2009: 13 votes
2010: 15 votes
2011: 30 votes
2012: 26 votes
2013: 16 votes
2014: 8 votes
2015: 26 votes

Total: 204 votes = averaging 14.6 votes per season

What a career he's had to date. Turns 33 this month and still going strong. If we win the flag this week and if Mitchell can win the Norm Smith medal, then there's a genuine case to be made now that Sam Mitchell is in Hawthorn's top 5 best players of all-time. Anyone on here who thinks we can replace him when he retires are f****** kidding themselves. He's irreplaceable.

My daughter and I call him the janitor, he cleans up when the other guys messup

Uninjured Fyfe would've polled all-time highest votes? What's the record?

TBH I felt this was a just outcome. By mid-season he was monstering the competition, winning contested possessions, disposals, even getting hit-outs... frightening. A fully fit Nat Fyfe would've made the PF interesting for sure.

Compare this to years when flogs like Dane Swan got up courtesy of collecting meaningless 35-possession 10-metres-gained 3-votes thanks, or C.Judd, I just have to be named on the team sheet...

Well done, onwards Mitch to becoming a four-time premiership player. Ciao.

If anyone is feeling a little disappointed that Sam didn't win, a trip to the Geelong board should lift your spirits. Many of them were in panic mode that he might salute and when it became clear he wouldn't, expressed their great relief that their prayers had been answered. I find their obsession with all things Hawthorn and the clear mental scarring that our teams" continued success has inflicted on them immensely satisfying. With a mediocre team to follow these days the continued excellence of their once bitter rival is obviously one never ending knife to their hearts. It's great stuff.

If anyone is feeling a little disappointed that Sam didn't win, a trip to the Geelong board should lift your spirits. Many of them were in panic mode that he might salute and when it became clear he wouldn't, expressed their great relief that their prayers had been answered. I find their obsession with all things Hawthorn and the clear mental scarring that our teams" continued success has inflicted on them immensely satisfying. With a mediocre team to follow these days the continued excellence of their once bitter rival is obviously one never ending knife to their hearts. It's great stuff.
Had a look, utterly laughable. They are far, far, far beyond obsessed and pre-occupied. It's actually quite sad...

How did poppy not win MOTY?

Rabid Anti-shortism!

Nat Fyfe is a deserving winner of the award. But the award is one voted on by the umpires and it is an historic award but the mvp is one that I would hold in higher regard.

Last edited:
Another terrific season by Mitch that 'could' have won in many other seasons.

Glad for Fyfe thought who is an amazing player.

So glad the shit truck Priddis didn't win another. A little unfair calling him that I guess, but he really doesn't have the impact on games guys like Mitchell have IMO. A good honest footballer who does his job but not a player you fear IMO.

Inb4 Priddis shoves a Norm up my a**.

Had a look, utterly laughable. They are far, far, far beyond obsessed and pre-occupied. It's actually quite sad...

I like the guy who is pissy that his multi-bet on Guthrie didn't pay off because Selwood "just polls too well". How can you be in so much denial about your resident umpire's pet that you'd even blow your weekly ice budget betting against him.

I like the guy who is pissy that his multi-bet on Guthrie didn't pay off because Selwood "just polls too well". How can you be in so much denial about your resident umpire's pet that you'd even blow your weekly ice budget betting against him.
If there were two like buttons I'd have spent them both on this. Great work.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Top five vote getters of all time assorted in terms of votes per home and away game played (adjusted for the two umpire period)

Hawthorn: Top five vote getters (I have adjusted figures because of the two umpire period)

Sam Mitchell 204 votes 263 H/A games 0.775 votes per game
John Platten 143 votes 239 H/A games 0.598 votes per game
Leigh Matthews 173.5 votes 303 H/A games 0.573 votes per game
Shane Crawford 159 votes 293 H/A games 0.543 votes per game
Jason Dunstall 129 votes 248 H/A games 0.52 votes per game

League wide:

Gary Ablett 214 votes 257 H/A games 0.83 votes per game
Chris Judd 210 votes 262 H/A games 0.81 votes per game
Gary Dempsey 218.5 votes 310 H/A games 0.704 votes per game
Robert Harvey 215 votes 366 H/A games 0.587 votes per game

Top five all time in terms of votes per game:

Haydn Bunton 122 votes 117 H/A games 1.04 votes per game
Graham Moss 79 votes 83 H/A games 0.95 votes per game
Nat Fyfe 75 votes 83 H/A games 0.9 votes per game
Harold Bray 106 votes 121 H/A games 0.88 votes per game
Herbie Matthews 117 votes 136 H/A games 0.86 votes per game

Last edited:
Top five vote getters of all time assorted in terms of votes per home and away game played (adjusted for the two umpire period)

Hawthorn: Top five vote getters (I have adjusted figures because of the two umpire period)

John Platten 143 votes 239 H/A games 0.598 votes per game
Leigh Matthews 173.5 votes 303 H/A games 0.573 votes per game
Shane Crawford 159 votes 293 H/A games 0.543 votes per game
Jason Dunstall 129 votes 248 H/A games 0.52 votes per game

League wide:

Gary Ablett 214 votes 257 H/A games 0.83 votes per game
Chris Judd 210 votes 262 H/A games 0.81 votes per game
Gary Dempsey 218.5 votes 310 H/A games 0.704 votes per game
Robert Harvey 215 votes 366 H/A games 0.587 votes per game
Worth bearing in mind when we look at these stats that teams generally have far fewer stars these days capable of polling big numbers than in earlier eras.

Players likely to attract umpire attention in the current team are Mitchell, Hodge & Lewis. Guys like Roughead, Burgoyne, Smith, Gunston, Bruest, & Rioli will also poll but typically not as well.
Compare that to ours 80s heyday when you had the likes of Platten (Brownlow winner), Dipper (Brownlow winner), Dunstall, Brereton, Buckenara, Tuck, Pritchard, Ayres, Morrissey, Hall... then a few years later Jarman, Allan & Hudson. Both back-to-back teams so I think the comparison isn't too unfair on the current-day Hawks.

Which I think explains why 4 of the top 5 Brownlow vote getters are recent players. Probably also helps that possessions have never been easier to rack up and goals almost never harder to kick, so you have more votes flooding to the midfielders and fewer to forwards.
Kind of begs the question why the award isn't simply decided based on Supercoach points these days, at least then midfielders wouldn't need blonde hair, tattoos or a bald head to win it so someone like Robbie Gray might actually be a chance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Can Mitch win the Brownlow

Back