawthorn, he has seen how the best clubs do it. His skills were sublime and I would love to have him tutouring our Half Backs and Half Forwards.

And you know what all these guys share, Pride. Rodger James did not want to walk away from the game but done it with some grace and class, Lade was the Best Ruckman in his prime, after the pride drove him back to the top after two broken legs, Bassett was never shy to put his head over the ball and copped plenty of hits in his time, Hocking was the heart and soul of the Gelong side through the Mid to Late 90's after the Blight era, he could teach a few players about pride in the Team and the Gurnsey, Dew was challenged by Clarkson, I doubt he would have made much of a differance to PAFC in 2008, but got fit and arguably won Hawthorn a Grand Final, Also the progress of Jack, Grundy and Hannebry this year Dew needs some credit for that.

oh if this happened I would be one very happy man sign them up for 10 years:D:thumbsu:

Reported in today's tiser that Primus hopes to confirm the new coaching panel in the next two weeks.

The Australian reports that Cripps could also be gone, he has a list management position interview at West Coast.

In sterio. This is two good posts tiday, I think I may retire.

Just make sure you run your post through a spell-checker before you send it to the club - we don't want BF to get a bad (or worse) name.:D

Scott Camporeale and Brett Montgomery were mentioned as possible candidates on 10 news.

They also reported that Adam Kingsley is still expected to move back to Victoria.

Monty's name was mentioned at the club last night.

Super impressed with Norwood on the weekend. Very keen to get Bassett in even though I despised him as a Crow.

From the quotes in the paper today it sounds like Mattress wants Hocking and Trevena to stay in their development roles.

Monty's name was mentioned at the club last night.

I think 10 news mentioned he and Matty are good mates. One more 'M' name and we could get a decent sponsorship with MMM. ;)

Speaking of radio stations, Matty was just on MIX (and getting buzzed for every 'um' and 'ah' :D) and mentioned that he and Peter Rohde (sorry wapower ;)) were getting on the phones over the next couple of weeks to sound out assistants.

Remove this Banner Ad

Building Matty's support Staff

Remove this Banner Ad

Back