List Mgmt. 2024 List Management 📃

Remove this Banner Ad

Think Mots will end up a similar player and level to Lachie Schultz who is a very good player despite the slow start at the Pies

Nuggety, not extremely quick by foot but quick with ball in hand, comfortable pushing up the ground if required, smart around the goals.

I don’t think he has the sheer X factor of a Cameron or Papley, that type of goal scorer is still at the top of my list. But Mots will play plenty of games for Carlton.

Think Mots will end up a similar player and level to Lachie Schultz who is a very good player despite the slow start at the Pies

Nuggety, not extremely quick by foot but quick with ball in hand, comfortable pushing up the ground if required, smart around the goals.

I don’t think he has the sheer X factor of a Cameron or Papley, that type of goal scorer is still at the top of my list. But Mots will play plenty of games for Carlton.

It's a very reasonable comparison

Mots has slightly more xfactor, Schultz the better defensive game

We need Ed Richards in our midfield

Stats are misleading and he is held to a much higher standard given the price tag & reputation

Price tag and his reputation definitely count against him for sure, but numbers wise his last season was fantastic, i see him leaving Richmond so i like the conversation, i think he would be great for us if he still had the fire in the belly, i dont see it happening though.

Since Taylor Adams has come over to the swans Luke Parker is on the outer...very interesting!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Managed because of no match up, injured or dropped due to bad form, it’s getting harder to justify holding onto Marchbank.

Yes, his best is very good, but you cannot build a reliable premiership contending squad around having a guy like him…or Cuningham…and possibly Martin too.

I think it’s got to the point with Cunners and Marchy that they simply have to be moved on at the end of the year.

Martin is a tougher decision as I think his quality is more obvious so unless if Hayward can be gotten

Disagree. He's strong through the hips but he's not what I'd consider an 'explosive' athlete. Charlie Cameron is explosive, Shai Bolton, Dustin Martin etc... Unfortunately for Mots, leg speed has become invaluable in the modern game, especially for small forwards... And he just doesn't have it.

He's still a good player and a good finisher but I don't think he'll be able to reach to the heights of being a genuine star player and a proper target inside 50.
the data does not support your position.

Just getting better

I hope at some stage they release him from playing deep and play him higher like Whitfield or Noble, while continuing to be better defensively than both those 2

Maybe this week, with having 9 defenders in the side
It's interesting we currently have both Williams and Saad who I would describe as dashing HBF's who haven't consistently been those 60 metre players in the mold of Dawson from the crows.

I would like to see us generate that kind of play consistently as we have a very potent backline with Gov, Saad, Weiters, Williams and Boyd who are all above average kicks.

Boyd has played a bit more defensive as we were trying to deploy Saad and Williams as the runners but with Cincotta now settled into taking the most dangerous small forward that should allow for Boyd to move up the ground somewhat.

Boyd isn't as quick as Noble but has better disposal and he doesn't have the tank of Whitfield but as you say more defensively minded, on paper at least our backline is now very attacking but we seem to lack a little flair.

If we can get some continuity with the group of Saad, Boyd, Cincotta and Williams from defensive 50 and through the middle - this can give us the pace and quick ball movement we need.
Yeah true but….

Can we get some continuity from the 3 amigos ….cunners Martin and marchy ??

Unavailability of these 3 on a regular basis is making life incredibly difficult for us atm.

Last edited:
Yeah true but….

Can we get some continuity from the 3 amigos ….cunners Martin and marchy ??

Unavailability of these 3 on acrehular basis is making life incredibly difficult for us atm.
The club must be at the threshold of moving beyond these 3.

I see the move for Hayward and acquiring Elijah last season as moves to replace Cunners and Martin.

Moving Gov back and getting Kemp to play 3rd defender as well as acquiring Cowan as a replacement for Marchy.

Will those replacements ever get to the ability of the injured players, who knows? Gotta be able to stay on the park to show your talent.

People seem to have forgotten how Motts played.

He was our fastest player in the first half of last season with a top speed of 34.4 kph. His issue was his tank which he did a lot of work on over the summer. His 2 goals against Dees in the semi final showed plenty of xfactor that we are missing this year. Kicked 2 goals a game in the back end of the season. He is what we need in the side.

https://www.zerohanger.com/the-afls-fastest-players-and-top-speeds-revealed-139463/

He was our fastest player in the first half of last season with a top speed of 34.4 kph. His issue was his tank which he did a lot of work on over the summer. His 2 goals against Dees in the semi final showed plenty of xfactor that we are missing this year. Kicked 2 goals a game in the back end of the season. He is what we need in the side.

https://www.zerohanger.com/the-afls-fastest-players-and-top-speeds-revealed-139463/
It's not an apples-to-apples comparison when comparing speeds at Marvel to those anywhere else. No GPS at Marvel, they use an indoor positioning system which can throw up some strange numbers.

That said, very bullish on Motlop. His form in the back half of last season was extremely encouraging - far better than anything Durdin has produced.

It's not an apples-to-apples comparison when comparing speeds at Marvel to those anywhere else. No GPS at Marvel, they use an indoor positioning system which can throw up some strange numbers.

That said, very bullish on Motlop. His form in the back half of last season was extremely encouraging - far better than anything Durdin has produced.
There's also ball in hand speed vs speed around the ground. He clearly doesn't play at that speed and he often looks slowish, he doesn't really create separation through speed, gets chased down fairly easily and rarely makes chase down tackles or flys in to apply pressure.

Similar to your second point, it doesn't mean he's no good. It just means he needs to find space other ways - which he does. He's also quite a nuggety build so hopefully he learns to harness that strength.

I haven’t forgotten at all. He’s not electric off the mark and he doesn’t have the sheer ability to pull a goal out of his ass like the top small forwards.

I still can’t wait to get him into the side as he is a good player and he will become a very good one in a position of need.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back