Remove this Banner Ad

tubes

Debutant
Apr 25, 2007
Tas
AFL Club
Carlton
G'day,

Was just up at my parents place on the weekend, watched the blue boys cop a good win. Good to see Tex slamming away some great footy.

Whilst cleaning out my old bedroom I came across some old footy cards from the 1996 season. It was pretty hilarious to see some of my old favs draped in the Navy Blue. Peter Dean, Mil Hanna, Kouta and Ang, etc.

But deep in the cupboard I found an old OLD footy card album form 1933, Soapy, Alex(I thought it was Alec) Duncan, Jack Hale to name a few. There were about 90 cards in total including Haydn Bunton, the Coventry's from Collingwood too.

Does anyone have any idea what they'd be worth? I'm not keen on selling them, but would possibly look at donating the Carlton ones to the club (Carlton) and burning the others :D. Only kidding.

Cheers,

Tubes.

i know that this is off topic, but my girlfriends uncle showed me some letters that his father (may have been another relo) was sent many years ago by afl clubs requesting him to play for them. there were a number of interested clubs, and it was amazing to see the intricate letter heads. when i was holding them i felt like i was in the 1930s.

IIRC, he played in a premiership so i looked at the 1933 premiership team, and the name that stood out was bob pratt, however, maybe its just because i have heard his name numerous times because he was such a good footballer.

G'day,

Was just up at my parents place on the weekend, watched the blue boys cop a good win. Good to see Tex slamming away some great footy.

Whilst cleaning out my old bedroom I came across some old footy cards from the 1996 season. It was pretty hilarious to see some of my old favs draped in the Navy Blue. Peter Dean, Mil Hanna, Kouta and Ang, etc.

But deep in the cupboard I found an old OLD footy card album form 1933, Soapy, Alex(I thought it was Alec) Duncan, Jack Hale to name a few. There were about 90 cards in total including Haydn Bunton, the Coventry's from Collingwood too.

Does anyone have any idea what they'd be worth? I'm not keen on selling them, but would possibly look at donating the Carlton ones to the club (Carlton) and burning the others :D. Only kidding.

Cheers,

Tubes.

I dont think those cigarette cards are worth much at all - the 1933 series were produced in massive numbers and were the easier of all cigarette cards to collect.

I stopped collecting a few years ago so i am not up to speed on prices - possibly contact Rick Milne who is gives valuations on this sort of stuff. His details are in each week of the footy record as well i think in the Sunday Herald-Sun.

I still have my collection but only update the basic common cards.

I know Ian Collins for a while was buying the Carlton footy cards every year when Carlton finally build a mueseum dedicated to the Blues. Now that they have started a group of people to begin this process, you may want to contact the club or mail it to them.

I stopped collecting a few years ago so i am not up to speed on prices - possibly contact Rick Milne who is gives valuations on this sort of stuff. His details are in each week of the footy record as well i think in the Sunday Herald-Sun.

Think he's in the Age on the weekends, not the Herald sun...

I lost some beauties in the fires I am afraid - not that I looked at them much really. My favourites were the big Mobil service station cards. Got them as a kid - they came out in the 60's and looked brilliant - about A5 size, colourful glossy close ups. One series were action poses and the next year portrait poses. Not hard to date them as in the first series Barassi was in Melbourne kit while the next series he was one of us.

About a decade a go I can remember going to a collectors (cards etc.) gathering - I think it was at the Malvern Town Hall and it was like a once a month market they held. No doubt there is still such gatherings somewhere. I include a couple of links that some may find interesting

http://www.aflfootycards.com/footy_card_sets.html

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~dgreen2/

The old footy cards i have the 1981 set and set from the 90s.Ha Ha i have a set with Bryce Gibbs old man Ross.

G'day,

Cheers,

Tubes.

Tubes,
Check if the other club players may have played for the Blues, (easy to do at Blueseum) then scan the Carlton related ones, and send them to Blueseum to add to the collection.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tubes,
Check if the other club players may have played for the Blues, (easy to do at Blueseum) then scan the Carlton related ones, and send them to Blueseum to add to the collection.

I do a bit of work on the Blueseum and may end up scanning my collection into Blueseum later this year, and do it year by year. But i need to talk to a couple of the administrators before i go ahead with this. There are quite a few cards already scanned onto the site, but none in a central location.

I'm a collector of the Soapy Vallence cards as we are related. I paid a couple of US dollars for the 1933 card, but have also paid over $50 for a couple of the rarer ones.

G'day,

Cheers,

Tubes.

Burnie is one massive treasure trove.

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton Footy Cards

Remove this Banner Ad

Back