Carlton Fans & Josh Kennedy

Remove this Banner Ad

uncojo

Rookie
Oct 5, 2004
AFL Club
West Coast
Can you please stop referring to him as a guy who was pick 4 two years ago so he should be worth something. Once a player gets into the AFL his draft position means absolutely nothing and on field performance is a players only form worth. Going by this theory Luke Livingstone, Andrew McDougall etc are all better than Dean Cox since they were top 5 picks and Cox was a just a left over who got onto a rookie list!!! This also goes for those saying that due to Chris Judd being drafted as pick 3 back in 2001 then pick 3 is adequate compensation for him now.

Please watch some football and get a bit of understanding of the situation!

He averaged approx 7 disposals per game, and even less marks. His potential must be HUGE:thumbsu: Reminds me of Saddington, that hack we sent to Carlton, but Sadds is better!

I mean stats aside at this stage I wouldn't have thought he would have as much trade value as a lot of people are making out and thats the main point here.

I mean stats aside at this stage I wouldn't have thought he would have as much trade value as a lot of people are making out and thats the main point here.

exactly!

wonder where all those carlton supporters who are saying - pick 3 + kennedy or pick 20 + kennedy - is a good trade are at :rolleyes:

Kennedy is a genuine talent who has been extremely poorly coached over the past few years by an inept ******** in Denis Pagan. People forget this, and they forget he was drafted less than two years ago, so to expect world beating performances is absurd. He has shown enough to suggest he will be a stable centre half forward for the next decade.

As others have said- he will do all the tough stuff- crash packs, bring the ball to ground (thats if he doesnt mark it himself- outstanding overhead), tackling, one-percenters, always willing to put his body on the line. In a team that directs most of its forward entries at one man, Kennedy has really only ever been a decoy forward, which is unfair as people get a negative perception from that. When he has been given the chance as a focal point he has been pretty good.

If West Coast dont want him, fine, we will keep him. I for one am perfectly happy to keep him- I like the guy, think he has huge potential that is being wasted in a team with a one dimensional forward line. Would hate to see him in another jumper, but if that is what it take to get a player like Judd, purely because of his value to the team position wise isnt something we desperately need, so be it. That said, hopefully with Ratten he will be given the chances he never was under that toolshed Pagan.

Keenedy is a genuine talent who has been extremely poorly coached over the past few years by an inept ******** in Denis Pagan. People forget this, and they forget he was drafted less than two years ago, so to expect world beating performances is absurd. He has shown enough to suggest he will be a stable centre half forward for the next decade.

As others have said- he will do all the tough stuff- crash packs, bring the ball to ground (thats if he doesnt mark it himself- outstanding overhead), tackling, one-percenters, always willing to put his body on the line. In a team that directs most of its forward entries at one man, Kennedy has really only ever been a decoy forward, which is unfair as people get a negative perception from that. When he has been given the chance as a focal point he has been pretty good.

If West Coast dont want him, fine, we will keep him. I for one am perfectly happy to keep him- I like the guy, think he has huge potential that is being wasted in a team with a one dimensional forward line. Would hate to see him in another jumper, but if that is what it take to get a player like Judd, purely because of his value to the team position wise isnt something we desperately need, so be it. That said, hopefully with Ratten he will be given the chances he never was under that toolshed Pagan.

Sounds like West Coast are interested in him.

"We are interested in Josh. He's the poor player that has been bandied around and he signed a new contract earlier this year and he may not necessarily want to come home.
"He is a West Australian boy and a good young player."

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,22544580-11088,00.html

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Understanding is a two way street. Thinking that a 20 year old key position player has to have torn apart a game or two at the top level by now displays a lack of understanding. When you factor in the position of his team, his injury interrupted beginning, the presence of a gun full forward and actual time on the ground, you begin to understand it is not that clear cut.

What you will see with Kennedy is a contest every time in the air or on the ground so he will do the work to get himself into the game when the ball is not being kicked to him. Once his teammates start looking for him instead of following a game plan for the majority of the season where they bomb it long to the one target, you will see his confidence grow. He has already shown himself to be a pack buster at Under 18 and VFL level.

Most of you would have traded away Roughead for hardly anything by now.

He's certainly no Travis Cloke, who has not even turned 20.
Have a look around at some other young KPP players and how they started out. Also take into account the side he has been playing in. No way Cloke has been starved of game time like Kennedy so you can pander to a dominant full forward. Rocca just doesn't fit the bill there.

So many times I just wanted them to leave Kennedy on and look for him. The only times the ball went to him, it was a bomb into a pack of 6 with Fevola right in the middle of it. Little wonder Kennedy wasn't shining. We should have been looking for him on the lead a lot more than we were but it simply wasn't the game plan.

