Can’t justify a new thread - still want to post it though, (Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

The obsession stems from the absolute belief that mankind had built something that could defy nature.
Unsinkable.
Had it struck the iceberg on crossing one hundred I doubt that the obsession would be what it is today.
Bit to sink on its maiden voyage, beaten by one of natures most awesome creations?
That my friend, is the stuff of legend.

I could argue that society is built upon the belief that what is human can defy the 'natural' world. This is the sort of hubris which leaves us unable to respond to climate change in a meaningful way.

There are, really, too many examples of it to count.

But I'm not judging your obsession.

I'd cry and sob unintelligible words of devotion if I could lay hands upon an Elvis jumpsuit from the Las Vegas years.

I could argue that society is built upon the belief that what is human can defy the 'natural' world. This is the sort of hubris which leaves us unable to respond to climate change in a meaningful way.

There are, really, too many examples of it to count.

But I'm not judging your obsession.

I'd cry and sob unintelligible words of devotion if I could lay hands upon an Elvis jumpsuit from the Las Vegas years.
You have to remember that humans beliefs in the early 1900’s are different to today.
Today we understand that nature has the ability to fight back.
Climate change, Covid. Mother Nature is trying to cull us.
Back in the early 1900’s we believed nothing was impossible. Coming off technological wonders like trains, sewage control, controlled flight. It was all man over nature succeeding.
So when man said we have created the unsinkable, history at that point means you didn’t question it.

The “iceberg” is a wall of ice that you can put your whole hand on to feel the temperature of the berg.
Around the exhibition are signs giving you facts on the temperature of the water on the night.
Minus 2 degrees Celsius at the time of sinking. No wonder you didn’t last long in the water.
Floundering around in icy cold water is no fun at the best of times, let alone in the middle of the ocean in the dark. At least with little prospect of surviving long in the water you would have less inclination and time to worry about sharks. I too have always found the story of the ship's sinking to be a riveting tale and can understand why it has captured the imagination of people for over 100 years now.

Yes! Yes!
Thats the one.
It might still be at dad’s place.
I might have a hunt.

Am I right that there was also a Leonard Nimoy narrated “In Search of” Episode about it?
I loved that show.
Aliens.
Bermuda Triangle.
Bigfoot.
Amelia Earhart (there’s reports of finding her plan recently).

You have to remember that humans beliefs in the early 1900’s are different to today.
Back in the early 1900’s we believed nothing was impossible. Coming off technological wonders like trains, sewage control, controlled flight. It was all man over nature succeeding.
So when man said we have created the unsinkable, history at that point means you didn’t question it.

I do understand that there was some optimism about the wonders of technology at the time. The world was getting smaller, more knowable, something which could be mastered.

It was something of a 'blip'. For most of existence we've understood that nature is capricious and cruel, and the naive hope that scientific progress would fill the void of God was then obliterated by WWI and WWII.

In the larger 'story' of humanity, I don't think that the sinking of a ship made a difference to the way people think, but I can see that it made an imprint on the psyche of many.

As TGG says below, it's a bit of a story.

And there was no f*ing reason why Leo had to drown, Kate could easily have shifted her a* across, but she knew her love for the poor boy was never going to be accepted in polite society and so she let him sink to the bottom of the Atlantic.

I do understand that there was some optimism about the wonders of technology at the time. The world was getting smaller, more knowable, something which could be mastered.

It was something of a 'blip'. For most of existence we've understood that nature is capricious and cruel, and the naive hope that scientific progress would fill the void of God was then obliterated by WWI and WWII.

In the larger 'story' of humanity, I don't think that the sinking of a ship made a difference to the way people think, but I can see that it made an imprint on the psyche of many.

As TGG says below, it's a bit of a story.

And there was no f*ing reason why Leo had to drown, Kate could easily have shifted her a* across, but she knew her love for the poor boy was never going to be accepted in polite society and so she let him sink to the bottom of the Atlantic.
I think that movie with the impossible love story threaded so thickly through it went close to killing off my interest in the Titanic. The physical details of the incident, the miscalculations and shortcomings, the mistakes, the expectations and complacency, the freezing water and bodies leaping or sliding into it off the sinking ship, the heroic acts of individuals etc are some of the elements that make it a compelling story. Making Leo and partner the focus of the movie deflected from what is essentially a rattling good tale.

