Moved Thread Bulldogs - one of the worst premiership fluke title defences I've seen

What ya think?

• Yes

• No

• This is dumb

• Jack Watts thinks that the dogs fluked it.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Still think expectations were too high on us because we are the premiers. I look at our Experience/Age/Weight/Height and measure it against our opponents each week and every single week since the bye we have been less in those areas. I do look forward to further development in 2018 and perhaps filling a few needs in the 2017 off season. 2019 and beyond is our window going by our age/experience profile.

I've mentioned this in other threads but I reckon this year will be the one the team look back on to remind themselves that they aren't the powerhouse team yet, we can't afford to roll up and expect to just get the job done. Could be the one that we need to achieve prolonged succes.

If you are gonna ask irrelevant questions let me ask you how many teams have a draw with the future 2017 premiers without one of their top ten players in the comp playing & 3 debutants like we did last week?

A lot less than your answer.
A draw? Even Carlton beat "the future 2017 premiers" :$ :$ :$

You're such a genius, the whole world should stop doubting you... but they do? Sad!

Bulldogs supporters aren't the whole world, a lot of other people agreed with me and your team is proving us to be more and more right with each loss.

Biggest fluke this century was their premiership last year. Dont underestimate the week off before finals rule change. Used to be a bonus for 2 top 4 teams that win week 1 of the finals. Dogs easily gained the most from that massive change by the AFL.

how is even 1 finals win a fluke? It's 4 quarters of football it's not like 5 minutes. 4 finals wins in a row isn't a fluke it's good form.

Probably already been said a dozen times but they weren't the best team last year, they were just the team in the best form during September.

how is even 1 finals win a fluke? It's 4 quarters of football it's not like 5 minutes. 4 finals wins in a row isn't a fluke it's good form.
Exactly. How was a fluke demolishing WCE by 8 goals at Pattersons. Unreal this mob.

Those are nine examples off the top of my head while I'm lit after watching my team get flogged.

There are more. The randomness of those I've selected says a lot.

Last year was "unprecedented" in how consistent it was in the top 7 teams ripping in to the others (and top 8 before north shat themselves).

Ah, well that explains why I'm not really sure what on earth you're arguing about. I think that, despite calling me a tool, you're actually agreeing with me, but I can't be sure.

In 2017 there is one team currently below 80% and no-one below 70%. Eleven teams are somewhere between 90-120%, with Gold Coast just falling outside that range. The two Adelaide teams are the only teams above 120%, with Adelaide (before tonight's healthy boost) in front, by a fair margin, on 135.5%.

In 2016, each of the bottom six teams were below 80%, the bottom two hovered barely above 60%, seven teams were between 90-120%, five had percentages above 130% and three were above 140%.

And if you go back further (say, to the expansion to 17-18 teams), 2016 is more like the norm: a handful of truly crap teams, not as many average teams and perhaps 3-4 teams who are considered to be legitimate flag threats by mid-August. 2017 has less completely hopeless teams and it's far more difficult to just pencil in a win against a team that is towards the bottom of the ladder. Hence, the win totals aren't as inflated as they have been in previous years. 14.5-15 wins is going to be easily enough to make top four, when in most previous years. The last time 58 premiership points would have been enough for a top four spot was way back in 2010.

I think they have been found out.
The fast paced gameplan where they flick it around and get goals out the back...
It's just not working as well anymore, when that style fails their tall fwds aren't performing and nor is their ruck setup.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As has been said, they were 7th after the H&A last year and came from nowhere to win it. Stunned everyone....because they really weren't THAT good.

They haven't suddenly become an unbeatable side.

Stringer for example had his head in the clouds from much of 2016 anyway, his 2017 is no premiership hangover - he's been vastly over rated for years.

Probably already been said a dozen times but they weren't the best team last year, they were just the team in the best form during September.
Many premiers have gone down that path.

