Strategy Bye week musings

Remove this Banner Ad

Since we don’t have any games this week thought it might be fun to have a thread where some of us professional armchair coaches could think about any moves or strategies the MC could consider

One that I have thought about over the past week is a positional move for Nick Vlustuin

With Balta looking settled down back again Vlossys intercept numbers are down and he’s just being used as a medium defender again so once possible move that I wouldn’t mind seeing is Vlossy in the forward line

We have seen him bob up forward as a break glass option a couple of times and it’s been relatively successful with him able to kick goals

He can take a decent mark and good below his knees and defensively so he could be a nice foil to play as that 3rd marking option for Cumbo spot (don’t come for me Cumbo lovers)

The vlossy move also has the benefit of opening a spot in the backline and specifically for Jacob Blight who has really impressed during is couple of vfl outings with his intercepts but at 195cm could match up on both talls and shorter forwards

So that’s my crazy idea, anyone else have any moves that wouldn’t mind to see as an experiment or feel like absolutely tearing down my Vlossy forward idea?

Since we don’t have any games this week thought it might be fun to have a thread where some of us professional armchair coaches could think about any moves or strategies the MC could consider

One that I have thought about over the past week is a positional move for Nick Vlustuin

With Balta looking settled down back again Vlossys intercept numbers are down and he’s just being used as a medium defender again so once possible move that I wouldn’t mind seeing is Vlossy in the forward line

We have seen him bob up forward as a break glass option a couple of times and it’s been relatively successful with him able to kick goals

He can take a decent mark and good below his knees and defensively so he could be a nice foil to play as that 3rd marking option for Cumbo spot (don’t come for me Cumbo lovers)

The vlossy move also has the benefit of opening a spot in the backline and specifically for Jacob Blight who has really impressed during is couple of vfl outings with his intercepts but at 195cm could match up on both talls and shorter forwards

So that’s my crazy idea, anyone else have any moves that wouldn’t mind to see as an experiment or feel like absolutely tearing down my Vlossy forward idea?
As a surprise more during a tight game...why not!
As a permanent positional change...no it's been tried previously and wilted!

As a surprise more during a tight game...why not!
As a permanent positional change...no it's been tried previously and wilted!
I didn’t think they ever really pushed in forward as a possie change

I know they did try the midfield when he was younger but

Myself. I thought Nick vlossy should have been playing in the guts while Taranto, Presty and Hopps have been out in a similar role to Josh Dunkley. after all with so many injuries and no Gibcus and Lynch we have always been on a hiding to nothing in 2024.....Never really had a good crack at it in his younger years as we were very very well equipped and potent in that area with Cotch, Dusty and co. reckon the rotating combo of Taranto, Dusty and NV as part-time mids and part-time forwards would work well too.

Last edited:
Have always like the idea of him (Vlossy) getting more around the ball.
I remember 2018-ish he was put on ball for maybe a game or so and was pretty good.
Pretty sure he was drafted as a mid too. Good contested ball winner, good user of the footy and great mark.

Definitely wondered if it were an option when our mids were getting smacked around at the darkest parts of this season.

I think for shits and giggles we swap the seniors with the reserves for the Carlton game..........oh wait we've pretty much done that this year. None of our players would've played too many senior games so lets play them all in the ressies and get them qualified for the reserves finals.

Imagine Dusty, Bolton, Taranto, Balta and Lynch turning out for a reserves final at Punt Road, place would be jammed packed.

I think for shits and giggles we swap the seniors with the reserves for the Carlton game..........oh wait we've pretty much done that this year. None of our players would've played too many senior games so lets play them all in the ressies and get them qualified for the reserves finals.

Imagine Dusty, Bolton, Taranto, Balta and Lynch turning out for a reserves final at Punt Road, place would be jammed packed.
Gotta do it one of the weeks when we are up against one of the weaker standalone clubs so we can really smack them as well

Full of shenanigans like Lynch playing on ball and grimes kick 12 goals playing chf

I like Vlastuin in the forward line. When was the last time we had a medium forward over 6-1?? Josh Caddy is the only one. He’s ball reading and marking could be a huge weapon with players like Blight and Balta taking over the intercepts.

I’ve said it all year, but I thought if Grimes was up to it, we should just sit him at FF and play a negating role on the best key interceptor for the other team.

I like Vlastuin in the forward line. When was the last time we had a medium forward over 6-1?? Josh Caddy is the only one. He’s ball reading and marking could be a huge weapon with players like Blight and Balta taking over the intercepts.

