Autopsy Roast & Toast R5 vs West Coast & Changes for The Bye

Best 5 vs Eagles

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Other clubs’ injuries this year don’t compare to ours. We’ve already used 36 players this year, which is the exact amount we used for the entire year last year and 5 more than the next highest (Gold Coast). And Gold Coast have a lot of unforced omissions due to trying new players.

In fact, only West Coast in 2022 have used more players in the first 5 Rounds since the beginning of 2020. We could be second to them for a longer period, but I haven’t been able to find round-by-round data on this before 2020.

What’s worse is that the injuries are to structurally important parts to the ground like KPFs and midfield. We have an excuse for playing so badly. We’ve reached the straw that breaks the camels back with Taranto + Ross out.
which actually says to me, if we had more depth we would be ok- not in the eight but ok. tt and ross would struggle to get a game in a top eight midfield exactly what im saying.

To be fair, if his team had just played like us during the second and third quarters on Sunday...

I get that, but I don't see how screaming MENTALL WEAAAAAAAAKNESS, MENTALLLLLLY WEAK like a madman is going to make anyone play better.

He was better than McIntosh, so why not give Hugo a run over Macca?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Unfortunately Kmac comparisons are setting a low bar. Neither are any good. One will still play bc he’s an ex premiership player. The other will probably be the scapegoat.

And watch the floodgates open up in defence.
Vlastuin in defence is about the only thing holding us together at the moment.
He’s never been a midfielder and has been found wanting there.
Appreciate him for what he is, the best half back in the business.
yeah / no... we are in experimental mode and why wouldn't you move two of your best prime movers onto the ball and into the engine room rotation, we have nothing to loose and McAuliffe and Baker make two handy back flankers

I was watching "On the Couch" earlier and they highlighted a couple of Sheezel's kicks inside 50 and they were very crisp. I thought to myself, I know exactly the player that can do that for us then I realised they have been hiding him at FF and also our forward line is as stagnant as street performers who act as statues.

yeah / no... we are in experimental mode and why wouldn't you move two of your best prime movers onto the ball and into the engine room rotation, we have nothing to loose and McAuliffe and Baker make two handy back flankers

Because Vlastuin has unsuccessfully played midfield before.
He was no good at it.
He's a defender and a darn great one.

Because Vlastuin has unsuccessfully played midfield before.
He was no good at it.
He's a defender and a darn great one.
reckon he'd make a darn good midfielder too particularly with Taranto and Hooper out, have a look at some of his early days footage, a ball magnet and when he was drafted he said he wanted to play like Lenny Hayes
Screen Shot 2024-04-15 at 9.51.05 pm.png

no i use my eyes from past two seasons and DH saying we were his best list ever and only to be doing deals after 5 games to move elsewhere. lol
He knew like others like me that we were cooked.
Well there's your problem. You're using your eyes to try to listen to someone lmao.

One day you'll get the what is said externally and internally are two different things. Can't believe actually see a coach talking up his team to the media and go 'yes this is exactly where the club is internally'. C'mon man. Use your head lol

Well there's your problem. You're using your eyes to try to listen to someone lmao.

One day you'll get the what is said externally and internally are two different things. Can't believe actually see a coach talking up his team to the media and go 'yes this is exactly where the club is internally'. C'mon man. Use your head lol
You’re putting two different situations into one. lol Eyes to view games and ears to listen to DH mutter bull shit .
Learn to read and one day you will learn to stop being gullible. Lol
You still think Dimma was burnt out and you’re telling me top stop believing what I hear externally. I know more about what happened internally than you’ll ever know 😂.

Last edited:
Yeh we should be aiming for this bargain players that are talented but just can't get a game because of they have so many.