Let's look at the 90's

Hawks 91
Arguably wce 92
Dons 93
Kangas 96
Crows 97 and 98
Roos 99

You can make a case for some if it not all of those not being the best team that year and none of those finished first on the home and away ladder. Crows finished 4 and 5 respectively. Hawks lost to wce twice in the home and away yet beat them twice in the finals WHERE it mattered. WCE nailed Geelong in their last 3 meetings out of 4 that season and beat the reigning champs twice. Lost two games late in melb to saints and dogs.

1996 kangas lost to swans by 13 goals at Optus yet murdered them in the big one.

Finals is where it counts though. Home and away means jack if you can't don't when it matters. Btw bombers lost to the blues in the qualifying final in 93, drew in home and away yet killed them in the gf. Lions 2003 and hawks 2015 lost in the first week of the finals yet got their revenge 3 weeks later. So even in the finals teams get done only to rebound.

Bullshit argument in any case.

What a knee jerk. Hawks 09 was far worse.

Collingwood 2011, Hawthorn 2012, Sydney 2013 were all the worst premiership defenders in AFL history as well :thumbsu:
The funny thing is we really weren't, the teams weren't all shit in 09' and we had crippling injuries that retired some players, left us basically playing Box Hill at times and for a few years we didn't have a real ruckman or key defender. The Dogs just suck. I don't even know what you mean with Hawthorn 2012.

What a horrible year that was. Tom Murphy on Nic Naitanui was not a good day.

As has been said, they were 7th after the H&A last year and came from nowhere to win it. Stunned everyone....because they really weren't THAT good.

They haven't suddenly become an unbeatable side.

Stringer for example had his head in the clouds from much of 2016 anyway, his 2017 is no premiership hangover - he's been vastly over rated for years.
Beat your mob home and away. Beat sydney in Sydney. Just lost to the hawks. They were actually pretty good. Two games off top spot and a game off the four with injuries suggests they were a pretty good side. Proved it when they mattered.

Knocked you guys senseless at Pattersons after you were coming off wins over GWS, hawks and crows. Two of the hardest trips in the comp you lot had and were in red hot form. To say you got pantsed is an understatement.

Finished 7th after H&A had a dream run in September. Virtually handed the cup by the umpires and AFL.

Clearly they are just an average team that got very very lucky.

Last year was like the 17 year old pimply guy that loses his virginity in a threesome to the hottest two chicks at school

It was the worst umpiring in a grand final i've ever seen.
Momentum sapping decisions everywhere, seriously amateur hour.

Must suck to know that I've been proven right about the Bulldogs being an average team that were carried to a flag by charitable umpiring in their favour.

You're being exposed for the frauds you are now.
Explain the fact that we're 2nd in positive free kick differential this year yet are sitting in 10th position? I thought there was a direct correlation, or is that only if it suits your clever argument? It's almost like our poor results this year are exposing you as the fraud.

Another fun fact - did you know St Kilda also missed finals the year after their only tainted flag win?

Beat your mob home and away. Beat sydney in Sydney. Just lost to the hawks. They were actually pretty good. Two games off top spot and a game off the four with injuries suggests they were a pretty good side. Proved it when they mattered.

Knocked you guys senseless at Pattersons after you were coming off wins over GWS, hawks and crows. Two of the hardest trips in the comp you lot had and were in red hot form. To say you got pantsed is an understatement.

Yep did for sure - not denying that. I didn't say they weren't a pretty good side - they were, but regardless of all that, they were the 7th best performed side over the regular season and hit hot form in the finals.

I wouldn't really consider the Eagles of 2016 as a barometer for anyone, with the exception of games you mentioned the team didn't fire a shot in anger all year.

I'm not surprised this is happening at all.
Have been very lucky in quite a few wins this year as well.
Beat North by under a goal both times.
In the second game won free kicks 26-14 and at half time it was 16-2 in their favour.
Were lucky to get over the Tigers as well, won by 5 pts free kicks 25 to 13
In the Sydney game in round 2 they had a 31-18 free kick count.

My point is they could be potentially even lower on the ladder.

I had to laugh at people saying they would automatically go on to a dynasty and GWS and the Dogs would be fighting it out for years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Moved Thread Bulldogs - one of the worst premiership fluke title defences I've seen

Back