Society/Culture Car driven by Afghan refugee mows down pedestrians in Melbourne CBD

Remove this Banner Ad

When the IRA were blowing up civilians there were plenty of people here and the US that supported that campaign.

The reason for their support? Catholicism or cultural?

It's a false analogy; a moving of the goalposts from the militants themselves to those that allow for them or support them. Remember we were talking about the militants who blow up opposition mosques and whether there was a religious element to their motivations.

The IRA list of bombings during the Troubles shows zero church casualties, so the analogy with Islamist blowing up of civilians at mosques and churches fails there too.

Last edited:
Think for yourself. Whether he had affiliations it's hard to deny this was a terrorist inspired act at least. Quite obviously it's the same mo as several Isis attacks in Europe, he blamed his actions on how Muslims were treated, Isis fighters were high on captagon which is a type of meth, just because he was on drugs doesn't preclude terrorism.
LOL, is that an excuse to make sh!t up.
Whilst i agree one should read, check, read more and double check so far what the person has said that could be alluded to a terrorist attack is that he didn't like the way muslims are treated, but yet the persons motivations have not been established.
And if that is his motivation, i don't like the way muslims are treated, what do we conclude, read and learn from this?

LOL, is that an excuse to make sh!t up.
Whilst i agree one should read, check, read more and double check so far what the person has said that could be alluded to a terrorist attack is that he didn't like the way muslims are treated, but yet the persons motivations have not been established.
And if that is his motivation, i don't like the way muslims are treated, what do we conclude, read and learn from this?

This is what should be emphasised. I don't see how anyone can be adamant its not terrorism, with what we know of the incident.

This is what should be emphasised. I don't see how anyone can be adamant its not terrorism, with what we know of the incident.
It's a blurry line. You have to be mentally ill to be a terrorist anyway. And you have to be mentally ill to wear a uniform and drop bombs on others from the legitimacy of a military.

It's a blurry line.

Especially if you're trying to blur the lines.

And you have to be mentally ill to wear a uniform and drop bombs on others from the legitimacy of a military.

Or to condone assault against another human being.

It's a false analogy; a moving of the goalposts from the militants themselves to those that allow for them or support them. Remember we were talking about the militants who blow up opposition mosques and whether there was a religious element to their motivations.

The IRA list of bombings during the Troubles shows zero church casualties, so the analogy with Islamist blowing up of civilians at mosques and churches fails there too.
It's a false analogy of your own making. You debate arguments that people aren't making.

The IRA are an example of one militant/terrorist group. Just one. I'm not making an analogy between them and the combined efforts of all militant groups that happen to be Islamic. You are. They are simply one that had a lot of supporters in the West (hence the example).

There are hundreds of militant groups. You don't understand them beyond them being "Islamic" or not so of course you don't understand the politics that drive them or the differences between them.

That's why you are part of the problem. Politically you support the enablers of many of these groups simply because they pacify your irrational fears. It's the deadliest of vicious circles the world has probably ever seen.

If the "globalists" are in charge & planning for perpetual war then ironically it's their biggest critics who would be their biggest enablers.

The IRA are an example of one militant/terrorist group. Just one. I'm not making an analogy between them and the combined efforts of all militant groups that happen to be Islamic. You are. They are simply one that had a lot of supporters in the West (hence the example).

Yes, they're an example, and clarifying something with an example of another is what an analogy is. You provided a bad analogy, for the reasons explained in my previous post.

Politically you support the enablers of many of these groups simply because they pacify your irrational fears

No, you do. See, it's easy to just make baseless claims about another person over the internet, rather than provide any actual arguments.

You're part of the problem :rolleyes:

Yes, they're an example, and clarifying something with an example of another is what an analogy is. You provided a bad analogy, for the reasons explained in my previous post.

No, you do. See, it's easy to just make baseless claims about another person over the internet, rather than provide any actual arguments.

Yes,he did say he could provide numerous examples and studies but couldn’t be bothered because they were so overwhelmingly numerous,which was obviously so burdensome for the sake of his argument.
The weight of expectation is negated by the weight of his confirmation biased bothersome evidence.
Religion in a nutshell.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

*chuckles*

I was quoting a comment about sympathisers of terrorist groups in the West. Of course the IRA are a perfect example of that.

I really have no idea what point you're arguing.

Is it that Christian militants or terrorists don't target churches? Again you'd be incredibly wrong. Targeting places of worships is as old as war itself. Hell even the Bible justifies it.

So what analogy am I supposed to have made in your alternate reality?