I’ve said it all year, but I thought if Grimes was up to it, we should just sit him at FF and play a negating role on the best key interceptor for the other team.
That was the logic I was using as well

Could be a handy foil for Lynch just having that extra bigger boy that will need a decent defender otherwise they can cause some damage

Still have Kozi or Ryan playing as the 2nd as some tall timber so Lynch isn’t the only genuine KPP

As others have mentioned the desire to see Vlossy in the midfield at times we could even have him as the guy that rotates with Dusty/Bolton at times for stints in the middle just to see how it looks

Not saying that it’s going to work nor do i actually think the club would do it but I think it would be an interesting experiment all the same and one that would be perfect to try this year

That was the logic I was using as well

Could be a handy foil for Lynch just having that extra bigger boy that will need a decent defender otherwise they can cause some damage

Still have Kozi or Ryan playing as the 2nd as some tall timber so Lynch isn’t the only genuine KPP

As others have mentioned the desire to see Vlossy in the midfield at times we could even have him as the guy that rotates with Dusty/Bolton at times for stints in the middle just to see how it looks

Not saying that it’s going to work nor do i actually think the club would do it but I think it would be an interesting experiment all the same and one that would be perfect to try this year
I believe it could work if Balta stays back and Blight shows his worth at senior level.

My only concern with Vlas in the middle, is he is slow. And as much as I love the great man, Dusty is in the same boat. I dont think Dusty should really be a centre bounce player anymore, floating in the forward 50 is the best place for him now.

I see Vlastuins strengths as Footy IQ (ball/play reading) marking, 1v1’s, Kicking, strength (tall or small)
Playing him in the forward half and all those skills translate.

He could play Cumberlands position and provide us with a real weapon, while not really affecting us on the other end (if those other players adapt)

I thought KMac as a tagger could be a problem for midfielders, he has the tank, size and kicks goals - could rejuvenate his career while allowing a young player to take the wing

I believe it could work if Balta stays back and Blight shows his worth at senior level.

My only concern with Vlas in the middle, is he is slow. And as much as I love the great man, Dusty is in the same boat. I dont think Dusty should really be a centre bounce player anymore, floating in the forward 50 is the best place for him now.

I see Vlastuins strengths as Footy IQ (ball/play reading) marking, 1v1’s, Kicking, strength (tall or small)
Playing him in the forward half and all those skills translate.

He could play Cumberlands position and provide us with a real weapon, while not really affecting us on the other end (if those other players adapt)

I thought KMac as a tagger could be a problem for midfielders, he has the tank, size and kicks goals - could rejuvenate his career while allowing a young player to take the wing
Another option re tagger is Seth Campbell
Has shown a lot and seems like he could be a midfielder in the future and can absolutely do the running required for such a role, quite commonly being in the top handful of distance covered going by the stats

He obviously wouldn’t be the match up for the big boys like Bont or Cripps but I think he would be a good match up for players like Diacos and Butters

It gives him some exposure to playing as a mid as well as he continues to develop

Only downside is that it could potentially jeopardise that offensive play and development we have seen from him over the year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another option re tagger is Seth Campbell
Has shown a lot and seems like he could be a midfielder in the future and can absolutely do the running required for such a role, quite commonly being in the top handful of distance covered going by the stats

He obviously wouldn’t be the match up for the big boys like Bont or Cripps but I think he would be a good match up for players like Diacos and Butters

It gives him some exposure to playing as a mid as well as he continues to develop

Only downside is that it could potentially jeopardise that offensive play and development we have seen from him over the year
Seth could actually develop into a decent midfielder, he is a similar size as butters, daicos and those midfield types.

I think he is a very underrated rising star. Kid runs more than anyone in the comp.
He is very courageous aswell, maybe just improve his strength to be able to take those midfielders down. Good preseason in the weights room will do wonders.

Green is the one we should be developing as a tagger, has speed & aggression if nothing else, you don't waste the role on talented players...

Sonsie & McCauliffe on ball, end the Dow farce once for all...the horse is dead....some may say the same of Cumberland and they may well be right but I'd persist until the bitter end....nothing to lose, everything to gain in a bloke who can actually hit the scoreboard if he gets it right...also like to see us "manage" Nank for a few games and give Ryan the main ruck duties because that's when he's played his best footy...

Seth could actually develop into a decent midfielder, he is a similar size as butters, daicos and those midfield types.

I think he is a very underrated rising star. Kid runs more than anyone in the comp.
He is very courageous aswell, maybe just improve his strength to be able to take those midfielders down. Good preseason in the weights room will do wonders.
Seth will be a beast with some physical development got a good rig to build on. Reckon the club sees him as that second wing opposite HRS once he's ready.

Green is the one we should be developing as a tagger, has speed & aggression if nothing else, you don't waste the role on talented players...

Sonsie & McCauliffe on ball, end the Dow farce once for all...the horse is dead....some may say the same of Cumberland and they may well be right but I'd persist until the bitter end....nothing to lose, everything to gain in a bloke who can actually hit the scoreboard if he gets it right...also like to see us "manage" Nank for a few games and give Ryan the main ruck duties because that's when he's played his best footy...
Green is too small to go with the midfielders mentioned, small as in body size. he would just be pushed aside with ease. Seth has a bigger frame, with the running capacity.

Green’s aggression and speed is an asset in the forward 50. But he would need to impact VFL games more if he’s gonna make it.

Sonsie is another story. He is a cherry on top player. Soft as butter in the contest and ball watches, if you were a midfielder Sonsie would be your favourite player to play against.

