Bye Bye Buckley ... so where to next?

Remove this Banner Ad

May 7, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
No surprise, Bucks goes home to Collingwood, grats to him and the Collingwood football club ... Eddie again gets his man ... and also puts Malthouse out of the running for our senior post at the same time.

The guys I personally had hoped would be in the running for our senior job ala Matthews, Sheedy and Malthouse are all out of the running. I posted a couple of months back that Richmond should not be a creche for toddler coaches ... seems that is now out of our hands.

The hardest part for we as supporters is that we have little knowledge of the actual skills and match day tactical acumen of the respective potential coaches, all we can do is watch the results of the encumbent Jade Rawlings. We always had a helpful draw this year and had we been on the fringe of the finals we would have been looking good. We are a safe bet to win 3 more games, WC and Melbourne for obvious reasons and Freo on ability. An easy run for Jade perhaps.

Well I am at a loss guys. Word has it that Laidley is brilliant on game days, a point backed up by the many teams who have called for his advice in recent weeks and backed up by Adam Simpson in discussions post his retirment announcment.

Maybe Laidley is the answer?

I was just looking at Laidley because of his tactical nouse.

He has always seemed to get the best of a limited list ... pretty much a North characteristic to always play at their best. Crunch always comes at finals time when everyone is playing at their best.

Not sure I would want him either, just food for thought.

It concerns me a little that it looks like Jade will pick up the job on the basis of our last 10 games yet he hasn't exactly set the world on fire as coach of Coburg. Not sure he is good enough or experienced enough.

Where to next? The same place we already are. :confused:

Looking at 14 legitimate candidates and going through 3 stages to identify the best candidate for a contract to coach the Richmond Football Club.

Laidley is MIA overseas so while we had a chat to him I'm 99% sure he's not going for the job.

This is the second time buckley has rejected us, first time as a player he wrote a letter to the richmond football club telling us not to draft him saying he will never put on a richmond jumper.
laidley would be an awesome coach, he turns average players into good players.

Pisser if Coll don't win a flag in next 2 years. Eddie would've been better off buying a gun like Franklin, Lids, Bartel, Brown, O'Keefe, Cooney or Goodes for $2 million. Instead he's bought a high priced assistant coach. What's their thinking there?

One thing you can always bank on with Buckley.

He'll always pick the wrong team!!

:thumbsu:

Don't you mean he'll go with the easiest option?

Clearly he's done this - if he went to North or Richmond that would be a huge challenge. If he was successful eg. Bringing Richmond out of the ditch it has been in for the past 30 years then he would go down in history. If he didn't - coaching career over in 5 years.

By going with Collingwood he's hitting an established team and has the ability to pass the buck so to speak when he does take the reins.

He's playing it safe - didn't take a risk.. and quite frankly I don't want someone like that coaching my boys.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So he's played UNDER Malthouse.
So he's been Captain UNDER Malthouse.
Now he's going to learn how to coach UNDER Malthouse.

Know what happens when you do the 'dirty' with family members?
You get crazy-ass inbreds who think everyone with the same blood is really good! (and cute)
The Collingwood they have now, is the Collingwood they will have under Figgy.
:thumbsu:

Buckley's decision making is that bad he would knock back St.Kilda and Geelong if they were up for a new Coach...just so he didn't have to leave the warm bosom of Maggotville.

Great thinking Eddie, Mick and Bucks. :rolleyes:

You would think Rawlings chances have improved alot , with Buckley , Malthouse gone. He would be very happy he got the caretaker position. And with a couple more winable games ahead he will do his chances no harm. Perhaps he is the fav right now.

Where to next? The same place we already are. :confused:

My first reaction on looking at the thread title.:thumbsu:

i do like the way we didnt hang on any one person. Especially not Buckley.

Didnt upset the apple cart in any way when he called off the interview.

Id feel used if I was the Kangaroos. At least when Sheedy did it to us he was an ex player. How dirty would the Kangaroos be feeling being publicly rejected by a bloke who played in a losing era while they were bagging premierships.

So where to next? .....the scum and sheeds have done us a favour and have removed the "glitzy" appointment carrot from our list. Although I was a big fan of a sheeds and x taking on the job, somewhat and dare i say it like the scum have done with Mickey & Buckley, we can now get down to the nitty gritty and look at all comers on their real merits.

IMO, the Blade had done nothing wrong since he took the seat. But its not hard to seem to be doing nothing wrong, after taking over from someone who did nothing right.
So in a nutshell, the coaching panel should end up with and either one of these dudes can be the head honcho. Blade, Scott and Hardwick. With my preference being Brad Scott, tipping he is the answer we have been looking for. No BS, lay down the law, break heads if they dont follow the law, 3 flags, first picked in a champion side, you name it he had done it, and the bonus is that he has done his apprenticeship under a coach who kinda teaches them how to coach...i.e. Laidley, got 100% out of the roos, just like mickey has done foreever with the scum. ;)

buckley took the easy risk free option, a side already in the top 8 and he wont have to endure any hardship at the bottom of the ladder. malthouse did all the hard work and built the side up and he takes over when the young players start to peak and be a genuine premiership chance.

The way Buckley has gone about things i have lost a lot of respect for him he will now be spoon fed by Malthouse if he was fair dinkim go and coach a struggling club like North and see how good you are.The way he has treated North fo his own gain makes me sick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bye Bye Buckley ... so where to next?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back