Instead of the black and white argument of this being caused by either mental illness or religious extremism, isn't it more likely that both were factors?
It's an interesting point, and is probably more of a continuum that an box A/box B thing.

The campaigner last year was ranting about religion, but they rightly decided that he was so far gone, it was more towards the mental illness side.

We probably need to find out more about this campaigner.

*chuckles*

I was quoting a comment about sympathisers of terrorist groups in the West. Of course the IRA are a perfect example of that.

I really have no idea what point you're arguing

Sounds likely, since I didn't mention terror sponsors, that's a whole other discussion.

Is it that Christian militants or terrorists don't target churches? Again you'd be incredibly wrong. Targeting places of worships is as old as war itself. Hell even the Bible justifies it.

Indeed, it's almost as though there is a religious justification for religious violence which is a culprit. This applies to Islam too, probably to a greater extent.

Instead of the black and white argument of this being caused by either mental illness or religious extremism, isn't it more likely that both were factors?
I think the level of paranoia it would take to commit such an act would be similar regardless of what you call it.

The threat if it is terrorism is the support he received, whether than be indirectly or directly. i.e. a further risk to the community.

If he was just a pissed off minority with mental health issues then there's no greater risk to the community.

That's why the anti-Islam crowd want it to be terrorism. They see all muslims as an implied risk and calling a deranged muslim a terrorist is for them vindication of their beliefs.

*chuckles*

Ahhh,your argument for christian brutality is the reclamation of lands due to crusades,a motivation and period funnily enough I’m more than happy to have happened.
Or are we talking about catholicism and it’s open alliance with fascism in the early part of the 20th Century?

Ahhh,your argument for christian brutality is the reclamation of lands due to crusades,a motivation and period funnily enough I’m more than happy to have happened.
Or are we talking about catholicism and it’s open alliance with fascism in the early part of the 20th Century?
What is with conservatives and the need to fabricate positions people aren't making?

You would however need to live in alternate reality to believe that atrocities justified by Christianity are only in our distant past.

Why would I bother wasting time debating that level of wilful ignorance?

What is with conservatives and the need to fabricate positions people aren't making?

You would however need to live in alternate reality to believe that atrocities justified by Christianity are only in our distant past.

Why would I bother wasting time debating that level of wilful ignorance?
I consider myself apolitical,I didn’t fabricate anything.
Yet you ignored my previous posts about your evidence which was overwhelming to the point of burdensome.
I asked you directly what the christian tyranny was that you talked of,it wasn’t an attack?!
So the ira then?
Or American imperial Christianity?
Or what?
I need clarification,plus that evidence of poverty playing a significant role in islamic terrorism as you asserted!
Cheers JD

*chuckles*

Where does the Bible justify it? Apart from "do not worship false idols" which could be interpreted as condoning attacks on other religions, I suppose.

I consider myself apolitical,I didn’t fabricate anything.
Of course you are.

Yet you ignored my previous posts about your evidence which was overwhelming to the point of burdensome.
I asked you directly what the christian tyranny was that you talked of,it wasn’t an attack?!
So the ira then?
Or American imperial Christianity?
Or what?
I need clarification,plus that evidence of poverty playing a significant role in islamic terrorism as you asserted!
Cheers JD
I ignored your posts as I took them to be ridiculously slanted, incredibly ignorant & a statement rather than a question.

What was there to respond to?

When was I talking about "christian tyranny" or poverty in the Islamic world?

You're hearing voices.

Assuming this is not terror related and no one dies, what is the maximum charge? Especially if the criminal intent can not be proved and just an extreme driving offence.

Well I assume you would have to start at attempted murder, but we'll have to wait until they formally interview him to see if it falls under the terror act

Where does the Bible justify it? Apart from "do not worship false idols" which could be interpreted as condoning attacks on other religions, I suppose.
Someone needs a refresher on the Bible. :)

You don't even need to rely on the barbaric Old Testament which has plenty of examples. Jesus himself is motivation enough in his cleansing of the temple story. That has a long history of being used to motivate violence against churches.

Someone needs a refresher on the Bible. :)

You don't even need to rely on the barbaric Old Testament which has plenty of examples. Jesus himself is motivation enough in his cleansing of the temple story. That has a long history of being used to motivate violence against churches.
I thought that he cleansed the temple of the money changers and parasites who had not much to do with what he saw as the core business of religion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Society/Culture Car driven by Afghan refugee mows down pedestrians in Melbourne CBD

Remove this Banner Ad

Back