C-D4 Vic Rep squad - nominations?

Remove this Banner Ad

Oi! stop making so much sense and discussing this like reasonable adults, this is Big Footy for F@$#s sake.

Interesting to note a certain man with a clip board wearing what appeared to be apparel from an A section club taking notes at Lindsay Hassett on Saturday. Best for Aquinas was DenBrabner, best for South was Mahoney, could we see these two figure in State colours. Maybe not but still worth throwing their names into the mix.

Harps, Mark Lowe was at Toorak Park on Saturday. Obviously there to see the recent vintage form of Ugly Dermie???

The best players in a D3-D4 side are often as good as the best players in a B-D1 side. Thie difference is, a D3 side will have 1 or 2 guys this good and a B side will have 9 or 10.

The players in higher grades also play more good players week in, week out so are definately more match ready for a rep side.

In regards to the three mentioned D3 players, Edwards, Lee and Wells would all be walk up starts in any A section team

The best players in a D3-D4 side are often as good as the best players in a B-D1 side. Thie difference is, a D3 side will have 1 or 2 guys this good and a B side will have 9 or 10.

The players in higher grades also play more good players week in, week out so are definately more match ready for a rep side.

In regards to the three mentioned D3 players, Edwards, Lee and Wells would all be walk up starts in any A section team

hmmmm...not too sure about that. Maybe we could push Fergus from FF to the pocket to accomodate Edo???

rumours are down at hampton that 7 blokes names were put forward by the vafa to the coach sheldon, and sheldon wasnt happy that they wanted to put that many guys through extra trainings and possibility of injury during games, that he said no to any hampton rover playing in the red squad. so dont expect any rover blokes.
I have heard that there arent 7 blokes from Rovers in the squad at all, more like 3. If the guys dont want to play then they are letting themselves down and the coach needs a kick up the arse, and they wont be allowed to play the round after the state game.

No, I'd put Eddo in the pocket, but would definately be a great two pronged attack....

You wouldn't play Eddo with Fergus?

Eddo has been a regular in these games in the last few years playing down back(during his stint at Therry) the last being in 2006 where he played full back!

With respect - D2 sides would be fortunate to get one rep. player in the final side, let alone 3. However, they may all make the initial squad given the club is flying at the moment.

You'd expect 3+ players in the squad to come more from C section teams.

Eddo has been a regular in these games in the last few years playing down back(during his stint at Therry) the last being in 2006 where he played full back!

Didn't he kick 100 and win the D4 goal Kicking at Powerhouse 2006??

Didn't he kick 100 and win the D4 goal Kicking at Powerhouse 2006??

Eddo left Therry in a massive recruiting coup for Power House in 2006.

Eddo was a full back for Therry and the Power House coach at the time turned him from a full back to a full forward and he booted 100 goals for them in their 2006 Premiership side.

He was still selected for the State team and played at full back.

Eddo left Therry in a massive recruiting coup for Power House in 2006.

Eddo was a full back for Therry and the Power House coach at the time turned him from a full back to a full forward and he booted 100 goals for them in their 2006 Premiership side.

He was still selected for the State team and played at full back.

Edwards led Therry's goal kicking in 05. Did he do this from full back???? Get your facts straight you flog.

Edwards led Therry's goal kicking in 05. Did he do this from full back???? Get your facts straight you flog.

Well, given how Therry have performed in recent years, is it entirely inconceivable?

Just asking. ;)

FWIW - many years ago Old Trinity's goal-kicking in another doomed A grade foray was won by Jeremy Sutcliffe playing mainly as a running back-pocket with 27 goals for the year.

If Edwards is to get another gig in the goal square of the C-D4 side, he'll have plenty of higher grade full-forwards to compete with.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2 certainties from MHSOB

L.Evans
Captain and only 20 years old, checked the levels in 2007 and is now engineering the high school back to B grade.

M.Brain
Courageous back pocket/hff who barring a clearance from Epworth Hospital will provide the Big V with some much needed class, disposal by foot is of a high standard.

I have heard that there arent 7 blokes from Rovers in the squad at all, more like 3. If the guys dont want to play then they are letting themselves down and the coach needs a kick up the arse, and they wont be allowed to play the round after the state game.

As Uncle Mick said earlier, coach asked players who would be intersted in playing and only 1 player put his hand up. Perhaps this has changed to 3 in the last week or so but knowing many of them and their opinions is that they really just don't want to play in it. It's not that big of a deal. It's c-d4 and it's just not that great a standard of football and not that big of an accomplishment. Playing in a game with people you don't know who are all there playing for themselves (understandably so) just isn't a major priority in thier lives. A week off and a chance to do something together as a team might be more to their liking.

As Uncle Mick said earlier, coach asked players who would be intersted in playing and only 1 player put his hand up. Perhaps this has changed to 3 in the last week or so but knowing many of them and their opinions is that they really just don't want to play in it. It's not that big of a deal. It's c-d4 and it's just not that great a standard of football and not that big of an accomplishment. Playing in a game with people you don't know who are all there playing for themselves (understandably so) just isn't a major priority in thier lives. A week off and a chance to do something together as a team might be more to their liking.

Pinto, I don't know if you're on a fishing expedition mate or if you're just a deadset flog - but I'm leaning towards the latter.

The C-D4 representative match is best standard of footy 95% of the blokes in those grades will ever play in and to be chosen to represent the comp from amongst 500 senior footballers is certainly an achievement in my book. I know of plenty of blokes in lower grades that look forward to the opportunity to train and play at a higher level which Rep Footy provides.

If the blokes at your club have a different point of view and don't want to be there I hope the selectors tell them all to get f***ed.

Pinto, I don't know if you're on a fishing expedition mate or if you're just a deadset flog - but I'm leaning towards the latter.

The C-D4 representative match is best standard of footy 95% of the blokes in those grades will ever play in and to be chosen to represent the comp from amongst 500 senior footballers is certainly an achievement in my book. I know of plenty of blokes in lower grades that look forward to the opportunity to train and play at a higher level which Rep Footy provides.

If the blokes at your club have a different point of view and don't want to be there I hope the selectors tell them all to get f***ed.

But the fact of the matter is it's just not that good a side. If players were so keen on playing a higher grade of footy then perhaps they should take themselves elsewhere like higher grades, better comps or the VFL. I mean, a VFL reserves team would beat the side that comes together. And don't get me wrong, i'm not saying it's not an achievement but for, say, a 25 year old C grade footballer, playing one match for this side which probably isn't even the best side the grades could produce (Injuries/No Interest/Balance from all grades C-D4) wouldn't really be that big a deal.
I can't speak for the blokes at my club that i support, not play, you'd have to speak to them for that.

Tend to agree with pinto-09. Benny wasn't keen on our guys playing in the game so he didnt encourage anyone that was nominated. We're in the business to win premierships and losing one or two of your best in a rep. game that isn't even a true reflection of the best players in the sections isn't worth the risk. No one will be held back if they want to play, but after the disappointment of last season we don't want to take any chances on getting ourselves back into C section for personal glories. As captain of our club I firmly support this decision by the coach.

If this is the case then maybe HQ will need to look at offering clubs something in return for having players in the rep side. eg - some cash incentives or having officals at more of that clubs games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back