Have a look around at some other young KPP players and how they started out. Also take into account the side he has been playing in. No way Cloke has been starved of game time like Kennedy so you can pander to a dominant full forward. Rocca just doesn't fit the bill there.

So many times I just wanted them to leave Kennedy on and look for him. The only times the ball went to him, it was a bomb into a pack of 6 with Fevola right in the middle of it. Little wonder Kennedy wasn't shining. We should have been looking for him on the lead a lot more than we were but it simply wasn't the game plan.

agree 100%. Unlike a lot of other supporters I'll be very disappointed if we lose Josh. I know we've gotta do what we've gotta do to get Judd, but I reckon this guy will explode in the next couple of years. The trade of 3 + JK, if that's what happens could be a true win/win and I think Eagles fans will be pleasantly surprised in years to come.

Can you please stop referring to him as a guy who was pick 4 two years ago so he should be worth something.
he's worth more than pick 4 because he is a pick 4 with 2 years development in him.

Can you please stop referring to him as a guy who was pick 4 two years ago so he should be worth something. Once a player gets into the AFL his draft position means absolutely nothing and on field performance is a players only form worth. Going by this theory Luke Livingstone, Andrew McDougall etc are all better than Dean Cox since they were top 5 picks and Cox was a just a left over who got onto a rookie list!!! This also goes for those saying that due to Chris Judd being drafted as pick 3 back in 2001 then pick 3 is adequate compensation for him now.

It is his only claim to fame

I think he's less expendible than Brad Fisher personally.

I really don't care if people on Bigfooty rubbish him. The Eagles have paid recruiters who would recognise all the talent he possesses. The opinions of brainless ferals mean nothing to me.

You're right, I bow to your footballness!

That Hansen and Gumbleton pair from last year, what a joke! Picks 2 & 3 in the Superdraft!!! Ha ha. Not even the 2 of them for pick 20 now!!

Leuenberger - what did he play 4 games? Ha ha....low stats too. No good.

And Travis Cloke, this time last year, not worth a pinch of piss and hes the same age as Kennedy, and hasnt missed both of his preseasons! Ha ha..

hang on.............

If it's not 3 and Kennedy, it's 3 & 20.

I will do backflips in Bourke Street naked if its 3 & 20 I will be so happy!

JK will be a gun by 2009.

Anyway to the sore losers --- sour grapes!

He's certainly no Travis Cloke, who has not even turned 20.

cloke turned 20 earlier in the year. As a comparison between cloke and kennedy though kennedy is about 6 months younger than cloke. More importantly however is the number of preseasons each player has completed

Cloke - been on an AFL list for 3 seasons and has completed 3 preseasons (unless the shoulder at end of 06 was a total reconstruction)

kennedy - been on an AFL list for 2 seasons and has completed only 1 preseason (missed the first due to shoulder surgery which would have prevented any weights programs). An extra couple preseasons of weights programs will make a massive difference to how kennedy can compete.

Also a comparison of the stats between both players for their 2nd season on an AFL list
cloke - 15 games, 146disposals, 79 marks, 6 goals 12 behinds, 18 ho, 17 tackles
kennedy - 13 games, 97 disposals, 50 marks, 6 goals, 5 behinds, 40ho, 27 tackles

so basically cloke had more possessions/game, they had a similar % of possessions from marks (approx 50%), same number of goals kicked (cloke had 7 more shots, lower accuracy), kennedy had twice the number hitouts, and 1.5 times more tackles.

Without going into time on game and the actual roles of each player within the team the stats would suggest a similar level of output at year 2 for both players (despite kennedy having 1 less preseason to bulk up)

cloke turned 20 earlier in the year. As a comparison between cloke and kennedy though kennedy is about 6 months younger than cloke. More importantly however is the number of preseasons each player has completed

Cloke - been on an AFL list for 3 seasons and has completed 3 preseasons (unless the shoulder at end of 06 was a total reconstruction)

kennedy - been on an AFL list for 2 seasons and has completed only 1 preseason (missed the first due to shoulder surgery which would have prevented any weights programs). An extra couple preseasons of weights programs will make a massive difference to how kennedy can compete.

Also a comparison of the stats between both players for their 2nd season on an AFL list
cloke - 15 games, 146disposals, 79 marks, 6 goals 12 behinds, 18 ho, 17 tackles
kennedy - 13 games, 97 disposals, 50 marks, 6 goals, 5 behinds, 40ho, 27 tackles

so basically cloke had more possessions/game, they had a similar % of possessions from marks (approx 50%), same number of goals kicked (cloke had 7 more shots, lower accuracy), kennedy had twice the number hitouts, and 1.5 times more tackles.

Without going into time on game and the actual roles of each player within the team the stats would suggest a similar level of output at year 2 for both players (despite kennedy having 1 less preseason to bulk up)

Kennedy doesn't have the impact Cloke does. Simple.

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton Fans & Josh Kennedy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back