Bulldogs forward line=Dads Army!

Remove this Banner Ad

You'd think next year is their year to win it, because i would imagine it would be Aker's last and could well be Johnson and Halls last as well.

I'll be honest. I thought this year was their year to win it. They should be very dissapointed. I don't know that they'll be in striking distance again next year.

No. They'll basically be one of the scariest forward lines in the league. They already had the capability of big scores, this makes them even more formidable.

To be frank, I rate them as premiership favs for 2010.

i hope they win the premiership. it might go some way to erasing the notion that tanking and relying on a zillion draft picks is the way to win a premiership.

let's try and restore the sport into a game for men, not pubescent kids.

i hope they win the premiership. it might go some way to erasing the notion that tanking and relying on a zillion draft picks is the way to win a premiership.

let's try and restore the sport into a game for men, not pubescent kids.

To be fair, we've had a few early picks...

Cooney (at 1), Ray (3 or 4 - since traded), Walsh (4 or 5 - since delisted), Griffen (3), Williams (6)...

Like everyone, we haven't always got it right, but some drafts are more equal than others.... But good recruiting, good planning/drafting and a bit of luck certainly helps....

Obviously 3 of our 6 forwards are in the twilight of their careers, but they r not run of the mill 30 yo's which is why theyr on our list.
Despite age: Aker is still one of the best finishers and hes tackling/chasing was superb in the finals.
Johnno hasnt slowed much, hes fitness is incredible and can still find the goals.
Barry Hall at worst provides a big, marking target.
I agree they cant play at their lofty levels forever, but they r the best options for us at this point.
In terms of our 'window' just because these 3 have 1-2 years left doesnt mean we will fall apart when they retire. For those who have a knowledge of our list, the most important players (Lake, Cooney, Boyd, Murphy, Morris, Gilbee, Higgins, Griffen etc) are in the 23-27 range. Throw in the talented kids (WARD, Harbrow, Hill, Wood, picken) and you might find the dogs around the mark for some time yet!

aker may not get it much next year, but he still uses it so so well to create many opportunites, and his pressure was unreal last year. an you say they will run off him, did anyone watch the GF sprints last year? he won 2 of his heats and made the granny and was 5 years older then anyone else.

People have been saying johnson is at his end for the last 2 years, but is still going strong as an ox and fitness is 2nd best at the club behind cross.

Hall isnt injury prone at all and still averaged 3 goals a game last season. So his form is still there for now.

Of course they could fail. That is always the risk with older players and I am sure they are acutely aware of this. However, it would not be a backfire as they are hardly giving up the world for these guys (2 they already have and one is a late 3rd round pick in a shallow draft). So what would have been the alternative?? They use their 3rd rounder on another likely bust? What would be the difference to if Hall busts?

They need a player of Hall's calibre in the forward line to do anything special next year, so the risk he fails would have to be worth it. The potential payoff (premiership) is huge!

I'll be honest. I thought this year was their year to win it. They should be very dissapointed. I don't know that they'll be in striking distance again next year.

Why would that be, this year was dogs second year up top of ladder that usually lasts 4-5 years for clubs with good lists. Not to mention out of the the clubs with the better midfields going around ours is one of the youngest with Boyd, Cross in prime of career and Cooney, Griffen, Ward, Higgins, Picken still yet to even reach their peak.

They are already the highest scoring team in the league, Hall's addition will only take them further come PF's when the pressure gets to them, because of a short forward line. However, it is make or break, they must simply win a flag this year or next.

Hall,Johnson & Akermanis all over 30,this could backfire on them,thoughts?
They're not just over 30, but Aker and Hall will both be 33 before next season starts, while Johnno will be 34 during next season. If they use a wheelchair with thin tyres, then they may struggle because they could get stuck in the grass, but if they use a power scooter with wide tyres and good tread, then they should be quite okay!

Wheelchair.jpg

I don't recommend this one.

oimg_CA00192240.jpg

This scooter is definitely an improvement on a damp night on the M.C.G and the basket on the front could come in handy.

RedneckWheelchair.jpg

Now this one would definitely suit Big, Bad, Bazza!!!

They're not just over 30, but Aker and Hall will both be 33 before next season starts, while Johnno will be 34 during next season. If they use a wheelchair with thin tyres, then they may struggle because they could get stuck in the grass, but if they use a power scooter with wide tyres and good tread, then they should be quite okay!

Wheelchair.jpg

oimg_CA00192240.jpg

This scooter is definitely an improvement on a damp night on the M.C.G and the basket on the front could come in handy.

RedneckWheelchair.jpg

where do i get myself one of those? :eek: :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They are not looking to dominate the competition for years they just want a flag and if those players despite their age play at least as well as they did this year then i am almost completely sure the Doggies will wrap up a top 2/3 finish.

Now officially a premiership threat for the next 2 years. Can't believe though it took them so long to get that key forward.

Next 2 years = This pack of Dogs last stand.

I do not get the big deal with age. I would rather have 3 absolute quality over 30's than dud guys in their 20's.

How often are these 3 injured. Very rarely. Like many have said we were the highest scoring team before the signing of a key forward. Im now optimistic but the competition is going to be much tougher next year.

Ha KissStephanie, hilarious. You worry about your team 'turning up' in their prelim. Waiting for some stats involving supercoach scores telling us how much better Leigh Brown is than Barry

Fantastic pickup for the Bulldogs, the missing link in what they need for a serious grand final tilt.

On the matter of age, yeah sure its a risk adding another 30+ year old player to a forward line which already has two of them but surely in this case its more than justified. Three years from now they will be stuffed, but they just might have the 2010 premiership medal to show for it.

I should also note that many people were thinking Hawthorn were stupid for picking up a fat Dew at #45 in the National Draft yet his experience (including playing in a grand final before, just like Hall) led him to play a superb 5 minutes in the 2008 grand final which was a large part in us winning the flag. Hall cost the Bulldogs #47, its clearly worth the risk.

I'd stick to your statistics...you don't do humour well.

If your list management team concentrated solely on ability and impact instead of obsessing over birth certificates, they might have taken an actual ruckman two years ago, Ben Hudson, instead of a wally like Cam Wood - would have cost you less to get as well. If they have any brains this time around, they will be going hell for leather to get Jolly over the line, then at least you'll have your first decent ruckman since Peter Moore (apologies to Wes Fellows for his Copeland trophy year).

Why would that be?

Because they were good enough. Didn't take the chance that presented IMO. If you disagree that's fine and your perogative. I suspect there would be plenty within your club that agree with me.

Why would that be, this year was dogs second year up top of ladder that usually lasts 4-5 years for clubs with good lists. Not to mention out of the the clubs with the better midfields going around ours is one of the youngest with Boyd, Cross in prime of career and Cooney, Griffen, Ward, Higgins, Picken still yet to even reach their peak.

Meh. It is after all just an opinion. Barring a shocking 2007 you've been thereabouts for 4-5 years now. Don't underestimate the impact someone like Johnson or Akermanis has. North Melbourne saw with the retirement of many 90's champions that it can be difficult to know what you're losing until it is gone.

Very risky strategy by Dogs. It WON'T win them a premiership. All past their use by dates.

All 3 may not be at their peak but all 3 are still very good footballers who would get a game for any team in the land.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bulldogs forward line=Dads Army!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back