I think that movie with the impossible love story threaded so thickly through it went close to killing off my interest in the Titanic. The physical details of the incident, the miscalculations and shortcomings, the mistakes, the expectations and complacency, the freezing water and bodies leaping or sliding into it off the sinking ship, the heroic acts of individuals etc are some of the elements that make it a compelling story. Making Leo and partner the focus of the movie deflected from what is essentially a rattling good tale.

Definitely a lot of possibilities that were sacrificed for the sake of a dull romance.

Not sure how they will insert a love story into the movie about the Titan Submersible? Might just have to go the father-son option.

Then again, The Perfect Storm got a lot of love into Clooney and Wahlberg before all souls were lost. So there’s that angle.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Cannot disagree with that summation.
As I posted earlier, my interest pre dates "THE movie".
I did enjoy the CGI of THE movie, it was great to be in and about the ship as it would have been.
But yes, the focus of the love story, while appealing to the masses, certainly made for boring viewing.

Oscar Steene has been given number 21. I always like to look at the history of the number for fun when players get allocated theirs.

From the olden days, Lou Richards is our most prolific number 21. Also wearing 21 was AFL hall of fame Ron Todd. Back in the 70s Graeme Anderson was a silky pacy winger.

In more recent years 21 has played in a few losing GFs ( chocko Williams, Tom Phillips) and two of our last three flags (Christian, Wellingham). Bad luck Trey you didn’t get the trifecta

Lesser lights in 21 also include q lynch, big bad bustling Brent Turkey, and Guy Richards

Good luck Oscar!

…… which got me thinking….. the best way to be a premiership player at Collingwood is to play 100+ games and wear a big number. In the history of our 100 gamers wearing a number 30 or higher, 14 out of 23 are premiership players. Make that 16 out of 25 if you include Beau and Nick who haven’t played 100 yet!

That’s a 61% chance of being a premiership player and also an 83 percent chance of just being in a grand final. All you need to do is wear a big number and play 100 games

Simples!

…… which got me thinking….. the best way to be a premiership player at Collingwood is to play 100+ games and wear a big number. In the history of our 100 gamers wearing a number 30 or higher, 14 out of 23 are premiership players. Make that 16 out of 25 if you include Beau and Nick who haven’t played 100 yet!

That’s a 61% chance of being a premiership player and also an 83 percent chance of just being in a grand final. All you need to do is wear a big number and play 100 games

Simples!
Have you factored in the influence from "the olden days" when numbers were handed out in alphabetical order?

Edit: Louey wasn't our most prolific wearer of the number 21 in actual games...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have you factored in the influence from "the olden days" when numbers were handed out in alphabetical order?

Edit: Louey wasn't our most prolific wearer of the number 21 in actual games...

That’s true I’m only going by a website with that info and it only allocates one number per player. Assume that’s the number he played the most games in but no granularity provided past that. Clearly he would have spent many years in 1,2 or 3 as per convention right up until Ray Shaw declined 1 and stuck with 23.

Edit…. Lou wasn’t even in this data set. 30 being a bigger number than 21…….most players in that data set were far more recent

Last edited:
That’s true I’m only going by a website with that info and it only allocates one number per player. Assume that’s the number he played the most games in but no granularity provided past that. Clearly he would have spent many years in 1,2 or 3 as per convention right up until Ray Shaw declined 1 and stuck with 23.

Edit…. Lou wasn’t even in this data set. 30 being a bigger number than 21…….most players in that data set were far more recent
Lou had more numbers than a Chinese phone book.

I do understand that there was some optimism about the wonders of technology at the time. The world was getting smaller, more knowable, something which could be mastered. ....
I am not convinced the viewpoint has changed, just the horizons. Plenty of technological wonders in recent times, perhaps more than back then. Same belief anything is possible, technology will provide the answers. Instead of an "unsinkable ship" we have human habitation of Mars, for example.

I am not convinced the viewpoint has changed, just the horizons. Plenty of technological wonders in recent times, perhaps more than back then. Same belief anything is possible, technology will provide the answers. Instead of an "unsinkable ship" we have human habitation of Mars, for example.

yes, scientists at the time of the titanic weren't saying that it was unsinkable...... the sales people at british white star were the ones that called it unsinkable...

compare to today when superlatives are used for every product under the sun. sales people bullshit more these days than 110 years ago. In fact, it stood out more in those days because they were far more conservative with their bullshit superlatives.

