Hot Topic Carlton 2024 Trade Discussion

What are you prepared to pay for Dan Houston?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

You are dreaming

I think I might be dreaming. Is there really a Port poster throwing shade on our team board? Respectful discussion is welcome, or the Drafts and Trade board might be more to your liking.

1. So we want to turn F1 and #34 into #13.

2. Then we want to turn Kennedy and Owies into F2s.

3. Then we want to turn #13 and a current R2 or F2 into Houston.

The first is more than reasonable for the Gold Coast. They may also want an F2 in which case we swap #34 for an F2.

The second is doable in the sense that Kennedy and Owies are surely worth a pick in the top 36 each, but are there suitors who will pay? We need the two F2s or 1 F2 and 1 current R2.

The third is reasonable for many, but not enough for some. It will depend on whether Houston nominates us or not.

If we can land all of these deals, we have Houston, but lose Kennedy, Owies, an F1 and a current 2nd rounder.

Port fans will be saying we should just give up the two first rounders, and keep Kennedy, Owies and the 2nd rounder. You'd think those 3 things should be enough to get us well inside the first round, but it's a lot of work.

It's a little scrappy.

Very smart business. It's a more than fair offer for the Suns, and they get to deathride us all next year.

I'd try to get their #41 or #49 back though, just to make sure we cover the Camporeale twins, or move up a bit with our last couple of draft picks.

Just a left field thought re what might be an option to be coming back.
Lachie Weller :
28yo with 140 games under his belt.
Adds a bit of pace across a few positions and is in the desired age range for Voss to plug and play if he chooses.
The benefit to GC is moving his salary from their books which might help swing the deal our way and it ties in with the rumoured salary dump that would be serviceable without knocking our socks off.
He is contracted for 2 more seasons to 2026 which, then aged 30, we can either delist him or take it year by year from there …

Out : 2025 1st & 2nd rounders
In : Pick 13 & Weller

Just a left field thought re what might be an option to be coming back.
Lachie Weller :
28yo with 140 games under his belt.
Adds a bit of pace across a few positions and is in the desired age range for Voss to plug and play if he chooses.
The benefit to GC is moving his salary from their books which might help swing the deal our way and it ties in with the rumoured salary dump that would be serviceable without knocking our socks off.
He is contracted for 2 more seasons to 2026 which, then aged 30, we can either delist him or take it year by year from there …

Out : 2025 1st & 2nd rounders
In : Pick 13 & Weller

I'd do that for sure. Real moneyball scenario.

I'm packing it in if the club gives up so much for Houston. I've had enough! I hope the club finishes on the bottom of the ladder next year, or close to it - it would serve them right!

It's a mug's game, not only won't it work but the desperado tactics are like chasing money for the sake of chasing money, rather than for what it gets you. I have plenty of greater interests than the AFL, I don't need it. At worst it will give me something to feel superior over.

Bye, bye!

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With Richards requesting Port Houston very likely to land at Pies when they bend Gold Coast over at the trade table.

If they get a first for Noble it's a joke. Contracted and comparable to Kennedy. We'd be rightfully laughed out of the building for asking for what they are for him.

Reading between the lines, I don’t think we get Houston, unless he nominates us and only wants us. Thinking likely he stays at Port unless Magpies “sell the farm” for him. They don’t have much 2024 collateral and clearly are happy go hard with futures as well as having the steak knives with Joe Richards wanted by Port.

Personally, despite him being absolute quality, he is not worth sacrificing what little spare draft capital we will have for the foreseeable future. New AFL father/son will tap us out of anything bar Cody and chump change in 2026 and preclude us from trading back next year. Clearly suggests Owies is gone.

Loved Austin projecting where the club sees players. Wants games in to Ashton Moir, looking at getting Motlop and Durdin back fit and Haynes complements Weitering, KEMP, and McGovern in our backline mix.

Group think here has Kemp anywhere but back, reality is he is still regarded as a “key” backman internally first and foremost. Austin mentioned Silvagni returning from ACL in the forward mix.

Last edited:
With Richards requesting Port Houston very likely to land at Pies when they bend Gold Coast over at the trade table.

If they get a first for Noble it's a joke. Contracted and comparable to Kennedy. We'd be rightfully laughed out of the building for asking for what they are for him.
Noble plus future first is roughly the deal, so not really a joke, just the way it is reported. Think most clubs believe we under performed this year and are expecting us to be higher next year. They will not value our future picks as high as a Collingwood for example.

Think our club should be flattered. We are rated across the comp. (That is why they rejoice, hard, when we slip up)

Noble plus future first is roughly the deal, so not really a joke, just the way it is reported. Think most clubs believe we under performed this year and are expecting us to be higher next year. They will not value our future picks as high as a Collingwood for example.

Think our club should be flattered. We are rated across the comp. (That is why they rejoice, hard, when we slip up)

It's worse than that mate. Have a laugh at this

It's worse than that mate. Have a laugh at this

Delusional for a defender that barely defends. GC need to put their foot down and show that they're not a pushover in the trade period any more.

No, the suggested deal included Filth getting #23 & #29 as well.

If it were #13 for F1 & Nobel then nobody would be calling it a joke.
I'd want more than that from Collingwood. If Noble was out of contract this year, Collingwood would get nothing for him.

This is a stronger draft, and it's a deferred pick on top of that. Collingwood are going for the 8 again, and losing names like Richards and Noble aren't going to sway that one way or the other, so it'll come down to injuries for them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hot Topic Carlton 2024 Trade Discussion

Back