Media Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc) - Part IV

Our club in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Courtesy of SpiritOfCarlton -

Good question....maybe if you combined the overhead skills of Stewart, with the ground ball skills/run of Saad, with the disposal skills of a Daicos - and you may be getting close. Not only would he destroy his opponent, but totally opened up the game with his rebound - rarely missed his target with either kicking or handball.

SpiritOfCarlton put together a great highlights package that went for nearly an hour. It'll give you a bit of a heads up of the great man. How much would we love him right now running off half back....even at 73yo!!!

It's well worth making yourself a cuppa and watching this. I watched it last night and brought back many great memories.

Loved the old commentators…Doug Haywood was a particular favorite.

The legend is still working as a postie out of Preston mail centre to this day. Must be in his early 70's now.

Just looked it up, turns 74 on Sep 11.
We still see him occasionally doing his grocery shopping at Coles in Eltham. I never say anything to him though as much as I’d like to. Gotta respect the great man’s privacy.

We still see him occasionally doing his grocery shopping at Coles in Eltham. I never say anything to him though as much as I’d like to. Gotta respect the great man’s privacy.
Fair enough - if it was me though I’d always say “gooday Bruce” as I pass him. I can’t be sure but I’m thinking he would like that.

MightMighties, you and I must live closely- I see the great man sometimes on Bolton St; and once genuflected towards him from a distance, in Were St, Monty:thumbsu::cool:

My old man is old school Italian and his fav player was Bruce and Bruce use to do the same mail run as my old man’s house and being an old school wog my old man use to invite , I say force Bruce to take time out of his day and come see his garden and home made wine … said Bruce didn’t talk much and was a good listener lol…. I say poor Bruce !!

Fair enough - if it was me though I’d always say “gooday Bruce” as I pass him. I can’t be sure but I’m thinking he would like that.
We (missus & I) usually have some sort of Carlton gear on when we see him so maybe next time I’ll give him a nod and see how we go. Suspect I’d get a little Bruce smirk as acknowledgement and that’d do me. I’d die a happy man!

We (missus & I) usually have some sort of Carlton gear on when we see him so maybe next time I’ll give him a nod and see how we go. Suspect I’d get a little Bruce smirk as acknowledgement and that’d do me. I’d die a happy man!
I saw skinny matt at a Bunnings store here on the Gold Coast a few years ago. I wanted to say good day and have a chat but it all happened quickly as he came around into the isle as I was walking out and he looked like he was in a hurry.

I also ran into Peter dean in Brisbane one afternoon going back some years ago …he was jogging with another bloke I didn’t recognise. Yeah can’t stop someone jogging to say good day . 😂

Is Bruce married?
Anyone know?

Front bar tonight …Crawford special guest…

Apparently a Carlton recruiter was out watching a country game and crawf kicked 12 goals on a wet day and was pleased with himself thinking Carlton will recruit him…come draft night Carlton picked a Bevan Smiley (?) ….the guy crawf kicked 12 goals on 😂😂

Apparently a Carlton recruiter was out watching a country game and crawf kicked 12 goals on a wet day and was pleased with himself thinking Carlton will recruit him…come draft night Carlton picked a Bevan Smiley (?) ….the guy crawf kicked 12 goals on 😂😂
lol just saw that as well ag

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apparently a Carlton recruiter was out watching a country game and crawf kicked 12 goals on a wet day and was pleased with himself thinking Carlton will recruit him…come draft night Carlton picked a Bevan Smiley (?) ….the guy crawf kicked 12 goals on

Add that to the list
Jason Dunstall
Crawford

….fmd

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It's a cool story and it's true.

However what he did fail to mention is that he was taken by the Hawks before our first pick. So we couldn't have taken him. We did take the Smilie guy but with a very late pick - in the 70's.

Incidentally our first pick that year was used on Matthew Hogg who was a premiership player and played ( I think) the third highest amount of games from that draft behind Crawford and Dunkley. So it wasn't all bad.

It's a cool story and it's true.

However what he did fail to mention is that he was taken by the Hawks before our first pick. So we couldn't have taken him. We did take the Smilie guy but with a very late pick - in the 70's.

Incidentally our first pick that year was used on Matthew Hogg who was a premiership player and played ( I think) the third highest amount of games from that draft behind Crawford and Dunkley. So it wasn't all bad.
Ok I probably heard it wrong but I thought he said hawks picked him after we had our pick.

anyway it was another enjoyable front bar …

Ok I probably heard it wrong but I thought he said hawks picked him after we had our pick.

anyway it was another enjoyable front bar …

Crawf was Pick 13, our first pick Hogg was 18. We had six other selections, Pick 28 to 79 (Smiley was 79).

Funnily enough Hogg finished on 114 games and our 7 selected players from that draft combined for 149 games. 😳

When I was in high school, I bumped into him at Baker's Delight in Eltham, I shook his hand and said hello. I was so awestruck!

My friend was with me, when we were walking back home, he asked who that was. I said it was the one and only Bruce Doull, which he replies "who, Bruce Tool?" Of course he's a Collingwood supporter!

When I was in high school, I bumped into him at Baker's Delight in Eltham, I shook his hand and said hello. I was so awestruck!

My friend was with me, when we were walking back home, he asked who that was. I said it was the one and only Bruce Doull, which he replies "who, Bruce Tool?" Of course he's a Collingwood supporter!
Did you wring his neck ☺️

Remove this Banner Ad

Media Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc) - Part IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Back