The other thing that stood out with the titanic was that the owners were so desperate to win the transatlantic shipping contest that they put the titanic to sea with a fire down below. That smells more of contemporary thinking than thinking from a time when they had a few more brains. Just shows ya what the love of money will do to ya...

It's a hard thing to quantify, but there was a lot more optimism about technology and where it might take 'us' in the late 1800s and into the 1900s, without a corresponding sense of the dangers.

The leaps in communication, transport, public health and scientific knowledge more generally created a belief in 'perfectibility', of both society and individual.

I'd suggest that we're rather more circumspect these days about the ability of science to answer some of our more pressing problems, and more aware that every leap forward can also take us two steps back (e.g. internet, genetic science, military 'advancement').

The late 19th century was a time for imagining utopias. We're an age which can more readily imagine dystopia, however advanced it might be, because we've learned some hard lessons.

Hey Pies fans. Last year I got irritated by the very generic t-shirt options available in the team stores, so I decided to design my own. After somehow getting bored of drawing eagles, I've branched out into the other teams. I decided to start with the reigning premiers, and thought I'd post them here in case anyone is interested. I'd love to see someone in the crowd wearing a shirt I designed one day.

Screenshot 2024-02-08 214350.png
Swooping Magpie

Screenshot 2024-02-08 214432.png

Black and White Magpie

Screenshot 2024-02-08 214448.png
Magpie Footy

Best of luck in 2024.

Hey Pies fans. Last year I got irritated by the very generic t-shirt options available in the team stores, so I decided to design my own. After somehow getting bored of drawing eagles, I've branched out into the other teams. I decided to start with the reigning premiers, and thought I'd post them here in case anyone is interested. I'd love to see someone in the crowd wearing a shirt I designed one day.

View attachment 1901382
Swooping Magpie

View attachment 1901383

Black and White Magpie

View attachment 1901384
Magpie Footy

Best of luck in 2024.
Geezus.
You make it very hard to hate you….
Bit then I remember 2018.

P.S. Cool designs.

So Fox footy are showing a series of minis called Magpie madness. It’s obvious that the person who programmed this is a Collingwood hater. You’d expect it to be a collection of games the pies won with close finishers but nooo. I started watching and we had a loss to Essendon, the drawn grand final and coming up a close win against North in 2022 the wooden spooners in from what memory reminds me was one of the worst games of football ever. The programmer just trolling us, ffs I bet other teams will get all victories. Why show a f ing loss from 1999 with one of the worst teams we’ve ever fielded and a coach who had no idea.

An interesting fact re the Titanic.
When it was finally discovered after so many years, many things had rotted away but there was STILL water in the swimming pool !!

You expected sparkling?

A magnificent speech in a classic film.

I share many joys and interests with the common folk, I think about the Romans at least 5 times a day, but yeah the continued curiosity for a ship which sank in 1912 strikes me as odd.

Why are the wrecks of other ships less interesting? Why are the lives of the unfortunates on other ships of less concern? I wouldn't walk across the road to bother touching a 'relic' of the Titanic, but others are willing to spend hundreds of thousands (and even their lives) just to get a look.

I also tend to view old shipwrecks as burial grounds which should be left alone, not stripped and sold for the curiously curious, unless it's one of those Spanish ships with a bajillion of gold in it.
In terms of my fascination with it as a relic, it would definitely rank above that bag of air from a Kanye West concert which sold on eBay… but I get where you’re coming from.

But then again, I’m getting cynical in my old age. I couldn’t even be bothered going to see our 2023 premiership cup when it was on tour; the important thing to me was that we had it and our place in history, not the trophy itself.

So Fox footy are showing a series of minis called Magpie madness. It’s obvious that the person who programmed this is a Collingwood hater. You’d expect it to be a collection of games the pies won with close finishers but nooo. I started watching and we had a loss to Essendon, the drawn grand final and coming up a close win against North in 2022 the wooden spooners in from what memory reminds me was on worst games of football ever. The programmer just trolling us, ffs I bet other teams will get all victories. Why show a f ing loss from 1999 with one of the worst teams we’ve ever fielded and a coach who had no idea.
get on Youtube and watch the many many games we win.

Remove this Banner Ad

Can’t justify a new thread - still want to post it though, (Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back