Bulldogs v Saints 2021

Who will go better in 2021?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah carrying far too much weight ought to explain it.

Was it too much muscle/bulk, or just out of shape?
Some say fat but it looked to me he was just too bulky. Too much bulk limited the flexibility and speed he had in previous seasons. At the Saints he was lighter and taking speckys on people’s shoulders.
He probably did it to help naughts out muscle in the forward line. But Naughts is big enough on his own now.

He also looked like he was trying too hard.

For the dogs to play well they need Martin to be serviceable in the ruck and English to continue to develop.

Midfield is probably the deepest in the league and Naughton and Bruce should be able to be strong targets in 2021
I think Martin will be more the serviceable and if he has a good year I wouldn’t be surprised if he keep him around for a another year

I think Martin will be more the serviceable and if he has a good year I wouldn’t be surprised if he keep him around for a another year
Given that you have so much depth of quality in the midfield and ought to be able to cover for anything but an extreme amount of injuries there, Martin/English, Bruce and Naughton are probably the keys to your season.

They all have a good year, then you could be cooking with some serious gas.

Given that you have so much depth of quality in the midfield and ought to be able to cover for anything but an extreme amount of injuries there, Martin/English, Bruce and Naughton are probably the keys to your season.

They all have a good year, then you could be cooking with some serious gas.
I would say Alex keath is really important for us as well

I would say Alex keath is really important for us as well
Yeah good call. Who's your backup if he goes down?

One of the things that killed us in our final against Richmond was losing Ryder and Carlisle and not having suitable backups for them, so it's really good that we've been able to add McKernan and Frawley this year and now Mason Wood, so that we've got plug-and-play experienced backups in more key areas.

Last year we had a lot of depth in certain areas (especially down back, with previous regulars like Roberton, Savage, Webster and McKenzie all playing in the 2's), but this year it's much better balanced.

Yeah good call. Who's your backup if he goes down?

One of the things that killed us in our final against Richmond was losing Ryder and Carlisle and not having suitable backups for them, so it's really good that we've been able to add McKernan and Frawley this year and now Mason Wood, so that we've got plug-and-play experienced backups in more key areas.

Last year we had a lot of depth in certain areas (especially down back, with previous regulars like Roberton, Savage, Webster and McKenzie all playing in the 2's), but this year it's much better balanced.
If Alex keath want down with injury we have Lewis young as backup I was going to Ryan Gardner but he seems to be in the club’s best 22

He's there as a playing coach as much as ruck depth. Being on the playing list he's outside of the soft cap too.

The way the Saints have developed Marshall should be a blueprint for the way we develop English

According to today's Hun, 15 of the other 17 captains tipped St Kilda to play finals this year, while 9 tipped the Dogs to make it.

Surprised to see that few pick them. Hard to see how they won't be a better team this year (all-things-being-equal), especially with the additions of Treloar and Martin in particular. Would be a terrible result for them to miss. Reckon they're more likely to finish top 4 than outside the 8.

We're going to be without at least 7 of our best 22 (Ryder, Marshall, Crouch, Hannebery, Geary, Frawley and Paton) for at least the first two rounds, so we're going to be digging pretty deep into our depth stocks to start the year.

Last edited:
According to today's Hun, 15 of the other 17 captains tipped St Kilda to play finals this year, while 9 tipped the Dogs to make it.

Surprised to see that few pick them. Hard to see how they won't be a better team this year (all-things-being-equal), especially with the additions of Treloar and Martin in particular. Would be a terrible result for them to miss. Reckon they're more likely to finish top 4 than outside the 8.

We're going to be without at least 7 of our best 22 (Ryder, Marshall, Crouch, Hannebery, Geary, Frawley and Paton) for at least the first two rounds, so we're going to be digging pretty deep into our depth stocks to start the year.
Not necessarily a bad thing if teams are going to underrate us.

Both saints and dogs looking real impressive within their respective pre-season games. Can't wait to see how it all unfolds.

The Saints dealt with the Covid hub better than any other team and it translated into them outperforming last year. They shouldn’t be compared to a team like the Bulldogs but it’s only after a year like 2020 that they could be.
Expect to see the real Saints and Bulldogs this year. Bulldogs heading up the ladder and Saints likely to miss the finals as reality sets in.

The Saints dealt with the Covid hub better than any other team and it translated into them outperforming last year. They shouldn’t be compared to a team like the Bulldogs but it’s only after a year like 2020 that they could be.
Expect to see the real Saints and Bulldogs this year. Bulldogs heading up the ladder and Saints likely to miss the finals as reality sets in.
Didn't we beat you guys by a lazy 39 points and Richmond by 26 down here in Melbourne, before moving up to the hub? Or did I imagine that?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How many saints players would get a run in dogs midfield?​
How would the Dogs have gone this weekend without

Naughton (King),
English (Marshall),
Martin (Ryder),
Libba (Hannebery)
Treloar (Crouch)
Their equivalent of Jones (who came 6th in our B&F last year and was at one stage (in the 2nd half of the year) 10th in the AFLCA coaches votes)
Their full back (Frawley)
and their 2 best shutdown small defenders (Paton- who had the big jobs on the Papley/Cameron types last year and was rarely beaten, and Geary)?

Or how would Richmond have gone without their equivalents?

As it was you were only missing Houli, and yet you struggled to shake off a Carlton team who were missing Curnow, Williams, Martin, De Koening and whoever else!?

Naughton (King),
English (Marshall),
Martin (Ryder),
Libba (Hannebery)
Treloar (Crouch),
Their equivalent of Jones (who came 6th in our B&F last year and was at one stage (in the 2nd half of the year) 10th in the AFLCA coaches votes)
and their 2 best shutdown small defenders (Paton- who had the big jobs on the Papley/Cameron types last year and was rarely beaten, and Geary)?

As it was you were only missing Houli and yet you struggled to shake off a Carlton team who were missing Curnow, Williams, Martin, De Koening and whoever else!?

Richmond have won a few games over the journey with bad injury runs.

Why don't you answer my question?

Add Stefan Martin to the finals side last year and we win by 4 goals.

And now we have added him to our side.

Naughton (King),
English (Marshall),
Martin (Ryder),
Libba (Hannebery)
Treloar (Crouch)

As it was you were only missing Houli, and yet you struggled to shake off a Carlton team who were missing Curnow, Williams, Martin, De Koening and whoever else!?

Says more about GWS than Saints. If Himmelberg kicks that soda in the last, you lose.

I thought this before season, I have the Dogs as my roughie for the flag.

I think the Saints will be around 5th-8th in the home and away, win a final, but I have the Dogs ahead this year.
A lot depends on the ruck divisions.
If Stef stays fit we're a good chance for top four.
If the Saints don't get Ryder/Marshall back ASAP they won;t be as effective as they were last year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bulldogs v Saints 2021

Back