Hot Topic Carlton 2024 Trade Discussion

What are you prepared to pay for Dan Houston?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Do we need to trade in more third or fourth rounders for both Campo boys?

Not quite sure how it works but the three later picks we have currently are only worth the equivalent of pick 67

It would be handy, but might not be necessary. Depends when the bid/s come. And how early bids for Ashcroft, Kako and Marshall come.

Those bids will wipe out a stack of picks, so ours will come in and gain more points.
Would be great if we could get some late picks for the Owies etc.

Our trade with Hawthorn was aggressive, but I like it. 14 in a strong draft gives us two good picks to pick up two good kids, well before a bid will come in for one of the Campo Twin. Looks like our draft hand is going to be 2 top-20 picks and the Campo twins. Or we're offering 12 for Houston to get ahead of Collingwood...

The trade with Brisbane is even better. Moves out pick 34, which probably would get swallowed up by Ben. We slid our 4th round pick back 7 spots, but in reality, we didn't move at all. Before a bid for Ben will be bids for Ashcroft, Marshall, Lombard and Kako will all be top 10 picks and eat up multiple picks - 73 likely slides back to around where it was before, so we don't really lose any points, which is what we need these picks for anyway. We probably still need a handful of points to cover a bid, but we're in good shape, especially if we get anything back for Owies or Carroll (although I'm not holding my breath on either...). The more picks the academy players swallow before a bid for ben, the more our late picks are worth.

Next year we obviously start without a first, but we would surely be looking to trade our 2026 F1 into 2025, given Cody is tracking nicely. We've also swapped our 2nd for Brisbanes, and hopefully its actually an upgrade :) or at least only a small move back.

In any case, finally some trades are happening - hopefully this gets things moving.

Just got back from the hospital (opthamologists) and lunch out with the missus (to show her my appreciation).

Interesting hearing perspective from there other side on trades.

Hawks fam again

You have a couple of smart operators in that club in Nick and Graham who understand the best way to get a trade done is to not just look at your own club but to outline how a trade can be beneficial for the other as well.

We thought the West Coast trade would be quite a bit easier than what it's proven to be and we weren't keen when Gold Coast leaked your offer to give them leverage in the Collingwood trade.

When West Coast turned down our most recent option we turned out attention to what Nick had presented. N+G were able to show us how helping them achieve their goals would inevitably help us achieve ours.

There's still quite a bit of water to go under the bridge for us but we've bolstered your draft hand and you've strengthened our position on accomplishing our goals.

And no, I don't believe we will be bidding on the Camporeales. Suspect unless St Kilda play funny buggers you'll get Ben in the 3rd round and Lucas as a rookie. That Brisbane trade was clever.

I thought we only had Brisbane’s future pick.

Yeah sorry. Checking in on the road and missed the detail in the Hawks trade.

Nick Austin is a pretty smart operator. Has a strategy and isn’t put off by external noise. Cowan for a future 2nd (in the 40's) is a good example .

I'm sure that we've sat down and done a draft board where we can be comfortable that no matter what happens we can get two players that we both rate and fill a need will be available within the top 15. Now he has made that happen.

We can also just sit and watch what happens in a number of other scenarios knowing that we have collateral if something/somebody shakes out

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does this mean we will 'win' the Trade Period :tearsofjoy:

'Carlton pulled off the coup of this year’s trade period when it landed pick 14 from Hawthorn'
As long as the HUN grade our trade period A+, I actually don't care about who we get or how we get there.

Season 5 Smile GIF by NBC

Gives some good flexibility, either offer first F1 pick for Houston, or take best available with it and can sell second pick back slightly on draft night slightly for more picks. Or just take 2 high quality kids

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We could only consider 14 for 19&22 if we knew that guaranteed Houston otherwise we have downgraded our 1st and have another pick we don't need.

Also, no chance 19 & 22 gets Houston done. It would be 12 & 19 or 12 & 22.

Would we consider Brisbane's Harry Sharp for the right price? Good speed/endurance combination, I know he is talking Demons but would have thought we would be at least as attractive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hot Topic Carlton 2024 Trade Discussion

Back