Media Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc) - Part IV

Our club in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Gary & Tim just now saying they both thought Vossy for coach of the year (h/a) because of the turnaRound.
They had Fly and bloody Ross and Fly and Kingsley as their 2nd and 3rd.

I've a question, Christian.

You're 50 metres away. How the * would you know if Caleb Marchbank touched that ball?
The whole segment on AFL360 last night was rather pathetic. Whately is fixated on it. Only one person knows with any level of certainty whether the ball was touched, and that was Marchbank. The umpire was a metre away and said 'touched'. The video evidence could not overturn (or confirm) that. Maybe he got it right, maybe he got it wrong. But it's a far cry from the Adelaide/Swans issue, which was absolutely conclusive.

The whole segment on AFL360 last night was rather pathetic. Whately is fixated on it. Only one person knows with any level of certainty whether the ball was touched, and that was Marchbank. The umpire was a metre away and said 'touched'. The video evidence could not overturn (or confirm) that. Maybe he got it right, maybe he got it wrong. But it's a far cry from the Adelaide/Swans issue, which was absolutely conclusive.
Basically Melbourne trying to make themselves feel better that they got the morale victory. They can go into the GF against us and think to themselves that they've already beat us twice this year.

I've a question, Christian.

You're 50 metres away. How the * would you know if Caleb Marchbank touched that ball?
Razor was on SEN doing his weekly segment this morning, and of course the topic came up of the video review system. Him and Whately were discussing how far you go back to determine if the score should be allowed - comparing it to the review system in the NRL.

Interesting that Razor basically acknowledged that in this case, there should have been the free kick paid against Van Rooyen for taking Marchy out of the play illegally in the goal square. So the goal umpire's decision could have been overturned despite an incorrect field umpiring decision.

Razor was on SEN doing his weekly segment this morning, and of course the topic came up of the video review system. Him and Whately were discussing how far you go back to determine if the score should be allowed - comparing it to the review system in the NRL.

Interesting that Razor basically acknowledged that in this case, there should have been the free kick paid against Van Rooyen for taking Marchy out of the play illegally in the goal square. So the goal umpire's decision could have been overturned despite an incorrect field umpiring decision.

Was 100% a free kick to Marchbank.

It's a few pages back, but the McKay talk and some of the media statements being made etc. I think we/they really need to understand what's happened.

He's gone from being "The Man" in the forwardline, winning the Coleman and being the best inside 50 contested mark in the game to accepting his role that he's actually now the no.2 forward in his own forwardline. Of all the players they talk about playing a sacrificial role or accepting the team first mentality I don't think anyone has quite as much as H has.

I don't think he's our version of Grundy or whatever Buckley called him, I think he's seen just how dominant and freakish Charlie is that despite being a Coleman winner himself he's seen who's 50 this really is, and more importantly has been willing to accept his role inside that 50.

How many Coleman winners of the past would have accepted that change right when they're in the prime of their career? It's huge, and it shows just how committed he is it to winning, to the club and how selfless he is.

To the point about it upsetting team balance, remember the Saints & Melbourne games? Charlie has essentially 3 on him at every contest. While we won in those games, it isn't a sound long term gameplan to have your key forward get polaxed by 3 defenders every contest and rely solely on smalls. Also, fwiw, Charlie is small by key forward standards, so the much bigger H is essential to a long term structure.

Just on this, and this is a personal story that perhaps has no relevance, but in my cousins footy on the weekend an opposition player had seemingly kicked the match winning goal in the last minute or so of their finals game. However, the on-field umpire called a free kick on the goal line due to the defender being held. The ball bounced on the goal line while the defender had an arm being pulled back stopping them from being able to reach the ball.

It was 100% the correct call, but as happens just about every time in these cases for some reason all holding/blocking rules go out the window when it's a shot for goal so the fact it was called was a hugely brave decision given the context of the game.

If a teenager umpiring a game a local level has the balls to make the call in a finals game then surely professional umpires should be able to as well.

Just on this, and this is a personal story that perhaps has no relevance, but in my cousins footy on the weekend an opposition player had seemingly kicked the match winning goal in the last minute or so of their finals game. However, the on-field umpire called a free kick on the goal line due to the defender being held. The ball bounced on the goal line while the defender had an arm being pulled back stopping them from being able to reach the ball.

It was 100% the correct call, but as happens just about every time in these cases for some reason all holding/blocking rules go out the window when it's a shot for goal so the fact it was called was a hugely brave decision given the context of the game.

If a teenager umpiring a game a local level has the balls to make the call in a finals game then surely professional umpires should be able to as well.

The Marchy one was particularly blatant because the ball landed about a meter inside the field of play with Marchy only a couple of meters away when the ball was kicked. There is no chance Marchy wasn't getting to that ball unless illegally obstructed.

Gerard would have been fumbling for the dump button to cut that 7seconds. He will now have to remove it from his constant bleating about the decision that was handled perfectly within the current rules.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The more I’ve seen it, can’t believe how 4 umpires missed it… ball watching themselves..

