Official Club Stuff Carlton Academy - Next Gen & Father/Son/Daughter Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I am a hard task master regarding disposals, but I am far less critical of Ben’s kicking than some are. If you actually put the eye test to his connection during championship games, it was well up there. Yes, he is not classic, but largely effective. The position he plays relates a lot of bombing (see Walshy). He is arguably “elite” by hand, has a great work rate and built for the tough stuff. Extractor and sweeper, will be a solid piece.
Too many guns fall down the draft boards for small issues that get overblown and outsized. I am tired and can't think of many examples off my head but I know there's been plenty....

Cripps - fitness/kicking

Fyfes is actually pretty funny. Will be remembered for his strength size and skill. Bruising punishing gun at his peak. Slipped because 'slim build' poor evasion and fumbles. Won't ever be more than a 3rd tall.....

Derp

Too many guns fall down the draft boards for small issues that get overblown and outsized. I am tired and can't think of many examples off my head but I know there's been plenty....

Cripps - fitness/kicking

Fyfes is actually pretty funny. Will be remembered for his strength size and skill. Bruising punishing gun at his peak. Slipped because 'slim build' poor evasion and fumbles. Won't ever be more than a 3rd tall.....

Derp
My favourite faux deficiency is 'in-between size'. Though the payer in question didn't slip, I can remember some fan who's side was going to have a high pick declare that if there was one player they didn't want their side to draft, it was the Bont.

Having said that, you can make the same mistake in reverse and put the blinkers on to a player's limitations.

Last edited:
It was reported a month or so ago that we had signed a few deals with leagues in our NGA zone, which is great of course.

But until we can get some more eligible players at the Knights, we will struggle.

I’ve been told the majority of the Knights players attend Parade College, which won the Herald sun shield again this year, after winning it last year and being runner up the year before, the intermediate (yr9-10) have won it twice the past three years.

So unless we can get players from diverse backgrounds in to this school, we will struggle.

It was reported a month or so ago that we had signed a few deals with leagues in our NGA zone, which is great of course.

But until we can get some more eligible players at the Knights, we will struggle.

I’ve been told the majority of the Knights players attend Parade College, which won the Herald sun shield again this year, after winning it last year and being runner up the year before, the intermediate (yr9-10) have won it twice the past three years.

So unless we can get players from diverse backgrounds in to this school, we will struggle.
Tyson Gresham and Jack Ison both playing rep./futures footy this season. Shaping as “certain” draftees at this stage. Our NGA is about to deliver, albeit next season.

Just trawling through some articles on Jack ISON and another name has popped up in the Carlton articles, Mingarra Clark, eligible next year with ISON and Gresham.

For any draft watchers or Coates league watchers, why are ISON and Clark both playing for Oakleigh chargers, when their local club is Parkside in Alphington?

Ok this has thrown me, although most of our zone is covered by the Northern Knights, these suburbs below fall in to the Oakleigh Chargers zone, which is why ISON and Clark play their.

Abbotsford, Burnley, Carlton North, Clifton Hill, Collingwood, Cremorne, Fitzroy, Fitzroy North, Princes Hill, Richmond and parts of Alphington and Fairfield

Fwiw Cripps was all but an awful kick until the last 2 or 3 years so it can be developed over time, he just has to work at it like Cripps did. Big if as Crippas workrate is all time elite, so we'll see.

All comes to applications when you are in the system and how hard you are willing to work on improving your game. We all saw how bad Cripps kicking was, I think he is one of our best kicks in the midfield currently.

Fwiw Cripps was all but an awful kick until the last 2 or 3 years so it can be developed over time, he just has to work at it like Cripps did. Big if as Crippas workrate is all time elite, so we'll see.
The knock on Murphy back in 2005 was supposedly his kicking. Sometimes draft watchers focus on things that don't matter.

The knock on Murphy back in 2005 was supposedly his kicking. Sometimes draft watchers focus on things that don't matter.
Ben Campo's kicking is so far off Murphy's kicking it's not even funny. Absolutely miles off it.

Ben's kicking will be his biggest question mark on him playing regular AFL footy, would guarantee it.

It's also why one of the best ball winners and accumulators of the footy in this draft class is ranked outside the top 30 in many phantoms. If he was a better user by foot he'd be firmly in the top 10-15

I mean to be fair Cripps kicking was poor for years, he's worked on it enough that now it's decent but pretty much until the last 2 or 3 years he was a liability by foot.

He had a few knocks pre-draft (hence why he fell to us, and it was even called a reach back then) but to his huge credit he's developed his mindset so much that it's transformed his game, eliminating or limiting almost all of them through his hard work. I doubt even we expected him to get to this level.

Last edited:
Ben Campo's kicking is so far off Murphy's kicking it's not even funny. Absolutely miles off it.

Ben's kicking will be his biggest question mark on him playing regular AFL footy, would guarantee it.

It's also why one of the best ball winners and accumulators of the footy in this draft class is ranked outside the top 30 in many phantoms. If he was a better user by foot he'd be firmly in the top 10-15

Shades of Worpel, maybe?

Last edited:
Cody played against the 18 year old draft class for the Bendigo Pioneers on the weekend,

Rookie Me Central write up.

52 Cody Walker
Midfielder/Forward | 185cm | 26/01/2008

Stats:
15 disposals, 4 inside 50s, 3 rebound 50s

You’d be hard pressed to find a 16-year-old more capable of holding up in a dour, wet weather slog up at Under 18 level than Walker. The 2026 Carlton father-son and Richmond NGA prospect took some time to find his feet but covered the damp ground typically well and was able to connect the lines with his ball use. He proved strong in tackles and while it was difficult to gain metres by driving his legs into space, the effort to do so was there.

Last edited:
Cody played against the 18 year old draft class for the Bendigo Pioneers on the weekend,

Rookie Me Central weite up.

52 Cody Walker

Stats:

You’d be hard pressed to find a 16-year-old more capable of holding up in a dour, wet weather slog up at Under 18 level than Walker. The 2026 Carlton father-son and Richmond NGA prospect took some time to find his feet but covered the damp ground typically well and was able to connect the lines with his ball use. He proved strong in tackles and while it was difficult to gain metres by driving his legs into space, the effort to do so was there.
Was named in their best too

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rookie Me Central weite up.

52 Cody Walker

Stats:

They have to put the "Richmond NGA prospect" bit in for a bit of click bait. ;):p

Looks like we've told the campo brothers to shut up shop for the year. Neither has played at any level in over a month.

They've plummeted down draft rankings since they've stopped playing so it seems like has been a pretty clever move. Out of sight, out of mind. It might have bought us an extra pick in the second round.

Has anyone seen our academy eligible player from Oakleigh Mingarra Clark play? He’s in the same team as ISON, not sure if he’s a regular or not,
Bit light, but looks like a reasonable prospect. Only one r in his first name though.

Lucas Camporeale 20 and 2 goals in minor premier Glenelg’s shock second semi loss. Brother Ben did not play due to minor hamstring strain, perhaps the difference.

Someone a bit more tech savvy than I should link Checkside Chats a SANFL podcast with the lads a couple of days ago. Good listen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Official Club Stuff Carlton Academy - Next Gen & Father/Son/Daughter Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back