Carlton – Was the Wok Cup the Final Hurrah?

Remove this Banner Ad

Funkalicous said:
I was using Kerr as an example of an outside player. Collingwood need outside players, Carlton need draft picks.

Perhaps a three way trade...
except for judd daniel kerr is our best inside midfielder and one of the top in the league, he turns 22 next week and has played 88 games. hes absolutely perfect for carlton

your thinking of micheal braun

weagles_fan said:
Who do Collingwood have that Carlton would want then?

****** carlton.

I wouldnt give them the smell of my farts.

Picks 1 and 4 or tazz.

****** off corrupt carlton.

What thats i hear! whitnalls available, hahaha, no thx.

Tell em there dreamin.

zero said:
except for judd daniel kerr is our best inside midfielder and one of the top in the league, he turns 22 next week and has played 88 games. hes absolutely perfect for carlton

your thinking of micheal braun

Judd/Kerr = not an inside midfielder

http://westcoasteagles.com.au/default.asp?pg=players&spg=playerprofile&personid=13558 - Kerr listed at 78 kgs

http://westcoasteagles.com.au/default.asp?pg=players&spg=playerprofile&personid=13758 - Judd at 82 kgs

Looking over it all you actually have a pretty light-on midfield, but having said that I would say someone like Braun or Cousins drives the ball out in the sense of being an inside midfielder than these two.

Receiving sheppards at stoppages and streaming out with the ball is not what an inside midfielder does traditionally. Somehow this still counts as a hard ball gets though.

When I say Carlton needs an inside player, I mean like a 'Brett Ratten' hard-nut. Someone like a McLean. We already have two of the best clearence players in Kouta and Stevens.

Oh look .... another Carlton thread. I didn't think we had been in the media too much this week but BigFooty is making up for it.

Might have to make me up one of Geke's obsession photoshop thingy's ... or not.

The Old Dark Navy's said:
Oh look .... another Carlton thread. I didn't think we had been in the media too much this week but BigFooty is making up for it.

Might have to make me up one of Geke's obsession photoshop thingy's ... or not.

:eek: Surely Patrick Smith has given us a pasting?!

Funkalicous said:
:eek: Surely Patrick Smith has given us a pasting?!
I haven't seen it posted and being up North like you, we don't exactly get a lot of exposure to the Melbourne press. I don't know though, has there been much media attention apart from the Fevola contract thing?

The Old Dark Navy's said:
I haven't seen it posted and being up North like you, we don't exactly get a lot of exposure to the Melbourne press. I don't know though, has there been much media attention apart from the Fevola contract thing?

Well IMO, clubs appear to feed off media bashing and personally I was hoping this would be Carlton's week. Unfortunately selfish old Collingwood have had their second media bash for the season. If you thought Collingwood hogging all the FNF games was bad, this certainly will get your blood boiling.

Collingwood were the AFL scapegoats after round 2 and surprise, surprise, it resulted in there only win for the season. Fremantle were the scapegoats after round 4... and won round 5. Port Adelaide were the scpaegoats after round 6... and won game 7. Surely this week was going to be Carlton's turn, but Eddie just keeps wanting more! :mad: ;)

IMO, Carlton need to take a very very close look at what St.Kilda has done in recent years. Even though players like Everitt, Hall, Wakelin boys, etc.. were good players, they felt they wouldn't deliver the club what they wanted, premiership success.

Carlton needs to go through their list and do the same. Will the following players deliver Carlton back into finals action?

Camporeale - NO
Whitnall - No
Fevola - MAYBE
Lappin - MAYBE
Waite - Yes
Walker - Yes

IMO, Carlton needs to make some hard decisions. If Fevola wants to leave, then great, give us some picks in the first round of draft, ala Ottens, and see where we go from there.

Trade Campo as well. Not sure what we'd get for him, probably nothing on current form, but at least mention his name during trade talks.

Come on guys, lets get serious

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TheReason said:
After the shot in the arm with the Wok Cup, what happened?

Will Carlton reverse their fortunes for the remainder of this year.

Thanks for your question.

The Blues pasting of the Weagles in the Wizard Cup was enjoyable, but they're obviously been disappointing since then due to injuries, suspensions and poor form. Still early season and I'm confident our young side will turn it around and make the 8. Still not happy with our line-up. Need either Livo or Karl are at CHB to relieve pressure on our forwards. Nice having the super-talented Fev back. BTW, the Weagles would die for a KP forward of even half his talent level - in meantime they have the very ordinary Lynch, who's the Weagles version of a Holland. A full strength Carlton backline with Thornton, Livo, and Karl while not the best in the comp, is considerably better the Glass/Hunter comb which is pretty ordinary. Our midfield is down a bit on form, but you'll recall Stevens gave the Weagles midfield a solid caining in the last quarter during our last encounter. I guess the point I'm trying to make, is the young Blues are playing well below potential, a point which seems to grate with you a bit. Even the in the Wizard Cup GF, Kouta was playing at about 10% and the super-talented Waite wasn't playing. The Weagle's were pretty much at full-strength and were going for it 100%, hence their disappointment. Hope this helps. :)

parrot said:
Thanks for your question.

