Carlton Exposed

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 30, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
I thought the margin flattered them in the end tbh. I was hoping they could put a dent in Collingwood and eek out a win.

They were once again carried by Judd and a few of their top 6.

Garlett's great game made it even more embarrassing for Eddie Betts. Eddie looked to be going at half pace, fumbled consistently and packed his dacks on more than one occassion.

Not sure what Eddie is like in other pressure games but from memory he tends to crumble?

Yarran crumbled under pressure a few times also but he's got time to iron that out. Don't know why the commentators keep on harping about Yarran when he's yet to play one really good game at AFL and hasn't even strung together a few good games!

Jarrad Waite is still a seriously dumb footballer. Does 1 or 2 good things but makes so many mistakes you want to pull your hair out. You can't rely on him as your forward as you'll never get a consistent 4 quarter effort.

The bottom 6 got exposed by the Collingwood machine. That guy Duigan looked so far out of his depth it was like watching a suburban footballer given a charity game at AFL level.

Carlton defence looks solid enough with Jamison and Bower to come back. Ruck stocks look good too.

I think what it showed last night is how far Carlton are away from Collingwood and they are not a team that can challenge. I walked away thinking Carlton aren't even a top 4 side.

most honest carlton supporters would see us as a 5-6 side. Didnt think we played that well last night but matched the pies at times. Certainly dont have the depth of the pies, but not many sides do.

Hopefully get bower and henderson back next week. Need another tall defender so watson can be 3rd tall then which should be easier for him. We lacked a marking FF last night and hendo should be that guy. Waite was good at times and bad at others but that happens. As matthews said on tv, he has the ability to be AA but not the consistency.

Eddie has been bad in all 3 games and needs to lift. Yarran was pretty good last night and is working into his new role. Think you are being harsh on him.

Really? I thought Carlton were quite good, their tackling and pressure was first rate and really forced some errors. If you watched the 2 games last year Collingwood basically walked all over Carlton and scored at will, it was much different this time around, players had to work pretty hard for scoring opportunities and their midfield was right on top at some points.

I walked away thinking Carlton are a real shot for top 4 this year.

I think Carlton are a team on the rise and at full strength could be top 4. Last night the positive was Garlett and Curnow but the negatives were Gibbs and Murphy underperforming against a top midfield leaving too much pressure on Judd. Walker was absolutely pathetic and it was one of the softest performance I've seen, which hurts because he has a lot of talent but no hunger.

On Watson he's very talented but seemed very slow. He's never gonna be a monster key back and he's a good spoler but Cloke and Dawes were both quicker last night and they both have about 20 kgs on him. He will get quicker as he does a couple of pre-seasons but I think his role at least for the next few seasons will have to be as a third tall that tries to get off his man and set up from half back.

We just had a crap game plan. Too much farting about in the back half which played right into the Pies hands. Too expose the Pies you need rapid ball movement, preferably by foot. Move it quickly out of the back and bang it long into the forward 50 to a one on one. When ever we did that it more often than not resulted in a score, however we did it far too infrequently.

Gotta agree with Zahki on this one.

Put Kruezer in at CHF, with either Henderson or Hampson in the goalsquare, and have Waite as the floating forward and the side looks a whole lot better. Far more flexibility and potency. Probably too late for Waite to curb his stupidity though. A few pre-seasons as a defender may have changed the blokes' outlook, not to mention the team's win-loss ratio.

Speaking of their defence, Armfield should be a lock. The Blues lack a second key backman to support Jamison. It's their biggest deficiency (Bower, I have my doubts about).

Waite played his best footy as a defender, so not sure what you are talking about. Always has been a bit of a dumb footballer, but given he was our main target I am ok with him flying as much as he did, given he actually dragged down quite a few contested balls

That's pretty much what his career is. A very Paganesque recruit.

