Remove this Banner Ad

wooshta_9

All Australian
Suspended
Sep 10, 2003
Waikerie S.A
Other Teams
Fremantle
I still believe John Brown is the next Wayne Carey of the AFL. Think about it, they ways he plays, the way he acts, everything. He has Wayne Carey writen all over him.
Hes courageous and i think would be a sensational leader of his football club on and off the field.

And dont say becuas eof his injuries and temper he wont be any where near Carey was cos Wayne had the same problems.
He had a lot of injuries in his career mainly related to his shoulders and knees and yes he did loose his cool quite a bit aswell. I remember one Wayne carey being reported on 4 maybe 5 occasions in the 1994 season. There's a lot of comparisons there guys.

Thoughts

Pffft.

Poor man's Brereton. Is not and never will be in the league of Carey or Derm.

Doesn't kick enough goals. Reputation is better than his output.

Absolute insult to Carey.

Look at Brown's career stats to date, amazingly bad considering some twits rate him as the best KF in the game.

J.Brown

Ave Pos: 13.5 (Tredrea: 15)
Ave Marks: 6.1 (Tredrea, Tarrant and Lloyd all more)
Ave Goals: 1.3 (Again, Tredrea, Tarrant and Lloyd all more)

And don't give me this 'stats arent everything' crap, stats are FACT.

J.Brown = Chronically overrated.

leonmagic said:

Look at Brown's career stats to date, amazingly bad considering some twits rate him as the best KF in the game.

J.Brown

Agree entirely.

He does resemble Carey a bit. He can dominate games without touching the footy 20 times; mainly due to his physical style of play.

He has been a bit over-rated up to now but is still a bloody good CHF and only 22 years old.

Total Package said:
Jonathon Brown is a perfect example of how a good player becomes a hyped up champion because they play in a excellent team. Is Brown a better forward than Fevola? I don't think so.

Brown>Fevola quite comfortably...

leonmagic said:

J.Brown

So going by your theory you'd rather Tarrant than Brown? :rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brown is a great player who's fearless acts of courage and influence on a game oft cannot be measured by stats, that being said the same can be said for rievoldt & Tredrae.
carey on the other hand will go down in history as one of the greats of all time and set such a high standard he had to have 25 possies 12 marks and kick 3-4 goals for people to consider he had a good game, letalone get a brownlow vote

Roughead or franklin the new Carey (your allowed to dream)

Brown's physical game gets him rated above his footy impact. There are a large number of games he plays that he has minimal impact though. A lot more than Carey but it's an unfair comparison. Brown is still reasonably young by KPP standards and any side would love to have a player with his physical presence in a key position. He would be one of the first players I'd pick in a start up side but he is a long way from the best player in the comp and isn't even one of the best few forwards at this stage IMO. At the very least Lloyd, Tredrea, Hall and soon Reiwoldt, if not already, are better forwards IMO.

As with a player like Archer football is about more than getting it and kicking it and there isn’t a coach in the AFL that wouldn't take Brown and pay him half a mil without a moment’s hesitation. He has a fair bit of upside yet. He needs to get a lot smarter on the field which isn't easy for some. I get the impression he's no rocket scientist but he needs to stay out of trouble better than he does. He also need to hurt teams more on the scoreboard, particularly with Lynch gone and he needs to have less low impact games to be a candidate for the best forward of today, much less being compared to an all timer.

In relation to Carey comparisons, we will see how he goes when game plans centre around stopping him. Up to now he hasn’t really figured prominently in the stopping Brisbane plan. He has had Lynch up forward with him and Brisbane’s midfield and their backline run has been what everyone tries most to stop. If Brown had Carey attention I doubt anyone would contemplate a comparison yet. Having said that, Brown could very well make his stand this year and prove he is the man to drive Brisbane forward. He’ll have a few weeks to plan how to do that though.

I have a theory, that if Carey went up to Brisbane and worked with Brown, he'd most likely turn out to be top 10 best ever.

I liken Brown to Brereton more then Carey though. All 3 will be said to be "one of the best" when we are in our graves.

brown is better than most forwards in the competition, especially tarrant and fevola. i do agree with the point that he needs to hurt teams on the scoreboard more, and now he is going to get the best defender from every side, but at only 22 i think he is capable of being the one who leads brisbane 2 another flag. but he does need anger management thats true

leonmagic said:

J.Brown

OUt of curiosity, anyone know what Carey's stats were for the same age or same number of games as Brown has to date?

tapestry said:
OUt of curiosity, anyone know what Carey's stats were for the same age or same number of games as Brown has to date?

I'll asume you're not being a smart arse - I dont know where you could find them, as this site only goes back to (I think) 95.

tapestry said:

I know that at the same age Chris Grant had already won a best and fairest kicking over 70 goals in a team that played finals :cool: I also know that Browns never kicked 40 goals in a season, something Grant did when he was 17

Why compare him to Carey when he doesn't stack up well against guys like Tredrea, Grant and Reiwoldt??

Its a joke comparing him to Carey. Different league altogether. Brown is very physical, but he doesn't mark like Carey, doesn't kick like Carey and kicks not nearly enough goals

Remove this Banner Ad

Carey = Brown

Remove this Banner Ad

Back