The Blues pasting of the Weagles in the Wizard Cup was enjoyable, but they're obviously been disappointing since then due to injuries, suspensions and poor form. Still early season and I'm confident our young side will turn it around and make the 8. Still not happy with our line-up. Need either Livo or Karl are at CHB to relieve pressure on our forwards. Nice having the super-talented Fev back. BTW, the Weagles would die for a KP forward of even half his talent level - in meantime they have the very ordinary Lynch, who's the Weagles version of a Holland. A full strength Carlton backline with Thornton, Livo, and Karl while not the best in the comp, is considerably better the Glass/Hunter comb which is pretty ordinary. Our midfield is down a bit on form, but you'll recall Stevens gave the Weagles midfield a solid caining in the last quarter during our last encounter. I guess the point I'm trying to make, is the young Blues are playing well below potential, a point which seems to grate with you a bit. Even the in the Wizard Cup GF, Kouta was playing at about 10% and the super-talented Waite wasn't playing. The Weagle's were pretty much at full-strength and were going for it 100%, hence their disappointment. Hope this helps. :)
:D your funny.

Good thing you dont take yourself seriosly!!

whats the point of having super talented forwards if they never perform? ash hansen is no star, he isnt anywhere near as talented as a fevola or whitnall. both those guys are rated a mile higher than ash.

but their problem is carltons problem. they are undisciplined and inconsistent. ash hansen has kicked more goals, taken more marks and got more possessions than either of carltons star forwards this year,and its only because he works his ass off and plays to his ability each week, rather than going missing.

that sort of consistency across the whole team, along with depth and the ability to cover injuries, is why west coast is 8 points and percentage clear on the top of the ladder and carlton are scrabbling around at 12th and terrible percentage

parrot said:
I guess the point I'm trying to make, is the young Blues are playing well below potential, a point which seems to grate with you a bit. Even the in the Wizard Cup GF, Kouta was playing at about 10% and the super-talented Waite wasn't playing. The Weagle's were pretty much at full-strength and were going for it 100%, hence their disappointment. Hope this helps. :)
More like they were playing above their potential,or it just looked that way because the other teams weren't trying their hardest?

parrot said:
Still early season and I'm confident our young side will turn it around and make the 8.

Well after reading that bit, you're on your own now Parrot, I admire your loyalty & optimism but ...................................

We are pretty damn ordinary and the Wizard Cup win gave false hope to all of Blues supporters (except yourself). We have no serious key position defenders or forwards, a ruckman who realistically is a second-stringer even though he is playing his ring off at present. Our midfield is okay but not great, so until the likes of Walker, Russell & Hartlett really hit their straps, we are in deep poo !!

weagles_fan said:
More like they were playing above their potential,or it just looked that way because the other teams weren't trying their hardest?

We won it and you lost it! You know the deal......build a bridge or shut the ******** up.

Seriously, you lot go on and on and on about how the 'wok cup' didn't mean anything and that you didn't really want it and blah blah blah, but all you do is whinge about it STILL.........10 weeks after it happened and even when your on top of the ladder.

God damn, i know ex-girlfriends who bitch less than you do!

And the rest of you........Everybody is so quick to ********can carlton and thier players. But we are all quick to forget the likes of Melbourne who have a bad season every odd year and score themselves some handy draft picks.

Or the Bulldogs, who manage to get a priority pick year after year after year yet STILL can't make the finals.

Or StKilda.......who make it their priority just to get a priority pick!

Or the Richmond fans who say Carlton has the most 'Feral' supporters.....................Yeah? When have you seen a Carlton fan spit at Dennis Pagan?

At least the likes of West Coast MADE the Wizard Cup GF. Oh yeah, i forgot........your teams didn't care.

Blow me!

I for one hope Campo sees out his career at Carlton.

It's special when a player plays their whole career at one club and i think he's been a great player over the years and would be very very disapointed if he was traded away(which he won't be).

He's knocked back a few good offers from S.A teams over the years to return home and reamined loyal to the blue, i think the club and supporters should show that same loyalty to him.

weagles_fan said:
You realise the Eagles were ahead in the last quarter?

Do you mean the Weagles were actually trying to win. Deary me I thought that the only reason Carlton won the Wizzer Cup was because no one else could be actually bothered to trying to win the $200,000 1st prize. I didn't realise that all of the other 15 clubs were so financially flush that they could afford to ignore that mere pittance, and the chance to blood the odd rookie and not to mention the possiblity of attracting a few new members if they played OK.

I hope no one else tries to win it again it next year and we will pull another $200 gees. On 2nd thoughts why waste everyone's time and just call the pre season comp. off and give Carlton the cash every year from now on!!!!

All Carlton supporters were happy to see the Blues have a win and Parrot aside most are realistic enough to realise that winning the Wizard Cup is very long way away from the last the Saturday in September.

As far as I am concerned winning the pre season cup is a lot better than losing it. I didn't hear too many Saint's supporters complaining about winning the Cup and the cash last year and it certainly didn't hinder their early season form as they won 10 games in a row. Most clubs are happy to win what they can when the opportunity presents itself.

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton – Was the Wok Cup the Final Hurrah?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back