Cameron Bruce

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Bruce quits club

The club have made a massive mistake here. Bruce is a gun and deserved 2 years if not 3. We cant just invest soley on youth. The kids need good senior players around them to improve and have an impact.

Bruce has been very good in all our wins in the last few years when we have really lacked leadership on the field.
Its very sad that we have to force out a player who bleed for the club since day 1. Surely we are not in that much salary cap trouble that we have to offer him a 1 year deal on a ordinary wage.

Very unhappy with the club on this one.

Pretty ordinary effort by the club this. Really shouldn't of allowed this to happen. They're happy so leave Newton on the list but wont' give someone like Bruce two years.
Who cares if he turns lame in the second year. There is enough space on the list.

I really didn't see the problem with giving him 2 years, played superb football in the 2nd half of the year and is rather durable.

Doubt he would have fallen in a heap in the 2nd year.

This youth policy is going a little too far IMO :thumbsdown:

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but he would only be on half salary at Melbourne anyway due to veteran status.

Correct.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but he would only be on half salary at Melbourne anyway due to veteran status.

Well guys I am glad he is gone. Round 22 incarnated everything that was crap about his game - especially those loopy handballs to team-mates who are covered by the opposition. And what a stupid decision to make - whatever he does with the club in the future will be tinted by this mercenary act.

Any club that readily gives him two years at this stage of his career is heading for skid row. He's dined out on the final for Carlton and those first three games in 2005 for far too long. Good riddance and piss off.

Shocked by this news, I honestly expected him to sign on after an extended period of negotiation.

I tend to think the club may have made an error here. Sure, it's good to see management sticking to its guns, but given that we've lost a great deal of leadership and experience over the past couple of years, I would've thought that it would be prudent to retain Cam's services.

Anyway, he's been a great player for the club over a number of years, so I can only thank him for those efforts and wish him luck in the future.

Bruce could see he'd be outside our best 22 by the end of the year.

Bye you big pansy. Lots your balls with that Guerra tackle.

Look forward to actually seeing you kick it to us when you play against us.

Bruce could see he'd be outside our best 22 by the end of the year.

Bye you big pansy. Lots your balls with that Guerra tackle.

Look forward to actually seeing you kick it to us when you play against us.

A bit of respect, please. :thumbsdown:

Well guys I am glad he is gone. Round 22 incarnated everything that was crap about his game - especially those loopy handballs to team-mates who are covered by the opposition. And what a stupid decision to make - whatever he does with the club in the future will be tinted by this mercenary act.

Any club that readily gives him two years at this stage of his career is heading for skid row. He's dined out on the final for Carlton and those first three games in 2005 for far too long. Good riddance and piss off.

Round 22? What about the 10 years consitent footy he has played. You are kidding yourself. Bruce has been super consistent for most of his career and deserves at least 2 more years at a club he has given his all at and played good footy at.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Respect? After the way Fanta pants has screwed the club about.

He can take any respect given to him and shove it where the sun don't shine

Bruce has bled for this club for 10 years. He deserved another two.

Why did he deserve two?

I don't remember seeing Buce bleed BTW. You'd have to go in hard to bleed. He ain't done that for 5 years. Rather he's just ran behind the player with the ball screaming for cheap and easy possessions. Possessions he'd more often than not spray.

If Bruce is too scared to compete against the kids (read the Herald Sun article - insinuates he wanted selection guarantees) well he's as soft as I always expected. I'm thrilled he's left the club and even happier the club held it's ground when he threatened to walk (which is obviously what's happened).

Thank Christ someone said it. My old man loves him because my old man understands dick all about football. Our team will be far better in the long ru . . oh wait, no, it will be better straight away. Time for some Jizzberts magic.

I disagree. After 10 years, considering that all clubs have to pay 92% of the cap and he's been one of our highest paid players for awhile, he's have been making comparable coin to far better players in the comp e.g. Bartel. We don't owe him anything.

On the footballing side of things this 10 years for the club bs was trotted out when the bulldogs gave brad johnson another contract, and by the end of the season most people would agree that it was a mistake. After 30 things can go downhill quickly. A one year deal was fair. Bruce has been a good player for the club and pre Guerra was a gun. He's been solid, versatile player since but I back the club 100% on this one.

So from a draft perspective, what changes? Where is Melbourne's 5th round pick in the draft, will it be used or an extra pick in PSD/Rookie?

And can anyone else go on the veteran's list?

So from a draft perspective, what changes? Where is Melbourne's 5th round pick in the draft, will it be used or an extra pick in PSD/Rookie?

And can anyone else go on the veteran's list?

An extra rookie pick.

Can't have anyone else on the veterans list as they don't qualify (unless we got Trapper - but that would be madness)

I feel pretty bad, to be honest. I feel the last couple of years we haven't given our veterans much respect towards the end of their careers i.e. Robbo, White, Jmac and now Bruce. Problem is i'm conflicted because it probably is best for the club in the long term; I don't think Bruce was going to be part of our premiership side. But I grew up watching cam play, so i can't pretend im entirely happy about the situation

Cue Mr Morton to stand up and take Bruce's role to the next step.

Will always have fond memories of the 2000 final series and Bruce in the last quarter of the Carlton game.

However romance aside, one year was all he warranted. Good luck Brucey. May we polax you when we next meet and open your eyes to what you are really missing out on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Cameron Bruce

Remove this Banner Ad

Back