Burgatron's Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

3 - RICHMOND - Dustin Martin
DOB: 26/06/91, Height: 187cm, Weight: 86kg
Recruited from: Castlemaine/Bendigo Pioneers (VIC)
Draft range: 3
Meet Dustin Martin

Mark down this pick as the draft's cast-iron certainty. The Tigers have made no secret about their desire to recruit Martin, an attacking onballer who was All-Australian and averaged 25 disposals per match in the TAC Cup this year. Players with strong foot skills are a draft priority for Richmond, and Martin ranked equal second in the inaugural kicking test at this year's draft camp. With former top-three draft picks Brett Deledio and Trent Cotchin on board, the Tigers will soon have three class midfielders under the age of 23.

19 - RICHMOND - Luke Tapscott
DOB: 28/06/91, Height: 180cm, Weight: 86kg
Recruited from: Orroroo/North Adelaide (SA)
Draft range: 8-24

Meet Luke Tapscott

Richmond won't find many players with better foot skills than Tapscott. The powerfully-built midfielder/forward has been compared to Lion Daniel Rich and is widely acknowledged as the best kick in the draft, capable of thumping the ball more than 60 metres. The Tigers are massive fans of the 2009 All-Australian, but would also consider talls Jake Carlisle and Ben Griffiths, and the pacy Ryan Bastinac. Tapscott has strong hands, ball-winning ability and is fierce at the ball.

35 - RICHMOND - Ayden Kennedy
DOB: 31/10/91, Height: 192cm, Weight: 81kg
Recruited from: Wantirna South/Eastern Ranges (VIC)
Draft range: 24-41

Meet Ayden Kennedy

Kennedy was the quickest player at draft camp, running 20m in 2.88 seconds, and has since risen up the pecking order. With the retirement of superstar Matthew Richardson, Jay Schulz traded and Cleve Hughes delisted, the Tigers are looking to add personnel in attack and they are very keen on the athletic tall forward, who can also play down back. Kennedy will also be looked at in the 20s, with Essendon, North Melbourne and Adelaide all expressing interest.

44 - RICHMOND - Jamie Macmillan
DOB: 29/09/91, Height: 188cm, Weight: 81kg
Recruited from:
Scotch College/Oakleigh Chargers (VIC)
Draft range: 25-51
Meet Jamie Macmillan

The Tigers are understood to have Macmillan right in their plans, given that he suits a flanker/midfield need they are targeting. The Kangaroos will also be monitoring him closely, as they are strong admirers. Along with his flexibility, pace and clean hands, Macmillan's strongest attribute is his decision-making. One recruiter says he is freakish in that area. He is also a talented cricketer.

51 - RICHMOND - Joshua Cowan
DOB: 16/03/91, Height: 184cm, Weight: 72kg
Recruited from: Daylesford/North Ballarat Rebels (VIC)
Draft range: 29-85

Meet Joshua Cowan

A smart run-and-carry wingman/half-back, Cowan is composed and a fine reader of play. He has excellent endurance and fits Richmond's kicking bill, averaging 20 disposals at an efficiency rate of 78 per cent in the TAC Cup this year. Adelaide, Hawthorn and Collingwood have definitely shown interest.

67 - RICHMOND - Brayden Norris
DOB: 27/11/91, Height: 186cm, Weight: 69kg
Recruited from:
Alexandra/Murray Bushrangers (VIC)
Draft range: 44-71
Meet Brayden Norris

Norris' elite performances at draft camp helped promote his chances considerably. He equalled the beep test record held by Swan Jarrad McVeigh, achieving level 15.6. Norris also ran the 3km time-trial in 10.05 minutes. Richmond is looking to add to its attack and the hard-running forward is definitely in its thinking. His athleticism has also attracted the interest of Adelaide.

71 - RICHMOND - David Astbury
DOB: 26/02/91, Height: 195cm, Weight: 81kg
Recruited from: Tatyoon/North Ballarat Rebels (VIC)
Draft range: 50-rookie

Meet David Astbury

Astbury is a lead-up forward/key defender with strong foot skills - he was ranked among the top-10 in the kicking test at draft camp - putting him right in Richmond's calculations. He also possesses a strong work rate and good endurance for his size. Melbourne and St Kilda have also been mooted as possible destinations. North Ballarat Rooster Myles Sewell, Murray Bushranger Taylor Duryea and Northern Territory's Deon Gordon have also been linked with the Tigers.

Tapscott?

Can't see that this draft as predicted really addresses the key issues for us.

Astbury at 71 would be kinda cool.

No Houghton named....:eek:

Woot! Cowan at 51!

I dunno, I think the draft is ok from our standpoint. I'd say that if Tapscott wasn't available he would have selected a key position forward for us, but he has got us Kennedy and then Astbury (although is he a key defender?).

Overall I'd be ok with this draft, it's not the draft where you're going to get a lot of 'steals' as such, because as reported it really evens out after the first 10 picks or so.

For a quick reference, our selections are.......