Maybe ARC umpire saw it and thought how can I make a decision on this when it should t even be goal reviewed.
They well and truly put the whistle away in that game. Plenty of free kicks missed, for both sides. Good experience for our boys leading into finals I reckon.

It's a few pages back, but the McKay talk and some of the media statements being made etc. I think we/they really need to understand what's happened.

He's gone from being "The Man" in the forwardline, winning the Coleman and being the best inside 50 contested mark in the game to accepting his role that he's actually now the no.2 forward in his own forwardline. Of all the players they talk about playing a sacrificial role or accepting the team first mentality I don't think anyone has quite as much as H has.

I don't think he's our version of Grundy or whatever Buckley called him, I think he's seen just how dominant and freakish Charlie is that despite being a Coleman winner himself he's seen who's 50 this really is, and more importantly has been willing to accept his role inside that 50.

How many Coleman winners of the past would have accepted that change right when they're in the prime of their career? It's huge, and it shows just how committed he is it to winning, to the club and how selfless he is.

To the point about it upsetting team balance, remember the Saints & Melbourne games? Charlie has essentially 3 on him at every contest. While we won in those games, it isn't a sound long term gameplan to have your key forward get polaxed by 3 defenders every contest and rely solely on smalls. Also, fwiw, Charlie is small by key forward standards, so the much bigger H is essential to a long term structure.
Buckley as a coach never had the quality of a KPF like Charlie and Harry during his tenure, i find it quite humorous that he has questioned and scrutinised playing one of the best KPF’s in the game because it might negate the team from an extra mobile/running player, sure it’s his opinion and there were a couple of others in the media that mentioned the same thing, like Montagna who i do rate as one of the better media people…
Staggering opinions overall…

Big part of the reason the team turned their season around ..... selfless footy of the type Harry has been playing.

Being willing to accept and perform your role at the risk of less individual accolades/awards/recognition to really pursue what they all want (a premiership) cannot be understated here.

Afl360 had Eddie and Jordan Lewis talking about Charlie and his potential. The consensus is that he has the capacity to become carltons greatest forward of the modern era. Eddie talked about when Charlie used to come down to the club when Charlie was 14 or 15 and marvelling as to what he could do then.

Kingy and joey spoke about the scoring profiles of each team over the last 6 weeks. We are 1st at scoring from stoppages and 14th at scoring from turnovers. According to kingy it can win you games doing it that way but it's harder to sustain. To be fair there were no stand-up teams in both categories. In ladder order ;
Pies 14th (stop) 7th (t/o)
Lions 15 (stop) 4th (t/o)
Power 9th (stop) 15th (t/o)
Demons 2nd (stop) 8th (t/o)
Blues 1st (stop) 14th (t/o)
Saints 3rd (stop) 11th (t/o)
Swans 12th (stop) 2nd (t/o)
Giants 8th (stop) 1st (t/o)

A few things to unpack though. They don't mention that these figures dont take into account the quality of the opposition that you are playing. Swans have had a aoft draw in the last 6 weeks whilst we have played Port, Pies, dees, saints and sun's within ours whilst undermanned. It makes absolute sense that better opposition will turn the ball over less.

Also these figures don't take into account that the Essington turned up their toes against the giants who kicked about 20 goals on turnover last weekend which skews the figures incredibly.

It's easy to hide behind figures. It's a lot harder to interpret them correctly and understand the nuances that they are actually telling you.

Afl360 had Eddie and Jordan Lewis talking about Charlie and his potential. The consensus is that he has the capacity to become carltons greatest forward of the modern era. Eddie talked about when Charlie used to come down to the club when Charlie was 14 or 15 and marvelling as to what he could do then.

Kingy and joey spoke about the scoring profiles of each team over the last 6 weeks. We are 1st at scoring from stoppages and 14th at scoring from turnovers. According to kingy it can win you games doing it that way but it's harder to sustain. To be fair there were no stand-up teams in both categories. In ladder order ;
Pies 14th (stop) 7th (t/o)
Lions 15 (stop) 4th (t/o)
Power 9th (stop) 15th (t/o)
Demons 2nd (stop) 8th (t/o)
Blues 1st (stop) 14th (t/o)
Saints 3rd (stop) 11th (t/o)
Swans 12th (stop) 2nd (t/o)
Giants 8th (stop) 1st (t/o)

A few things to unpack though. They don't mention that these figures dont take into account the quality of the opposition that you are playing. Swans have had a aoft draw in the last 6 weeks whilst we have played Port, Pies, dees, saints and sun's within ours whilst undermanned. It makes absolute sense that better opposition will turn the ball over less.

Also these figures don't take into account that the Essington turned up their toes against the giants who kicked about 20 goals on turnover last weekend which skews the figures incredibly.

It's easy to hide behind figures. It's a lot harder to interpret them correctly and understand the nuances that they are actually telling you.
The Frizz B. Report.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back