Media Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc) - Part IV

Our club in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Afl360 had Eddie and Jordan Lewis talking about Charlie and his potential. The consensus is that he has the capacity to become carltons greatest forward of the modern era. Eddie talked about when Charlie used to come down to the club when Charlie was 14 or 15 and marvelling as to what he could do then.
Probably have to give props to Dermie & my son who both called it early.

My son was 17/18 when he went down to watch what was Charlie‘s first pre-season. I remember when he came home and told me “Dad, Ed Curnows brother is going to be special, he’s different, he runs across the ground differently to the other players. His feet don’t seem to hit the ground, he just moves better and faster than the other players. He looks like a stallion.

I think Dermie wrote an early article that said he believed Charlie Curnow will be the best player in the league. Was his second or so season, just prior to him losing two years to injury.

My son still believes that barring Charlie’s knee injuries he would have been a freak midfielder, would have been the second coming of Kouta in his prime.

Oh well, we’ll just have to accept him being the best player in the league as a forward now.

My son still believes that barring Charlie’s knee injuries he would have been a freak midfielder, would have been the second coming of Kouta in his prime.
Quite possibly true. If Charlie has any weakness now I think I've noticed when the ball hits the deck and he's moving in a straight line at a decent pace is he doesn't seem to be able to twist and turn like some, I.e not much of a turning circle.

That said he doesn't seem to struggle too much kicking goals at ground level from nothing so it's probably nowhere as bad as what I make it sound.

Quite possibly true. If Charlie has any weakness now I think I've noticed when the ball hits the deck and he's moving in a straight line at a decent pace is he doesn't seem to be able to twist and turn like some, I.e not much of a turning circle.

That said he doesn't seem to struggle too much kicking goals at ground level from nothing so it's probably nowhere as bad as what I make it sound.
Charlie is magnificent.
I guess it's inevitable we once again have a sole focus superstar for the media. Like we always used to.
I think that's just the way the media are.
But we are so much more than a one player reliant team now.
And as much as Charlie on fire is thrilling, what I love most it that we have entire team buy in.
It's so hard to achieve. I remember lamenting how Pies had it earlier this year, and we didn't. And how exciting they were to watch because of it.
And how cruel that Fly was getting all the accolades and the club living out a dream when it had looked like we would be that.
Well now we are that. 💙

Last edited:
Charlie is magnificent.
I guess it's inevitable we once again have a sole focus superstar foe rhe media. Like we always used to. I think that's just the way the media are. But we are so much more than a one player reliant team now. And as much as Charlie on fire is thrilling, what I love most it that we have entire team buy in.
It's so hard to achieve. I remember lamenting how Pies had it earlier this year, and we didn't. And how exciting they were to watch because of it.
And how cruel that Fly was getting all the accolades and the club living out a dream when it had looked like we would be that.
Well now we are that. 💙

And all it took was for Ed Curnow to invite everyone down to Torquay and threaten to out benchpress the entire list and send the embarrassing footage to YouTube, if they didn’t all buy in.

And all it took was for Ed Curnow to invite everyone down to Torquay and threaten to out benchpress the entire list and send the embarrassing footage to YouTube, if they didn’t all buy in.
The miracle at Camp Curnow.
Holy dam water available now.

1692921200254.jpeg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have written into the Herald Sun asking them to publish a correction...

... * losing by 126 points while when fighting for a spot in the finals was listed under dislikes.
I wrote to the herald sun along with a cut out copy of an Andrew Bolt article telling them that although I was appreciative of their free toilet paper offer I wasn't interested in taking up the offer.

Never heard back from them, so I stopped buying their piece of rubbish.

It's a few pages back, but the McKay talk and some of the media statements being made etc. I think we/they really need to understand what's happened.

He's gone from being "The Man" in the forwardline, winning the Coleman and being the best inside 50 contested mark in the game to accepting his role that he's actually now the no.2 forward in his own forwardline. Of all the players they talk about playing a sacrificial role or accepting the team first mentality I don't think anyone has quite as much as H has.

I don't think he's our version of Grundy or whatever Buckley called him, I think he's seen just how dominant and freakish Charlie is that despite being a Coleman winner himself he's seen who's 50 this really is, and more importantly has been willing to accept his role inside that 50.

How many Coleman winners of the past would have accepted that change right when they're in the prime of their career? It's huge, and it shows just how committed he is it to winning, to the club and how selfless he is.

