Carlton – Was the Wok Cup the Final Hurrah?

Remove this Banner Ad

TheReason

Club Legend
Apr 19, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
After the shot in the arm with the Wok Cup, what happened?

Will Carlton reverse their fortunes for the remainder of this year.

Whitnall - past his prime. He was once considered to be in the top 3 CHF’s. Sadly, this was many years ago.
Fevola – Since the middle or last year has gone AWOL / POW / MIA
Pagan – Lost the confidence in his players and hence has told them to “coach themselves” this week.
Camporeale – Past his prime. A shadow of his former self these days.
Kouta – Injuries have taken their toll.
Stevens – On the injured list.

Ruckmen = none worth mentioning

Big Fev to chase the big money elsewhere?

What are the solutions to Carlton’s woes?

Carlton are ********

TheReason said:
Will Carlton off-load Big Fev? And what would Carlton expect in return?

Fev has been unfairly maligned for our team's bad form. For some reason he's been expected to take big contested grabs against 2 opponents which is not Fevola's strength. The team should be moving the ball quickly and kicking to him on the lead.

If he was traded, it would only be if he wanted to leave. In return I would expect a combo of either high draft picks, hard inside midfielders or young tall backmen. What we don't need is old players or outside players. So West Coast supporters should stop suggesting guys like Gardiner and Kerr.

Funkalicous said:
Fev has been unfairly maligned for our team's bad form. For some reason he's been expected to take big contested grabs against 2 opponents which is not Fevola's strength. The team should be moving the ball quickly and kicking to him on the lead.

If he was traded, it would only be if he wanted to leave. In return I would expect a combo of either high draft picks, hard inside midfielders or young tall backmen. What we don't need is old players or outside players. So West Coast supporters should stop suggesting guys like Gardiner and Kerr.
Kerr isn't that old. What is he, 22? I'd take Kerr and a draft pick.

And before the Weagles supporter start flaming me remember talls are always > than smalls. A top class forward is the most valuable commodity in the AFL.

Put Wells, Goddard and Kepler Bradley into our side along with Waite, Thornton, Fevola, Betts, Stevens & Andrew Walker, and suddenly you're thinking we look ok for the future. Not whingeing but hey they belted us by stripping our draft picks, what did you expect?

We just have to play the draft game like StKilda did, unfortunately our pride won't allow us to lay down and cop it. So we fight hard like last year and finish 10th when we we're definitely the worst list in the league, and get rewarded for our endevours with draft pick#9.

We just have to make big decisions end of this year, trading Campo and Fev wouldn't necessarily be bad if we could secure a few top 10 draft picks for them.

gandaal said:
Kerr isn't that old. What is he, 22? I'd take Kerr and a draft pick.

And before the Weagles supporter start flaming me remember talls are always > than smalls. A top class forward is the most valuable commodity in the AFL.

I was using Kerr as an example of an outside player. Collingwood need outside players, Carlton need draft picks.

Perhaps a three way trade...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Deej said:
Put Wells, Goddard and Kepler Bradley into our side along with Waite, Thornton, Fevola, Betts, Stevens & Andrew Walker, and suddenly you're thinking we look ok for the future. Not whingeing but hey they belted us by stripping our draft picks, what did you expect?

We just have to play the draft game like StKilda did, unfortunately our pride won't allow us to lay down and cop it. So we fight hard like last year and finish 10th when we we're definitely the worst list in the league, and get rewarded for our endevours with draft pick#9.

We just have to make big decisions end of this year, trading Campo and Fev wouldn't necessarily be bad if we could secure a few top 10 draft picks for them.
Campo wouldn't get us anything at this point, although it would be nice to get rid of him and break up what's left of the clique so some of the young kids can get some chances.

Deej said:

Basically what Collingwood are faced with as well... trading some better players to start rebuilding.

TheReason said:

Whitnall - past his prime. He was once considered to be in the top 3 CHF’s. Sadly, this was many years ago.
Pagan – Lost the confidence in his players and hence has told them to “coach themselves” this week.

Good thread. Intelligent, insightful and loaded with factual data. You should be writing for a newspaper with all the other clueless f uckwits.

Funkalicous said:
I was using Kerr as an example of an outside player. Collingwood need outside players, Carlton need draft picks.

Perhaps a three way trade...
Fevola to West Coast,Tarrant to Carlton,Kerr to Collingwood?

TheReason said:

Funny game footy, win and everything changes....until you lose again the week after. If you went each week on the "on today's performance " theory, no win would win the flag because no-one goes unbeaten.

Done ok given the draft penalites and a cobbled together team. 10 wins last year and a wizzer cup win against the flag favourites shows the direction is on the right track. Although not many sides play the wizzer with great passion, you still have to play pretty well to win it. And Carlton did play some great footy then. Naturally it's a little differnet in the H & A but they did show they could play. Had a big letdown after the wizzer, not playing the with anywhere near the same intensity or passion since, probably the bottom line at the present. Even without that intensity, they've played ok until last week.

Fev is more valuable than Tarrant i reckon, although i'm probably biased.

I wouldn't want players for Fev anyway, I'd want draft picks. At least one of the top 2 or 3 picks, and another one probably in the range of 8-12. Fev is young key position, is quality when he wants to be, is improving, is just crying out for a decent midfield to feed him 100+ a year. Any team with a decent midfield and requires a bit more firepower to possibly get a flag or two should be tripping over themselves to get Fevola. I don't think Collingwood fit that profile though. More like a WCE, Geelong, Freo, maybe Adelaide or even Footscray.

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton – Was the Wok Cup the Final Hurrah?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back