Not true. Pagan picked up hacks from other AFL clubs. Ratten selected a SANFL player who is fumbly but still better than others on AFL lists

On Watson he's very talented but seemed very slow. He's never gonna be a monster key back and he's a good spoler but Cloke and Dawes were both quicker last night and they both have about 20 kgs on him. He will get quicker as he does a couple of pre-seasons but I think his role at least for the next few seasons will have to be as a third tall that tries to get off his man and set up from half back.

A third tall? :confused:

Watson's is huge for a first year KPD. He was drafted at over 100kgs and while he might have lost a few (was carrying a bit of fat), Cloke and Dawes would be lucky to have 10kgs on him, let alone 20.

A touch on the slow side perhaps but as you that will improve. He's already strong and will only get stronger - not going to be an easy boy to move about in a couple of seasons time.

The vast majority of 2nd game KPDs would have been destroyed last night. Watson's was beaten but wasn't embarrassed. Can hold his head high.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really? I thought Carlton were quite good, their tackling and pressure was first rate and really forced some errors. If you watched the 2 games last year Collingwood basically walked all over Carlton and scored at will, it was much different this time around, players had to work pretty hard for scoring opportunities and their midfield was right on top at some points.

I walked away thinking Carlton are a real shot for top 4 this year.

Agree. Thought there were times when we'd be blown away by the Pies - they're just so consistent across the board with their pressure, but to our credit we kept at it and apart from 20 minutes in the second, kept them from breaking open the game.

That guy Duigan looked so far out of his depth it was like watching a suburban footballer given a charity game at AFL level.

Calm down mate...
Duigan was good last night...Yes he fumbled a little and got found out on a couple of occassions...
But that being said it was his 3rd game of AFL football. Also his first time playing at the MCG, and his first time playing infront of 90k people!
Not to mention he was up against the best team in the comp who also apply the most pressure to their opponents.

A third tall? :confused:

Watson's is huge for a first year KPD. He was drafted at over 100kgs and while he might have lost a few (was carrying a bit of fat), Cloke and Dawes would be lucky to have 10kgs on him, let alone 20.

A touch on the slow side perhaps but as you that will improve. He's already strong and will only get stronger - not going to be an easy boy to move about in a couple of seasons time.

The vast majority of 2nd game KPDs would have been destroyed last night. Watson's was beaten but wasn't embarrassed. Can hold his head high.

Pretty funny isn't it. I've heard people writing him off as a footballer after last nights game. It's a learning curb and he will get beaten.

Not every young KP defender can come on the scene and do what Hurley did - start smashing the premier big men in the game from day 1.

We just had a crap game plan. Too much farting about in the back half which played right into the Pies hands. Too expose the Pies you need rapid ball movement, preferably by foot. Move it quickly out of the back and bang it long into the forward 50 to a one on one. When ever we did that it more often than not resulted in a score, however we did it far too infrequently.

Ratten is a hack. No doubt. Hope the Blues keep him.

Man, that Watson has a gigantic head on him, does he have any Ebert in him? It's a whopper

Pretty funny isn't it. I've heard people writing him off as a footballer after last nights game. It's a learning curb and he will get beaten.

Not every young KP defender can come on the scene and do what Hurley did - start smashing the premier big men in the game from day 1.

Nothing irritates me more than people judging young players too harshly too early. Not sure if that second comment is a pointed remark and I can't seeing him doing what Hurley did, but still reckon Watto will have a solid season. Very composed for a young player and few teams have forwards of the caliber of Dawes and Cloke.

Thought they were quite impressive. The one thing I'd say has been holding them back is playing too many not so smart footballers like Armfield, Robinson but Robinson's suicidal endeavour and athletic abilities were on full show last night and smarter players with more composure like Watson are making a difference already. Yarran still lacks composure but he will settle eventually and obviously he has talent to burn. Garlett is becoming top shelf.
Scotland is severely underrated IMO. Parkin always lists him as a B grader, what the hell does he have to do to be A grade? Smart user, dual sided, knows where to go to find it. Fantastic player. Still better than Gibbs at this stage.
Imagine how much better they would be with Fev? Seeing him in the stands last night thought if he manages to stay sober and fit they could pick him up for peanuts at the end of the year for a tilt in 2012.