To the point about it upsetting team balance, remember the Saints & Melbourne games? Charlie has essentially 3 on him at every contest. While we won in those games, it isn't a sound long term gameplan to have your key forward get polaxed by 3 defenders every contest and rely solely on smalls. Also, fwiw, Charlie is small by key forward standards, so the much bigger H is essential to a long term structure.

McKay's best games for us have been the ones where he has been roaming up to the wing, outlet marking everything in sight.

He's had a few games where he has taken 2-3 contested marks in the last few minutes of matches. Those moments were a big reason we won those mathes.

Those performances stick with me more than ones where he has kicked 4 or 5 goals as a stay-at-home FF.

McKay's best games for us have been the ones where he has been roaming up to the wing, outlet marking everything in sight.

He's had a few games where he has taken 2-3 contested marks in the last few minutes of matches. Those moments were a big reason we won those mathes.

Those performances stick with me more than ones where he has kicked 4 or 5 goals as a stay-at-home FF.
100%. Harry has arguably been in career-best form at stages throughout this year playing that CHF hitting up to the wing role, it's just that the goal kicking became such a negative media feedback loop.

Vid:-

This is nice to see. Seems like not so long ago that Voss was playing Cripps injured and refusing to cover for him and Cripps had turned half the playing group against the coach.

On a serious note, your wedding ring goes on the other hand, Pat.

Umpires have no discernible impact on the outcome of games.

A game-changing decision in the last 30 seconds is always going to face scrutiny.

But there's hundreds of umpire calls during a match (including non-calls).

Not really fair (or accurate) to isolate the last call and say that won/lost the match. Earlier decisions are just as influential on the match.

A game-changing decision in the last 30 seconds is always going to face scrutiny.

But there's hundreds of umpire calls during a match (including non-calls).

Not really fair (or accurate) to isolate the last call and say that won/lost the match. Earlier decisions are just as influential on the match.

Even Nicks suggested that they lost the game in the first half

It's a big weapon having a contested marking target down the line. Dixon for example has a huge impact for Port for exactly that role, doesn't kick many goals but has a massive impact when he plays just marking and contesting on the wings. Having a genuine contested mark from defensive kick ins or down the lines is a weapon. Kicking goals isn't the only way to skin a cat plenty of CHFs of old could've kicked 100 goals but didn't due to playing up field. Wayne Carey, arguably the best player ever, is a perfect example.

Afl360 had Eddie and Jordan Lewis talking about Charlie and his potential. The consensus is that he has the capacity to become carltons greatest forward of the modern era. Eddie talked about when Charlie used to come down to the club when Charlie was 14 or 15 and marvelling as to what he could do then.

Kingy and joey spoke about the scoring profiles of each team over the last 6 weeks. We are 1st at scoring from stoppages and 14th at scoring from turnovers. According to kingy it can win you games doing it that way but it's harder to sustain. To be fair there were no stand-up teams in both categories. In ladder order ;
Pies 14th (stop) 7th (t/o)
Lions 15 (stop) 4th (t/o)
Power 9th (stop) 15th (t/o)
Demons 2nd (stop) 8th (t/o)
Blues 1st (stop) 14th (t/o)
Saints 3rd (stop) 11th (t/o)
Swans 12th (stop) 2nd (t/o)
Giants 8th (stop) 1st (t/o)

A few things to unpack though. They don't mention that these figures dont take into account the quality of the opposition that you are playing. Swans have had a aoft draw in the last 6 weeks whilst we have played Port, Pies, dees, saints and sun's within ours whilst undermanned. It makes absolute sense that better opposition will turn the ball over less.

Also these figures don't take into account that the Essington turned up their toes against the giants who kicked about 20 goals on turnover last weekend which skews the figures incredibly.

It's easy to hide behind figures. It's a lot harder to interpret them correctly and understand the nuances that they are actually telling you.

I appreciate media pundits who cite stats and are not just relying on the eye test.

But there's a huge difference between data and information...

100%. Harry has arguably been in career-best form at stages throughout this year playing that CHF hitting up to the wing role, it's just that the goal kicking became such a negative media feedback loop.
His field kicking like Curnow is sublime when he can wheel around onto that left. Much better as high CHF. He is probably the smoothest moving 6.8 bloke I've seen. V good below the knees and runs like a midfielder not that Gawnesque ruckmans gait. We are very fortunate for two big mobile key forwards.

Remove this Banner Ad

Media Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc) - Part IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Back