Hot Topic Carlton 2024 Trade Discussion

What are you prepared to pay for Dan Houston?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Added a poll re Houston

Voted the best option I can.

My preferred trade would be F1 and compensation from Owies/Kennedy (both if we had to).

Would then hope to sign Membrey or a cheap trade for Rosas or equivalent forward (i.e. F3 for forward + F4).

Kennedy + Owies + F1 for Houston + Membrey/small forward would be a great outcome.

Race for Dan Houston, I didn’t realise we were in a race….has someone told Austin.

AFL trade news: Collingwood aims to trump Carlton in race for Port Adelaide star Dan Houston

Look away now Blues fans. Carlton’s chances of landing Dan Houston were already drifting — now the club’s biggest rival is ready to take advantage of friction between the Blues and Port Adelaide.

Austin is on leave until next Tuesday.

Nothing means good picks / trades coming back our way...

On CPH2135 using BigFooty.com mobile app
We are crazy if we trade Young out and don’t draft or trade a replacement for him. We desperately need to develop our own young (modern) key defender. (Clancy Dennis and Harry O’Farrell top the wish list) Will be a hiatus if we just draft a kid who will be a couple of years minimum developing, but Haynes helps and I expect Lemmey to be developed back and Kempy to stay there in the short term.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are crazy if we trade Young out and don’t draft or trade a replacement for him. We desperately need to develop our own young (modern) key defender. (Clancy Dennis and Harry O’Farrell top the wish list) Will be a hiatus if we just draft a kid who will be a couple of years minimum developing, but Haynes helps and I expect Lemmey to be developed back and Kempy to stay there in the short term.
Remember reading about young Clancy, he sounds like a very promising KPD in the making. Hopefully Austin is well aware

of his potential. Be a really nice get, imo.

I'm greedy, but would love two picks in the teens and then another in the 20s to grab O'Farrell or Dennis before a bid on Ben....don't know if we have the currency (or list spots) to manage that
We should get O’Farrell under the father / son provisions of the Family Law Act 1975 - full custody to the father’s football team is in the child’s best interest…:)

If we miss out on 13 I'm not crazy about using our F1 to get a later 1st. Not worth it to get a pick around 20. Leaves us little flexiblibility at the trade table next year plus the downside if we don't go as well as we'd hoped.
Doesn’t matter if the talent (or target) down the queue is better this time around vs 2025.
Though if 2025 season is disastrous, then we’re buggered in more ways than one (also got development into a youngster in advance ala Cowan).

If we miss out on 13 I'm not crazy about using our F1 to get a later 1st. Not worth it to get a pick around 20. Leaves us little flexiblibility at the trade table next year plus the downside if we don't go as well as we'd hoped.
From next year you can trade picks 2-years in advance so even if we don't want to use our 26' first (Cody Walker) we could use our 27' first. Gives us more flexibility. So imo we should be moving our 25' pick into this year's draft and get an extra year of development into the player

From next year you can trade picks 2-years in advance so even if we don't want to use our 26' first (Cody Walker) we could use our 27' first. Gives us more flexibility. So imo we should be moving our 25' pick into this year's draft and get an extra year of development into the player

Those picks 2 years in advance are going to be heavily discounted when traded. You already see it with future picks being worth less then current picks most the time. I can see some being moved around but suspect in most cases the risk won't be worth the reward.

Good chance we need both picks for Walker anyway with the new bidding system.

I get that it's much more exciting to get an extra pick this year but we need to make sure that if we are giving up valuable currency that we actually get value from it.

The extra years development isn't worth much if we are getting an inferior player.

What chance of Owies going to Brisbane? We'd want to be dealing for their #20 in some way.

Or trade involving Beecken or Craven who are borderline to retain spots due to their list squeeze being tighter than ours.

Last edited:
We should get O’Farrell under the father / son provisions of the Family Law Act 1975 - full custody to the father’s football team is in the child’s best interest…:)
I know this is a joke but can an ex 100 game player actually adopt children then potentially have them as father sons. Could have our own ‘blindside’ movie adaptation.

Edit: I found this from 2012 - https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/questions-on-afl-adopted-children-blood-rule-20120510-1yfzl.html

What chance of Owies going to Brisbane? We'd want to be dealing for their #20 in some way.

Or trade involving Beecken or Craven who are borderline to retain spots due to their list squeeze being tighter than ours.

Lions will want picks otherwise no chance they get rid of 20.

I think depends what we can do with other trades. We'd need to trade Kennedy for another pick in the 30's. Find a way to get another pick in late 40's or early 50's (maybe trade our F3 for one?). Package those with our second rounder. If the points total difference between those 3 picks and 20 is significant enough, Lions might consider it.

I know this is a joke but can an ex 100 game player actually adopt children then potentially have them as father sons. Could have our own ‘blindside’ movie adaptation.

Edit: I found this from 2012 - https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/questions-on-afl-adopted-children-blood-rule-20120510-1yfzl.html
If it was possible, you'd think Port would have explored this with JHF. His step-father (Fabian Francis) played over 100 games - though mixed between Port pre-AFL and post-AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hot Topic Carlton 2024 Trade Discussion

Back