Can lions get back into the 8 this year or does one more year needed?

Remove this Banner Ad

TheDaisyTrain

Rookie
Feb 14, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
i think they will finish around the 9 to 10 mark this year and then they will be in the 8 the year after.
they have some good players coming up that the picked up the last 2 years and even though there has been some big names that left they still have some good quality players

i think they will finish around the 9 to 10 mark this year and then they will be in the 8 the year after.
they have some good players coming up that the picked up the last 2 years and even though there has been some big names that left they still have some good quality players

Depends on Jonathan Brown quite honestly.

If he plays 20+ games, we can make the 8 this year with some luck.

Without him, we're a bit exposed.

To be honest their backline still looks shakey. Sure Merrett and brennan performed last night but I think it'll take a while till they become consistent enough to be dominant week in and week out, especially considering one of them is Brennan.

It will take a while.

The team has played in 4 straight grand finals and have lost a lot of experience. It will take time for the team to gell together with so many new inclusions.

The pre-season cup means very little, although people are beginning to see the extent of injuries we have had the past couple of years. Last year we had the highest number of recorded injuries ever and we are yet to see the likes of Brown, Mitch Clark, Lappin, Hadley, and Drummond play this year.

To be honest their backline still looks shakey. Sure Merrett and brennan performed last night but I think it'll take a while till they become consistent enough to be dominant week in and week out, especially considering one of them is Brennan.

Roe looks ready to take a big step up too.

Throw Chris Johnson, Jed Adcock and Nigel Lappin back there too and it looks a little more experienced.

No disputing that our backline is our biggest weakness though.

There is always one "surprise" in the final 8 each year, last year it was Collingwood, this year this could be it. We have a great team and as Lethal said at our AGM he thinks we are a lot better than what people think. You just never know, the odds are mainly incorrect. We were at $26 along with the Swans to win the NAB cup (lowest placed) and now we are one win away from the grand final. Just another example from last season, when the Hawks played against Geelong at Skilled the Cats were at $1.17 to win it and the Hawks were around $8. GO LIONS! :thumbsu:

Three years at least before they make it back in my view.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not this year. Not next year.
The Lions are a good 3-5 years away from making the eight again.
I can honestly say that I cannot find one player among their younger players who looks like being a top-class player.
Sure they have some quality young players.
Some of them may become classy players.
Sure they have a few young ones that look like they could play for 10 years, but where are their emerging top-class players?
Please don't list all the B-grade ones as 'potential' stars.

Not this year. Not next year.
The Lions are a good 3-5 years away from making the eight again.
I can honestly say that I cannot find one player among their younger players who looks like being a top-class player.
Sure they have some quality young players.
Some of them may become classy players.
Sure they have a few young ones that look like they could play for 10 years, but where are their emerging top-class players?
Please don't list all the B-grade ones as 'potential' stars.
Do Collingwood have any of these "top class" prospect players within their younger group?

Certainly do.
CASPER the friendly ghost is not an afl player:rolleyes: but if u think he will play well then good for u...please note players like adcock, rischitelli, sherman, clark are not B rated players and if u think they are what should we rate ur imaginary a grade young stars at?

Don't get carried away with trial games. The Bulldogs were woeful last night and looked like they thought they only had to turn up to win. The young Lions squad came to play and consequently the Bulldogs were made to pay.

Having said that, you'd have to be pleased with the endeavour shown by the group and the willingness to put pressure on. If you have the determination (and fitness) to chase and harass all night long you always have a chance. Let's hope its a sign of things to come.

As to the question, I doubt we can make the 8 this year over the journey of 22 tough weeks. If we have a great trot with injuries, we could sneak into the bottom half of the 8 but a bad run like last year will see us a lot closer to last than the top 8. All in all terrific signs though and you can only hope the kids like Roe, Harding, Rischitelli etc keep improving to support the proven class of Brown, Black and Power. Maybe within 2-3 years we will be serious final 8 contenders again which is pretty good given the era we've just had.

Add brown and Bradshaw to that Forward line and they are real big chance

Merret looks OK, Brennan could do alright on the second forward and they have a few good back pockets/flankers

Midfield has Power, Black & Lappin plus a huge amount of other young midfielders

no problem with the ruck, Charmander/beau/Wood are more than capable

also have the home ground advantage

Remove this Banner Ad

Can lions get back into the 8 this year or does one more year needed?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back