Official Club Stuff Carlton Academy - Next Gen & Father/Son/Daughter Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Drag 2027 forward

Think we just need to use 2 1st over 4 years

Yep, we'll use a first rounder this year, and then matching a bid for Cody will count as using a first in 2026 irrespective of what picks we use to do it (by matching the bid, we sacrifice those later picks and gain the pick used to take Cody). Means we could get through 2027 as well without using a first rounder if that's what it takes, and it's not until 2028 that we might find ourselves forced into using a first rounder in the draft.

2024 - take a kid with Pick 11.
2025 - trade first rounder for quality player (or bring it forward to 2024)
2026 - match bid for Cody Walker inside the first round
2027 - first rounder already traded into 2026 to cover Walker

It might even cover us til 2029...seem to remember there being a bit of uncertainty around whether the draft year you're entering counts in the rolling 4 year block. Ie. does only using 1 first rounder in 2025/26/27 mean we have to use one in 2028? Or does it mean if we don't use one in 2028 then we're prevented from trading out of the 2029 first round?

These academy picks & F/S picks are coinciding really well with Tasmania coming in.

Means our recent higher rated recruits will be attached to the club more than a normal draft pick. Understand Academy picks might not be as locked in as a F/S to a club emotionally, but the relationships developed will count. Should allow us to be somewhat protected from the looting Tassie will be doing.

We will have an influx of young talent coming in right when the league is about to be bereft of it - 1 club aside. Hopefully we can be the Hawthorn of the GWS/Suns era in that our run coincides with everyone else not being able to build a list properly for a few years.

No, no matter where he is rated as we can drag a 1st rounder from 2026
That is one if the more flippant statements I have seen on here. If we win the 2026 flag and Cody is bid on at say pick 2, the way it is being suggested, pick 18 will not cover it.

We may need more than our ‘26 first to match Cody. 2026 first is absolutely off the table. There is still discussion of having to match picks within say 10 places, which will require more than a first. While father -sons don’t get bid on at pick 1, that possibility becomes real.

Surely we have learned not to trust the future actions of the AFL…

That is one if the more flippant statements I have seen on here. If we win the 2026 flag and Cody is bid on at say pick 2, the way it is being suggested, pick 18 will not cover it.

We may need more than our ‘26 first to match Cody. 2026 first is absolutely off the table. There is still discussion of having to match picks within say 10 places, which will require more than a first. While father -sons don’t get bid on at pick 1, that possibility becomes real.

It's not that alarming, we'll secure him no problems.

I’m still trying to decide if the statement “if we win the 2026 flag” is more flippant,

🤣🤣🤣

I understand it may seem flippant, but until we know the point system and or future trading, none of us know the details

I'm sure, that we will find a way though

I understand it may seem flippant, but until we know the point system and or future trading, none of us know the details

I'm sure, that we will find a way though

From what I read if they remove the discount, we can probably bumdle several 3rd round picks and match picks like daicos... but we can worry about that when they finally reform the system. Regardless a F/S will always end up the club do the nominated club anyways.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, we'll use a first rounder this year, and then matching a bid for Cody will count as using a first in 2026 irrespective of what picks we use to do it (by matching the bid, we sacrifice those later picks and gain the pick used to take Cody). Means we could get through 2027 as well without using a first rounder if that's what it takes, and it's not until 2028 that we might find ourselves forced into using a first rounder in the draft.

2024 - take a kid with Pick 11.
2025 - trade first rounder for quality player (or bring it forward to 2024)
2026 - match bid for Cody Walker inside the first round
2027 - first rounder already traded into 2026 to cover Walker

It might even cover us til 2029...seem to remember there being a bit of uncertainty around whether the draft year you're entering counts in the rolling 4 year block. Ie. does only using 1 first rounder in 2025/26/27 mean we have to use one in 2028? Or does it mean if we don't use one in 2028 then we're prevented from trading out of the 2029 first round?

Much simpler than that. We have Cook as President.

At Geelong, he managed to get special dispensation from the AFL to select 1 first rounder in about 28 years. Pretty sure....

Jeez that quite a lot of picks to match Cody if he goes top 3. Brisbane getting lucky nabbing both Ashcroft boys before this hit.

View attachment 2112479
Say Ashcroft and Cody both go pick 2.

Brisbane will pay 2015 points (2517 - 20%) this year.
Carlton will pay 2233 points (2481 - 10%) in 2026.

It's the equivalent of paying an extra pick at around pick 41.

If we trade out of round 1, we'll need 3-4 second round picks to make up the points. There's then the added complexity of the Tassie team entering the competition in 2028, making the 2026 the last uncompromised draft for a few years. I'm guessing that will make securing picks extra difficult. I think we'll keep our first round pick, and use it as part payment for Cody. We may well trade it down for extra points, but I can't see us trading it out completely.

Say Ashcroft and Cody both go pick 2.

Brisbane will pay 2015 points (2517 - 20%) this year.
Carlton will pay 2233 points (2481 - 10%) in 2026.

It's the equivalent of paying an extra pick at around pick 41.

If we trade out of round 1, we'll need 3-4 second round picks to make up the points. There's then the added complexity of the Tassie team entering the competition in 2028, making the 2026 the last uncompromised draft for a few years. I'm guessing that will make securing picks extra difficult. I think we'll keep our first round pick, and use it as part payment for Cody. We may well trade it down for extra points, but I can't see us trading it out completely.

This equivalence doesn't really work considering points will be much harder to come by under the new system. Even if we had to pay 2015 points (like Brisbane this year) the price for Cody will still be much higher as the points curve has changed to further value higher picks, meaning we can't bundle together a bunch of R3s to make it happen. We will have to use legitimately valuable picks like 1st and 2nd rounders.

We get stooged on the timing, but it’s much fairer. Should have been changed a long time ago, but they would always need to give 13-14 months notice.
Fair? The first two picks can't even be addressed with the next pick alone, and pick 3 is paid for by pick 4...

Then, everytime you take the same approach, it gives you a pick between 50-54, all the way down until they stop giving you points back after pick 36.

The entire points system is now engineered to try and cash you out of the first 2 rounds of the draft. If we're a finals team, we're going to have to trade just to pay for Cody, a player who we have helped cultivate the future for before he was even born.

Where's the discount???

Remove this Banner Ad

Official Club Stuff Carlton Academy - Next Gen & Father/Son/Daughter Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back