I’m afraid Dow, Sonsie and Cumberland have all been busts. The development into those players just hasn’t worked. All 3 haven’t really improved since their rookie seasons. Cumberland had the ACL and then comes back to kick goals, but maybe a smaller type team would suit him.. looks spooked at times playing at the G.

I had a similar idea sending Broad forward but Vlad probably makes more sense. I'd then bring Bauer in to play the opposite HFF. Two guys that can take marks and contest aerially with interceptors.

Blight has to come in, start the chemistry with Miller/Balta, could be our defensive spine sorted.
I reckon Balta will go forward again when Lynch hangs up the boots tbh.

Those two inclusions give us a much better look right off the bat and a tonne of flexibility.

Our midfield speed is our other big concern. Hopper will slot right back in next to Tarranto and Baker. None of which have any wheels to speak of. Can't fix it immediately but need to bring in some midfield speed at the draft.

Seth will be a beast with some physical development got a good rig to build on. Reckon the club sees him as that second wing opposite HRS once he's ready.
Yep!

Also, remember we have Judson Clarke in rehab. He is an AFL level player. Could rotate with Campbell on that wing and HFF. The speed and creativity on that side would be awesome.

Yep!

Also, remember we have Judson Clarke in rehab. He is an AFL level player. Could rotate with Campbell on that wing and HFF. The speed and creativity on that side would be awesome.
Yeah good point, think it was Banks' spot but he seems to have found his niche off HBF.

I think after the bye, Balta goes forward to reform that partnership with Lynch that Yze loves and believes in. Blight comes in to form that big defensive unit with Miller.

I don’t mind Vlas forward for a bit. But with Balta going forward I believe, Vlastuin should return to that intercept role.

Interesting to see how this goes.

I prefer Balta back just fyi.

I think after the bye, Balta goes forward to reform that partnership with Lynch that Yze loves and believes in. Blight comes in to form that big defensive unit with Miller.

I don’t mind Vlas forward for a bit. But with Balta going forward I believe, Vlastuin should return to that intercept role.

Interesting to see how this goes.

I prefer Balta back just fyi.
Yeah that’s how I started thinking about the possibility of Vlas forward

I don’t know if it’s Balta specifically or just the fact we have a confident big man in our back half but we just seem more settled since Balta moved back again and I was trying to think of ways to give Lynch support without that Balta shift

Granted I do understand why Yze wants Balta forward, especially with Lynch probably hanging up the boots over the next few years but we still have absolutely no one who looks even close to being able to play as our main forward expect for Balta but that’s also more on looking at his size and not so much any sustained output playing as a forward

Yeah that’s how I started thinking about the possibility of Vlas forward

I don’t know if it’s Balta specifically or just the fact we have a confident big man in our back half but we just seem more settled since Balta moved back again and I was trying to think of ways to give Lynch support without that Balta shift

Granted I do understand why Yze wants Balta forward, especially with Lynch probably hanging up the boots over the next few years but we still have absolutely no one who looks even close to being able to play as our main forward expect for Balta but that’s also more on looking at his size and not so much any sustained output playing as a forward

Yeah it’s a conundrum because of the failure of our list team and recruiters to draft KPF.

Which most have been calling for, for a long time.

Now we have players like Miller, Blight, Young who can’t play forward. So it leaves Balta who is a very high level KPD but can also be a dangerous KPF.

We now have Fawcett and Gray developing as KPF. Hopefully get an 18 year old in this draft.

So coming back to the end of this season and how we go into next year, my belief is the preferred forward partnership is Lynch/Balta in Yze eyes. For better or worse I think this is what he sees as getting us the biggest chance to win.

He relied on Gibcus being fit to be back.

I agree with your thoughts on Balta as a defender.

Yeah it’s a conundrum because of the failure of our list team and recruiters to draft KPF.

Which most have been calling for, for a long time.

Now we have players like Miller, Blight, Young who can’t play forward. So it leaves Balta who is a very high level KPD but can also be a dangerous KPF.

We now have Fawcett and Gray developing as KPF. Hopefully get an 18 year old in this draft.

So coming back to the end of this season and how we go into next year, my belief is the preferred forward partnership is Lynch/Balta in Yze eyes. For better or worse I think this is what he sees as getting us the biggest chance to win.

He relied on Gibcus being fit to be back.

I agree with your thoughts on Balta as a defender.
Agree 100%

The other downside to the current issue re key position forwards is we may end up over compensating over the next few drafts on using very good picks on key forward prospects but end up with a glut of forwards in 3 - 5 years time but lacking in midfielders or any other positions

It’s going to be very interesting to see how the club navigate it and keep the balance right

Agree 100%

The other downside to the current issue re key position forwards is we may end up over compensating over the next few drafts on using very good picks on key forward prospects but end up with a glut of forwards in 3 - 5 years time but lacking in midfielders or any other positions

It’s going to be very interesting to see how the club navigate it and keep the balance right

Very interesting. There’s about 4 who are quality who will be from maybe 8-20 I think in this draft. We need one of them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Bye week musings

Remove this Banner Ad

Back