Can’t justify a new thread - still want to post it though, (Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

As a young teen I was a bit of a Titanic nerd.
After reading the book “a night to remember” I devoured everything I could about the great ship and its demise.
Long before Hollywood popularised it.
So yesterday I fulfilled a life long dream.
I touched the Titanic.

IMG_8292.jpeg

After reading the book “a night to remember” I devoured everything I could about the great ship and its demise.

I touched the Titanic.

View attachment 1899302
How old are you???

Titanic_1953_film.jpg

I touched the Titanic.

View attachment 1899302
That’s super cool.
Where did you do that?

I touched the Titanic.

View attachment 1899302

Very cool. Glad you didn't implode!

That’s super cool.
Where did you do that?

I assume he did that at the Titanic exhibition at Museum Victoria. Saw it a few weeks ago - and it’s very good.

They even have an iceberg (although not to scale…)

The obsession with the Titanic has always baffled me.

I don't see the point of interest, at all, so if anyone can explain it then I'll finally be at ease with the world.

I don't see the point of interest, at all, so if anyone can explain it then I'll finally be at ease with the world.
Bit too mainstream for a history snob is it? Must say, the Indianapolis is my personal favourite, Chief.

Bit too mainstream for a history snob is it? Must say, the Indianapolis is my personal favourite, Chief.

A magnificent speech in a classic film.

I share many joys and interests with the common folk, I think about the Romans at least 5 times a day, but yeah the continued curiosity for a ship which sank in 1912 strikes me as odd.

Why are the wrecks of other ships less interesting? Why are the lives of the unfortunates on other ships of less concern? I wouldn't walk across the road to bother touching a 'relic' of the Titanic, but others are willing to spend hundreds of thousands (and even their lives) just to get a look.

I also tend to view old shipwrecks as burial grounds which should be left alone, not stripped and sold for the curiously curious, unless it's one of those Spanish ships with a bajillion of gold in it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree. I went to the exhibition with my 11 year old granddaughter who kept saying ‘I know that’.☹️

A magnificent speech in a classic film.

I share many joys and interests with the common folk, I think about the Romans at least 5 times a day, but yeah the continued curiosity for a ship which sank in 1912 strikes me as odd.

Why are the wrecks of other ships less interesting? Why are the lives of the unfortunates on other ships of less concern? I wouldn't walk across the road to bother touching a 'relic' of the Titanic, but others are willing to spend hundreds of thousands (and even their lives) just to get a look.

I also tend to view old shipwrecks as burial grounds which should be left alone, not stripped and sold for the curiously curious, unless it's one of those Spanish ships with a bajillion of gold in it.

I used to work with maritime archaeologists employed by the State Govt. We called them ‘shipwreckers’. They spend a lot of their time trying to prevent looting of wrecks discovered in Victorian waters. Not easy.

I used to work with maritime archaeologists employed by the State Govt. We called them ‘shipwreckers’. They spend a lot of their time trying to prevent looting of wrecks discovered in Victorian waters. Not easy.
Did they start all their stories with, "The sea was angry that day"?

Did they start all their stories with, "The sea was angry that day"?

They were on a good wicket. Had a dedicated boat and a depot on the Surf Coast somewhere, so they could more easily access the wrecks. Someone has to do it I guess.

They were on a good wicket. Had a dedicated boat and a depot on the Surf Coast somewhere, so they could more easily access the wrecks. Someone has to do it I guess.
There's a reason those wrecks would have been where they were. Probably not hanging out at the nicest of boating spots. But they would have no doubt bagged plenty of crays whilst "protecting".

The obsession stems from the absolute belief that mankind had built something that could defy nature.
Unsinkable.
Had it struck the iceberg on crossing one hundred I doubt that the obsession would be what it is today.
Bit to sink on its maiden voyage, beaten by one of natures most awesome creations?
That my friend, is the stuff of legend.

I assume he did that at the Titanic exhibition at Museum Victoria. Saw it a few weeks ago - and it’s very good.

They even have an iceberg (although not to scale…)
The “iceberg” is a wall of ice that you can put your whole hand on to feel the temperature of the berg.
Around the exhibition are signs giving you facts on the temperature of the water on the night.
Minus 2 degrees Celsius at the time of sinking. No wonder you didn’t last long in the water.

How old are you???

Titanic_1953_film.jpg
Haha!
Maybe not that old.
”A night to remember“ was a 1958 movie (doco) based on the book.
I read the book and didn’t see the movie until many, many years later. You couldn’t stream movie on demand back in the dark ages.
Funningly enough, there were scenes from that movie playing at the exhibition!

Haha!
Maybe not that old.
”A night to remember“ was a 1958 movie (doco) based on the book.
I read the book and didn’t see the movie until many, many years later. You couldn’t stream movie on demand back in the dark ages.
Funningly enough, there were scenes from that movie playing at the exhibition!
I think I had an old hardcover copy of the book with an illustrated blue dust wrap.

Remove this Banner Ad

Can’t justify a new thread - still want to post it though, (Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back