Cameron Bruce

Remove this Banner Ad

Cam Bruce is on the verge of signing a deal with Melbourne. But wants a two year deal instead of the 1 that Melbourne is offering. As a 31y.o bloke would you give him the two year deal or just the one???

At his age, one year would be preferable, given that older players can deteriorate pretty quickly.

Having said that, though, Cam strikes me as the type who could get through another couple of years pretty comfortably, and when you consider how highly many seem to rate his leadership, two years probably wouldn't be a bad option either.

I would give him a one year deal with a performance-based option for a second year. Two years at his age is too big a risk... He could break down at any time. See Junior: first half of the year, we all thought he could comfortably go round in 2011, but then he sort of broke down later on. Same thing could happen to Brucey

Just give him the 2.

Doesn't strike me as the type who is going to break down and can play back pocket which isn't really going to hinder the development of younger players. We are in desperate need of keeping leaders around the club so I think just give him the two.

One. Why should our list manager and club bend over ?

He still gets to play, and our list has more room to manouevre.

It's a win-win for club & player.

If he wants to play in a Premiership, he should bend over.

Cam Bruce is on the verge of signing a deal with Melbourne. But wants a two year deal instead of the 1 that Melbourne is offering. As a 31y.o bloke would you give him the two year deal or just the one???
Definately 1. If Bruce plays well next year he will definately get another contract cos no one will be pushing him off the veteran's list unlike Robbo and Junior who had to step aside for Bruce and Green.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where else would he go?

Any club that's going to be in a "premiership window" for the next couple of years (or who think they are), who can fit him into their cap, who are prepared to meet his asking price, and can use what Bruce would bring.

Whether there's anyone around who could tick all those boxes, not sure ... but guess we'll find out soon enough.

Where else would he go?

He'll sign, and on our terms.

I would take a stab at;

St Kilda: althoug they would prefer pace, they would consider any quality sneior player atm.
Hawthorn: see above.
Gold Coast: About the only thing theyre short of is quality characters with leadership experience - he would suit there young list perfectly.
Brisbane: Voss will take anyone.

That being said surely only Gold Coast could offer him significantly better terms than us, and he could have gone there already if he really wanted.

Im sure he'll stay. :thumbsu:

Re: Bruce quits club

The Melbourne Football Club confirms that Cameron Bruce today met with senior Coach Dean Bailey to advise of his decision to nominate for the National Draft.

The Club offered Cameron a one year contract which he has declined. Cameron had taken considerable time to come to his decision, and while the Club is disappointed with the outcome, it is important to recognise Bruce's valued contribution to the Melbourne Football Club over his 11 seasons.

Melbourne Coach Dean Bailey said, “It’s unfortunate that Cameron has decided to move on. During my tenure as coach he has been nothing but a true professional with his attitude and approach to the game, but it’s disappointing that he is leaving the Melbourne Football Club.

Cameron has had an outstanding career, and will always be remembered as a Melbourne Football Club player.

After coming off the Club's supplementary list to make his senior debut in 2000, Cameron went on to play 224 games, with a range of honours to his credit including a Best and Fairest in 2008, international representation in 2002 and 2004, and Life Membership, along with being named as one of the Club’s 150 playing Heroes in 2008.

The Melbourne Football Club thanks Cameron Bruce for his outstanding service and wishes him well in the future.

from melb website

Would have thought he'd have 2 years left in him and thought JMac could have been worth one more but can understand that decision. Hope we're not cutting our collective noses off despite our face..!!

Was my favourite player. Keyword is "was". If he wants a 2 year contract he can earn it. He has played inconsistent football this year. Lets be honest. Doubt we are cutting off our noses.

Melbourne is thinking the future and if we gave him a 2 year deal I would be kinda pissed if he started to get hamstring problems all through net year.

Sort of wished he'd stay a one club man. You'd think he still has some good football left in him and would be a good pickup for someone like the Hawks or Saints. Unless he wants to enjoy the GC life.

Remove this Banner Ad

Cameron Bruce

Remove this Banner Ad

Back