Caleb Daniel's (absolutely enormous) Bandwagon led by the Giant Clydesdales of Glory

Remove this Banner Ad

Eh, not a surprising result given the media hype around Mills.
Daniel has had a better season - but second year players don't get given as much credit as first year players - that in addition to Mills' media hype make it an unsurpisng result.

Admittedly it's pretty funny that we have had two runners up in the rising star in recent years where superior media hype is one of the major contributing factors to the other player's win.

Cheers for the $750, Millsy. The right bloke won IMO. He was pretty bloody awesome off a back flank this year. Haven't seen an 18 year old fly back into packs like he does.

We turned Liam Jones into Caleb Daniel, let's all be happy. He's a very good player. Safe as houses.

Oh, and I love extra mini Caleb more than I should.

Not too gutted he didn't win it. can see why people rate mills higher and I probably do too.

But CD had the better year and therefore should've won it

This is the thing - I dont think that the year should be considered in isolation. If a player has demonstrated capacity, and enough evidence, that they are the rising star of the competition then they should win the award.

If not, you get players who have already hit their ceiling in their first year, and who shouldn't be winners. I'm not saying Caleb is that, I certainly dont think he is. Lewy Taylor however.. and that debacle with Bont. This was a situation where everyone would have taken Bont over Taylor on their list but he lost because they restricted their scope to the year in isolation Taylor won.

The award needs to recognise the upper limit potential of players, insofar as they provide enough evidence that they will achieve that upper limit.

They absolutely made the right choice this year. Mills is a star.

Last edited:
B
Don't be too sure. Mills was good.
But is not really as known by the public or umpires as is our Caleb. And Caleb has had a couple of vote winning games. Maybe I'm biased or maybe some of our own fans are still sceptical of someone as short as Caleb actually being a truely top echelon player that I think he will be.

B

But is not really as known by the public or umpires as is our Caleb. And Caleb has had a couple of vote winning games. Maybe I'm biased or maybe some of our own fans are still sceptical of someone as short as Caleb actually being a truely top echelon player that I think he will be.

You are Freshy. And good on for you for that, we all are to some extent. But I'm pretty sure that the public and the umpires know who Callum Mills is.
I certainly do. He is a terrific young player and the best of luck to him.

I don't think there's to many of our own fans that are sceptical of Caleb Daniel. Great decision maker (particularly under pressure…. you can't teach that) uses the ball well and has great tenacity along with his skills. I think both boys will go on to achieve success at their clubs.

A Caleb Daniel BOG performance this Thursday night v the WCE is the right reply to this snub.
Ask and ye shall receive. He was unbelievable tonight. It was honestly one of the best individual performances I've ever seen. Everything he touched turned to gold. 5 goal assists- most ever in a final ever.

BOG for mine, just shading Dahl.

Firmly, securely glued to this bandwagon. Amazing football brain and just executes so well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Little big man. Elite decision maker and user. Rare as hens teeth and finals essential.

Hope we re-sign to a long term contract.

Every time Caleb gets the ball you know something good is going to happen. Can't recall any occasion when he blindly slammed it onto his boot, like any other player under pressure would. So when he gets it 33 times like he did tonight, watch out!

Do they keep stats on how many times a player has a disposal that results in another effective disposal?

That is why he is such a valuable player. He doesn't just get rid of it, he improves the value of his team's possession of the footy every time he gets his hands on it.

You can be sure recruiters won't make the mistake of overlooking a bloke due to height anytime soon
And while they are all falling over themselves finding the next elite ball user under 170cm Dalrymple will be sneakily drafting some elite tall talent that has been overlooked for some strange reason...

I've given a few backhanders to Caleb but tonight was without a doubt one of the most masterful performances I've ever seen and it was from a second year player who was picked up as an afterthought in the draft in a final.

He might be close to the best offensive mid in the league when it comes to ball use and footy iq.

Remove this Banner Ad

Caleb Daniel's (absolutely enormous) Bandwagon led by the Giant Clydesdales of Glory

Remove this Banner Ad

Back