I thought the margin flattered them in the end tbh. I was hoping they could put a dent in Collingwood and eek out a win.

They were once again carried by Judd and a few of their top 6.

Garlett's great game made it even more embarrassing for Eddie Betts. Eddie looked to be going at half pace, fumbled consistently and packed his dacks on more than one occassion.

Not sure what Eddie is like in other pressure games but from memory he tends to crumble?

Yarran crumbled under pressure a few times also but he's got time to iron that out. Don't know why the commentators keep on harping about Yarran when he's yet to play one really good game at AFL and hasn't even strung together a few good games!

Jarrad Waite is still a seriously dumb footballer. Does 1 or 2 good things but makes so many mistakes you want to pull your hair out. You can't rely on him as your forward as you'll never get a consistent 4 quarter effort.

The bottom 6 got exposed by the Collingwood machine. That guy Duigan looked so far out of his depth it was like watching a suburban footballer given a charity game at AFL level.

Carlton defence looks solid enough with Jamison and Bower to come back. Ruck stocks look good too.

I think what it showed last night is how far Carlton are away from Collingwood and they are not a team that can challenge. I walked away thinking Carlton aren't even a top 4 side.

Nice troll ...It's a shame we get moronic threads like this on the main board ...Carlton played the best side in the comp and held their own for most of the game.
I'm tipping a lot of other teams will get beaten by Collingwood this year including your superstar outfit that are taking the comp by storm under Hird . :eek:

You are a bit out of your depth when talking football.

Thought we went well last night. Midfield battle was about even, forwards didn't do too bad, only thing that let us down was our defense, lack of tall defenders and really needed Armfield in there as an extra runner out of our back 50.

I wouldn't say we were 'exposed', we went in as underdogs, expected to be beaten by 3-4 goals and thats how the game panned out. Only positives to come from here IMO though we'd like to beat Essendon & Adelaide to prove our worth.

Personally i feel like Carlton are on track to finish somewhere around 4-6 which based on expectations is perfectly fine. Their structures will improve once they get all their key position players back.

Yarran and Watson set up a lot of play from the back half and although they conceded some goals I still thought they put in pretty good performances. In particular Watson as a first year KPD, i think they've found a good player.

Garlett just seems like an exceptionally dangerous player and even though he didn't have one of his best games still managed 3 goals and nearly 20 touches. Betts is capable of much better than what he showed last night, and although Garlett is better he's still a more than handy small forward.

Carlton's top 4 or 5 midfielders competed well on the whole, they probably need a few more players to add depth to match collingwood in the midfield rotations but at the top end the difference isn't huge.

Warnock is looking good. Not sure that any of their other rucks are really suited to playing up forward half the time and only partially in the ruck but their ruckman are still young and developing.

So overall a lot to like about Carlton, i see next year as the year that they will really 'challenge' although they may end up finishing top 4 this year anyway because the competition at the top end doesn't seem particularly high aside from Collingwood.

I thought Carlton exposed Collingwood in the first quarter. Centre clearances are crucial and it proved no matter who's backline it is, if you get it in there quickly enough and produce one on one contests, Collingwood struggles just like every other club.

Well done to the Blues.

OP pre-emptively trying to detract from a solid Carlton game against the premiers in preperation for Essendon-Carlton next week?

Our pressure was excellent tonight and I think a lesser side would of crumbled and our finishers in Murphy and Gibbs would of picked up a lot more touches. They need to work harder when under pressure, Gibbs has an excuse given that he tagged Pendlebury, but Murphy should of been in there more

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton Exposed

Remove this Banner Ad

Back