3 - Dustin Martin (187cm, 86kg Midfielder)
19 - Luke Tapscott (180cm, 86kg Midfielder/Forward)
35 - Ayden Kennedy (192cm, 81kg Key Forward/Key Back)
44 - Jamie McMillan (188cm, 81kg Back Flank/Midfielder)
51 - Josh Cowan :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu: (184cm, 72kg Wingman/Half-Back)
67 - Brayden Norris (186cm, 69kg Forward)
71 - David Astbury (195cm, 81kg Key Forward/Key Back)
78 - Pass for PSD
89 - Robin Nahas
94 - Andrew Browne

Looks alright to me, I'd perhaps change the McMillan pick to a more needs based pick, but oter than that I think it goes alright.

Tapscott would be gold at 19. Big body, booming kick, reckon he could be a lot like Paul Chapman.

Griffiths has some concerns with his shoulders, can they withstand AFL footy? Usually a bad injury for a young kp to get because lifting their arms above their head is a major part of their game. Adam Hunter shows what can happen.

Also see he had no Thorpe in his phantom draft. Melbourne has confirmed it will take McDonald at #1 in the PSD so he would still be available to us at #2.

Tapscott would be gold at 19. Big body, booming kick, reckon he could be a lot like Paul Chapman.

Griffiths has some concerns with his shoulders, can they withstand AFL footy? Usually a bad injury for a young kp to get because lifting their arms above their head is a major part of their game. Adam Hunter shows what can happen.

Totally agree.

If Tapscott is still there at 19 we shouldn't (and I'm guessing won't) be hesitating. A strongly built midfielder with a brilliant and booming kick? Can't pass that up.

Our midfield would be getting close to completion then. Deledio, Cotchin, Foley, Martin, Tapscott and then the other pieces we have (Cousins for a couple of years, Tambling etc)

I would like to see Panos or Houghton isnt of Macmillon. Panos was being said to be a top 10 pick so surely he cant be that bad. And if we can get Houghton at 51 or later i would be over the moon!!!
I do like the Tapscott pick though, He was pick 9-10 until a few weeks ago were he dropped off but this kid has skills and is a hard nut. Would love giffiths to slip to 35 although would be a bit annoyed if we take him with pick 19 as he cant b the greatest if Matt thinks he will slide to 31. Other then that a good draft for the tiges. Apparently we have been linked to Sewell from North Ballerat also wouldnt mind giving Jesse Smith a go with a late pick.:thumbsu:

**Who would everyone rather if Stevans, Bastinac and Tapscott were there?**

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Emma Quayle has us picking Tapscott with pick 19 also on her Twitter account. I know i'd be happy with two of the best kicks in the draft! (Actually three of the best kicks if you count Dustys left foot too! :D)

**Who would everyone rather if Stevens, Bastinac and Tapscott were there?**

Bloody hard question.

I haven't had Tapscott on my radar for a while. He finishes nicely and has a nice kick but is not quite the Buckley that some suggest.

Would be very pleased with any one of them, but am leaning to Bastinac.

From those left over, would be interested in Carey, Houghton, McNeill in the RD

I just asked Emma if Tapscotts the best kick in the draft to which she responded - "he's one off. Dustin Martin no. 1 in my book and Bastinac right up there ". So there ya go.

ps. Emma Quayle = Gun :)

I just asked Emma if Tapscotts the best kick in the draft to which she responded - "he's one off. Dustin Martin no. 1 in my book and Bastinac right up there ". So there ya go.

ps. Emma Quayle = Gun :)

1 of Tapscott and Bastinac would be tops, reckon Ryan has more upside and nice that he has been around Dusty at VC.

Back on the "let Griffiths slide" wagon!

Ahh dear, let's just bring it can we?

1 of Tapscott and Bastinac would be tops, reckon Ryan has more upside and nice that he has been around Dusty at VC.

Back on the "let Griffiths slide" wagon!

Ahh dear, let's just bring it can we?
Yeh im starting to think Bastinac would be better as he has good skills and is a hard runner. I think that Tapscott is more of a HF/FP player rather then a midfielder.

Tapscott would be great, although I'm still pretty keen on Griff. Almost have him at round three too, if only there can be something in the way for the Dogs to take instead. Sorry D2T, I'm really not keen on Cowan. I know it'd be cool to have a homegrown mate in the yellow and black, but he's just not what we need right now. And as far as I can tell, the club hasn't shown a great deal of interest in him. Although Burgan probably knows more about that than me...

My thoughts exactly :thumbsu:

I reckon we need a creative HFF/Midfielder more than a midfielder. Tapscott brings genuine size.
Dont get me wrong mate id be happy with whatever one we get but i think Bastinac would come out the better playr in the end thats all, but as i said ill be happy with whoever we get out of Stevans, Tapscott and Bastinac. Along as we dont pick Griffiths. Hopeing we can get Panos at 44 or 51:thumbsu:

I'm a bit 'meh' on Tapscott. Short arse who bullies his opponents at junior level. Kicks it too high. If we're not going Griffiths (who won't get past the Dogs at 31 at the very latest) I'd prefer Bartlett or Bastinac.

Don't want Norris either. Haven't seen Kennedy so can't comment. The rest look ok. McMillan sounds exactly what we need - "freakish" decision-making.

Remove this Banner Ad

Burgatron's Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back