Media Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc) - Part IV

Our club in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

I didn’t listen to the Jordan Lewis comments. But I think there are plenty on here who will think we are a failure if we don’t win a flag this year (though I will make the usual proviso about an assumption of a relatively standard run with injuries).

In terms of the wider group of AFL commentators, I think they will write us off as failures if we don’t make the grand final. I think some will let us get away with having a break even season if we lose the big dance to a side with plenty of Grand Final experience - e.g. Collingwood or Sydney. Though they would have us as underachieving if we fell to Freo or the club who shall not be named (and I am personally happy to take to the streets with pitchforks if we lose to the latter).

All I am saying is that I don’t think there is anything particularly controversial about the Jordan Lewis comments.

I saw that. Talk about finding a negative at all costs. So many on the footy media have deep hatred of carlton.

Will make the next premiership even more fun.
What's the big deal of what he said? If we don't win a flag in the next few years it definitely is a failure. It is star studded like up. Pending injuring of course.

Jordan Lewis is on "on the coach". Starts off by complimenting us in a round about way. States how good our list, how many highly ranked players we gave etc.

Then frames it as 'will Carlton be deemed as a failure if they don't win a flag in the next few years".
He said we would have underachieved, not a failure. The only thing I objected to was two years too short a window with this list.

I’m a cynic of these media personalities like brown, Lewis,

They don’t write the script or the message they just deliver it in their own mumbled, incoherent words.

But…. I’ve seen enough of the Fox and CH7 narrative over the last few years to know that they peddle whatever will crest a big story/headline.

What I find distasteful about what Lewis said is that we have only this year entered “our window” and even that was being questioned when we sitting just in the fringe of the 8 six weeks ago.

To now be saying that we could potentially fritter away our “golden opportunity “ if we don’t win the flag in the next 2 years is sensationalist garbage!!!

All designed to create the narrative that we are at risk of being a flaming plane crash into oblivion.

This is created to intensify pressure on the club/team through heightening the risk of failure and need for immediate success.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Orazio Fantasia produced his best performance in a Carlton jumper on the weekend, producing four goals in the wet as the Blues enjoyed a 61-point win over the Tigers at the MCG.

But for the forward now at his third club, all that matters to him and his coaches is how he goes about his business.

Absolutely love the determination Cripps has to improve his game. His kicking used to be a weakness but now:

Furthermore, in addition to his prolific ball-winning numbers, Cripps has improved his effectiveness forward of centre. He's now kicked 11 goals from 13 efforts this year, has nailed six of seven set-shot attempts, and kicked one from deep inside the boundary on Sunday. Champion Data stats also show that Carlton has retained the ball from 54 per cent of Cripps' 56 kicks inside 50 this year. It makes him the 12th best player in the competition at delivering the ball forward.

newman evil smirk GIF by HULU

Apparently we're not in the premiership window...

Because the points against and points for says so...

These geniuses have come up with a premiership window and based it on... percentage

Zero context, disregard injuries and fixture... what a ****en circus...

We can't win the premiership because Weitering, Mcgovern and Saad were all injured early in the year and we leaked too many goals 2 months ago. It's genius!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn’t listen to the Jordan Lewis comments. But I think there are plenty on here who will think we are a failure if we don’t win a flag this year (though I will make the usual proviso about an assumption of a relatively standard run with injuries).

In terms of the wider group of AFL commentators, I think they will write us off as failures if we don’t make the grand final. I think some will let us get away with having a break even season if we lose the big dance to a side with plenty of Grand Final experience - e.g. Collingwood or Sydney. Though they would have us as underachieving if we fell to Freo or the club who shall not be named (and I am personally happy to take to the streets with pitchforks if we lose to the latter).

All I am saying is that I don’t think there is anything particularly controversial about the Jordan Lewis comments.
Seriously ...win the flag or it's a waste?
How about making the prelim and winning?

How about being in the GF?

Not sure if you count yourself amongst those who'd be disappointed?
Winning a cup is difficult. There are a gazillion factors and micro-factors involved.
We are set up to give it a great crack.
If people aren't happy with that, they can go
and sulk and be dreary elsewhere.

What's the big deal of what he said? If we don't win a flag in the next few years it definitely is a failure. It is star studded like up. Pending injuring of course.

Potential more positive angles he could have run with:
"Carlton beat Richmond while resting best player"
"Carlton consolidate 2nd spot on the ladder"
"Carlton's biggest win over Richmond in 13 years"

Instead we find a the only negative slant available - if Carlton don't win a premiership in 2 years they're failures.

Instead we find a the only negative slant available - if Carlton don't win a premiership in 2 years they're failures.
Again, he never said failures. He said we might have underachieved, which is totally fair. People going out of their way to be offended at this point.

I didn't watch the clip but I take it as a compliment. If he thinks if we don't win a flag in the next few years as a failure then that means he reckons we have a fantastic list and a gun side. He is conceding or admitting we are a darn good team.

Apparently we're not in the premiership window...

Because the points against and points for says so...

These geniuses have come up with a premiership window and based it on... percentage

Zero context, disregard injuries and fixture... what a ****en circus...

They did say we're tracking well and by round 20 they anticipate we'll be in the window.

Again, he never said failures. He said we might have underachieved, which is totally fair. People going out of their way to be offended at this point.

You're right it's a very minor point. But it's not a much of a compliment when a team is 2 games clear in second to say they're premiership chances over the next 2 years. With the GF on the G we're clear premiership favourites this year.

Interesting to note through all our dire years on the bottom and during richmond's premiership years we never got beaten by a 10+ goal margin. The biggest was 7 goals. That's actually a pretty fair achievement for a young team.

Nice to give them a touch up on the way back through.

If in 6 years we haven't won a flag with a list that includes Walsh, Cripps, Harry, Charlie, TDK, Weitering and others like Elijah etc I as a supporter would consider it to be a failure. And I can't understand how is that even controversial or being negative?
I just think the 2 years part was a bit ridiculous, I think we have a solid 5-6 years of contending if things all go to plan. Getting an influx of talent through F/S and some youngsters like Elijah, Ollie, Kemp etc while our core players are in their primes. Cripps will be the big one we have to find a way to cover but still think we have a great list demographic with the Campo's and Walker coming in soon.

Carlton has retained the ball from 54 per cent of Cripps' 56 kicks inside 50 this year. It makes him the 12th best player in the competition at delivering the ball forward.

Hell of a stat that one.
Amazing how much his disposal has improved - along with his running power.

Godly!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back