You can pick up those type of players for 3rd or late second and helps build up the amount of young talent quickly
Carlton tried that and spent 10 years in purgatory. I think a number of those players end up behind the really good players because they are not as good as their draft position suggested.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carlton tried that and spent 10 years in purgatory. I think a number of those players end up behind the really good players because they are not as good as their draft position suggested.
Bottom out and get quality ,when are people going to learn this? There’s a reason why these players can’t get a game bc as you say they fall behind the better ones. It doesn’t always work, but by the time they’re sitting on an afl list for two to three years their Clubs know their exact limitations. Band Aid recruiting doesn’t work unless you have a solid nucleus of elite talent like bloody Collingwood had. We had it also where we could play Castagna, Townsend, Pickett Griggs and our late picks as well. Without a quality nucleus you’re wasting your time trying to win flags as journeymen won’t cut it bc theyre two levels down. They’re journeymen and role players.

Last edited:
Hopper and Taranto aren't the answer? Huh?

Guys in their mid 20s who have proven they can play at AA level midfields and are contracted with us for 6 more years are exactly the answer.
Taranto is a ball magnet but he is a butcher.

Hopper is so hard to rate as every time he starts getting a good run at it he seems to cop a niggly injury.

They can work, but they need class and speed around them. Someone like Bolton in the midfield but he's so dangerous forward.

reckon he'd make a darn good midfielder too particularly with Taranto and Hooper out, have a look at some of his early days footage, a ball magnet and when he was drafted he said he wanted to play like Lenny Hayes
View attachment 1960751
Well that was over a decade ago and we have ample sample size to show he’s an average midfielder, but one of the best backmen in the comp.

View attachment 1960751
Or we could keep the guy who's probably going to be an AA defender this year in defence, rather than trying to fit a square peg into a round hole as an average midfielder.

It’s funny when the side is on a decline people want to remove players that are champions into positions where players are limited and then move limited players who are failing into the positions where the champions are in. No you go through your list and play people or kids in their correct positions and if they’re not good at it delist or trade them out. It rarely works and looks ugly as shit when it fails. Rance and Flossy were two tried and it was ugly. Baker and Short have been poor also barring a few spurts. I know bc of our injuries we need to try a few tricks, but try to always have a stable back six as a building block if your midfield is slow as ours.

Last edited:
Or we could keep the guy who's probably going to be an AA defender this year in defence, rather than trying to fit a square peg into a round hole as an average midfielder.
did you notice late in the game when kosi, JGTI, sonsie and dow as our 4 mids,
eagles would have been having a giggle to themselves. and I also believe Nick would be a fantastic onballer
the equal of prestia no probs. the issue was we had premiership onballers coming out of our ears and he's a gun defender so best not to fix something that wasnt broken. its now at breaking point with injury concerns and premiership players getting long in the tooth.

did you notice late in the game when kosi, JGTI, sonsie and dow as our 4 mids,
eagles would have been having a giggle to themselves. and I also believe Nick would be a fantastic onballer
the equal of prestia no probs. the issue was we had premiership onballers coming out of our ears and he's a gun defender so best not to fix something that wasnt broken. its now at breaking point with injury concerns and premiership players getting long in the tooth.
Unfortunately the fact our other midfielders suck, does not make Vlastuin a good midfielder. He just might suck less than those other mids, but he's not going to be a top shelf mid.

He is a top shelf defender though, been elite for a number of years. We know that, we can trust that.
Sometimes the obvious and simplest is the way to go rather than trying to get creative and force something that isn't there.

It’s funny when the side is on a decline people want to remove players that are champions into positions where players are limited and then move limited players who are failing into the positions where the champions are in. No you go through your list and play people or kids in their correct positions and if they’re not good at it delist or trade them out. It rarely works and looks ugly as s**t when it fails. Rance and Flossy were two tried and it was ugly. Baker and Short have poor also barring a few spurts. I know bc of our injuries we need to try a few tricks, but try to always have a stable back six as a building block if your midfield is slow as ours.
Nick is a similar player to Jack Steele at St Kilda who is a gun, except Nick is a better mark and kick Nick would be a wonderful midfielder if he was trained for it but didn't persue with it as we had dusty, cotch, lambert, dion, shedda, timmyt, hopps and most thought jack graham would be better. for all we know Nick might have been a an all Australian midfielder if he had been drafted by another club I'm just throwing a few ideas out there because this is the year where we need to experiment. Terry wallet put Richo on a wing and everyone thought he was mad.

Back