Can the bombers still make the 8 in 2010?

Remove this Banner Ad

commonwealth

Rookie
Sep 10, 2009
asd
AFL Club
Essendon
With 2 wins from 6 games is it out of reach for the mighty bombers to make the 8 ? They have been struggling with form and lost games in my opinion should have won which is disappointing but have also beaten our arch rivals with convincing wins in Carlton (haven't beaten us in the last 3 years) and Hawthorn.
We have a underrated team in Essendon that will prove a lot of critics wrong.

Discuss :footy:.

No. Not a good enough side. Teams very rarely come back from 2 - 4; I am sure its happened before but its the exception rather then the rule. Might be able to hurt some teams who are pushing for the top 8, but other then that Bombers are doomed. Couple of years away yet.

Possible, but if we did enter the 8 it will be towards the very end of the season. Remember we have played Geelong, Collingwood and Freo. Though i guess that isn't much of an excuse.

This may come as obvious, but Essendon got handed a horrible draw this season. Having to play Geelong, St.Kilda, WB and Collingwood twice I think they'll struggle to make the 8.
With the position the Bomber's are in (in the 7th to 11th bracket), they need a bit of luck with the draw and clearly they haven't got it, but what can you do?
With the improvements of Sydney and Fremantle + Carlton going alright, I don't think it'll happen.

No chance.

Will go in undermanned against Port.
Also have a shocking record against Port.

Will lose against St Kilda
Beat Richmond
Lose against Dogs
Lose against Sydney
Lose against Geelong

At that stage they will be 3-9.
In their last 10, they also face the Doggies, Collingwood and St Kilda again.

Maximum 10 wins imho.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's their draw like?

Port - Home
Saints - Away
Richmond - Home
WB - Home
Sydney - Away
Geelong - Home
Hawthorn - Away
Adelaide - Away
Melbourne - Away
West Coast - Home
North - Away
Saints - Home
Carlton - Home
Collingwood - Home
Lions - Home
WB - Away

As you can see, not good. Hawthorn to North it's alright, but after that will struggle to win a game. Next 5 rounds it'll be tough, Ricmond being the obvious win, but apart from that will again struggle.
Is too little made of the draw? Teams just have to deal with it, but in this case it's probably the difference between the Bombers making the 8 and missing it.
Comparing it to Port's draw (a team that was placed similar to Dons at the start of the season), they only play Geelong, WB and Collingwood once. But get to play Melbourne, Richmond and WCE twice. To me that straight away gives Port an advantage.

Port - Home L
Saints - Away L
Richmond - Home W
WB - Home L
Sydney - Away L
Geelong - Home L
Hawthorn - Away 50/50
Adelaide - Away 50/50
Melbourne - Away 50/50
West Coast - Home 50/50
North - Away 50/50
Saints - Home L
Carlton - Home 50/50
Collingwood - Home L
Lions - Home L
WB - Away L

IMO 6 50/50 games ..so it's still possible for them to make the 8 ..but the odds are against it.

I honestly think we will be able to answer this question with near certainty after this weekend. If we come out and beat Port with our tails up then we have shown we are capable of stringing a couple of good winning performances together (at least enough to win the 11 or 12 games required to make the eight). Thats not to say that if we win we will definitely make the 8, but it will simply be a definite possibility. I'd say if we win this week we will be 50/0 to play finals, if one was guessing. If we lose, even if only by a kick, then we have clearly shown that it takes too much effort for us to win games of football consistently and thus not good enough to make the 8.

How do you look at that list and pick out 11 wins?

Port - Home WIN
Saints - Away LOSS
Richmond - Home WIN
WB - Home LOSS
Sydney - Away LOSS
Geelong - Home 50/50
Hawthorn - Away WIN
Adelaide - Away WIN
Melbourne - Away WIN
West Coast - Home WIN
North - Away WIN
Saints - Home LOSS
Carlton - Home WIN
Collingwood - Home (will push them if not win)
Lions - Home chance
WB - Away LOSS

No. It would be great but at 2-4 it is incredibly difficult, particulary with such a tough draw. Port is a must win game. Lose and it's curtains for 2010. Win and there is still a slim chance, but the odds would still be against us.

We have only beaten Carlton (who we always beat) and Hawthorn who have only beaten Melbourne and Richmond in their last 12. We also are unable to get a steady team on the park; with multiple changes every week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Can the bombers still make the 8 in 2010?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back