Official Club Stuff Carlton Academy - Next Gen & Father/Son/Daughter Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

With the amount of multicultural ethnicity in our zone in the northern suburbs it’s beyond ridiculous we’ve found no one yet of real value, that’s a massive fail on the club.
No two ways about it.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Got a few coming through next year but agree, wild that it's taken this long and shows how little the club valued this pathway previously

Or, we are in a league with 17 other teams and if there was a ranking of the academies and the academy pathways, we would sit somewhere on that list, where we would sit would change from poster poster, but as we haven’t had a draftee from the academy I wouldn’t be confident we are at the top.

But if you’re interested, google the Danniher squad and the Hird squad which are the Essendon NGA feeder squad for juniors and then for U/18s and look at how its presented, communicated and integrated in to the football clubs website.

Within 2 minutes i was able to look up on the * website every NGA player eligible and F/S eligible for the next 2 years, i was able to see who is the coach of the Danniher squad and read what his role is in the program.

Then go and type Peter Dean academy in to google and you find, crap, nothing on our website, no names of eligible players, its like it doesnt exist, you type the Adam Saad squad which another poster raised as the equivalent of the Danniher squad, but that just takes you to an instagram page of community engagement, doesnt mention our NGA anywhere or anything related to our club.

The Danniher academy runs for 9 weeks at the conclusion of the junior footy season, its filled with their father sons, NGAs and players who are trying out for Calder Cannons, the coach of this academy is employed by * and also by Calder, he is there to help transition the eligible players who might have a chance at AFL, in to the Calder squad. The Bombers and Calder work together.

Now I can’t find anything like this in relation to our club, no squads, no coaches, nothing on our website.

The club has long been criticised for not putting enough time and resources in to the academy and it shows when you try and find any information on the matter, you learn more from this site than you do from the club.
Yeah, but we are spending $100k-$150k a year in Ireland, so you know. Swings and roundabouts... or something like that.

With the amount of multicultural ethnicity in our zone in the northern suburbs it’s beyond ridiculous we’ve found no one yet of real value, that’s a massive fail on the club.
No two ways about it.

The problem is that the pathway falls over when the boys get to a certain age. The really good ones get distracted by life and other 'issues' in their lives and it nearly always hits when they turn 16...

A lead talent recruiter that I have some dealings with told me that some testing was done at a juvenile detention center earlier this year, it was the 20m sprint test. Anyone close to 3 sec is elite and will be looked at seriously. If I told you 3 boys ran under 2.9 would you believe me???? These boys don't have laces in their runners and have less than 5 meters to stop at the end!

No one wants to talk about this as it reflects poorly on the junior development pathways!

But why have there been dozens of players drafted from the other VIC team's academies but not ours?
This could be a very simple explanation, our zone has one of the best football schools in the state, their football team is predominantly Knights and Calder players, I’ve been told they don’t offer scholarships like the other private schools in the south east.

But the lack of information on our site compared to * makes me think we don’t have a good set up.

We had a NGA eligible player at this school who the Knights were trying hard to convince to play but he has left for a Basketball scholarship in the US.

We need to have a partnership with the Knights to ensure that eligible players are getting an opportunity

No two ways about it.

Kind of agree and disagree.

1. I agree that it is pretty disapointing that we haven't recruited any NGA talent considering we had that zone for awhile.
2. Even there is a big multicultural ethicnicity in the northern zone (taking your word on this), I found out families have different priorities than focusing sport coming from ethnic background myself depending if they are 1st/2nd generation. Usually takes the 2nd/3rd generation before they take interest in sports.

Also most kids rather play fortnite and make tik tok videos.

The problem is that the pathway falls over when the boys get to a certain age. The really good ones get distracted by life and other 'issues' in their lives and it nearly always hits when they turn 16...

A lead talent recruiter that I have some dealings with told me that some testing was done at a juvenile detention center earlier this year, it was the 20m sprint test. Anyone close to 3 sec is elite and will be looked at seriously. If I told you 3 boys ran under 2.9 would you believe me???? These boys don't have laces in their runners and have less than 5 meters to stop at the end!

No one wants to talk about this as it reflects poorly on the junior development pathways!
Got told about one kid in our nga who was a former players (not us and not a nice bloke) son who was hugely talented. Mum desperately tried to keep him on the straight and narrow, dad very poor role model. At about 15 lost his way.

Yeah man! I believe you 100%

Without going into too much detail, my best friend was a pretty rough kid and was so unbelievably talented but never got a look in. He looked like a real scumbag, but he was and still is the nicest, most gentle and sincere guy I know. Really intelligent, is an engineer, has a great life etc.

But because of how he looked, and because he was late to TAC Cup footy he never got a look in

I am confident he'd have played plenty of senior footy if he did get a chance, he would've ran the fastest 3km at the combine that year (he had already ran faster on grass) and would've been top ten in the sprint. Goalkicking midfielder/winger/half back who was really good at overhead marking. Played a lot like Rozee, not super clean by foot but found the ball often and made good choices with it.

Hopefully things change, clubs should back themselves in to help out kids from non-traditional backgrounds if the talent is there

Remove this Banner Ad

Official Club Stuff Carlton Academy - Next Gen & Father/Son/Daughter Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back