Carlton names greatest five of all time

Remove this Banner Ad

Pusswah

Premiership Player
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
Fremantle
Like the first time I saw a picture of Megan Gale, I found this an interesting piece:
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-06-14/top-five-blues-of-all-time

Among the 150 'Champions of Carlton' are eight current Blues – Marc Murphy, Chris Judd, Andrew Carrazzo, Kade Simpson, Bryce Gibbs, Jarrad Waite, Andrew Walker and Matthew Kreuzer – along with the recently retired Heath Scotland and Eddie Betts, who is now with Adelaide.

To be eligible for selection, players must have taken part in a minimum of 50 matches over five seasons for the Blues.

I was thinking, "Seriously, Matthew Kreuzer, one of the 150 'Champions' of a magnificent club that's been around for a century and a half??!". So I had a poke around;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Carlton_Football_Club_players

Whack that into excel and you've got 1151 players so far.

You get all the way down to just 310 players by picking out who got to 50 games - highlights how few get to that seemingly insignificant milestone; it's not that insignificant.

Cut out the players who haven't been there for 5 years or more, and you get down to just 213.

Knock out players such as Paul Bower, Setanta O'Hailpin and Jordan Bannister (please don't get mad at me if you think they're champions Carlton fans, I do count myself as a touch ignorant in knowing the intricacies of your players), maybe Kreuzer being (loosely?) referred to as a 'Champion' isn't so far fetched - unfortunately I guess it's kind of a filler for a 150 in 150 gimmick. Perhaps 50 or 100 might have resulted in a higher grade cut, but 50 in 150 doesn't have quite the same zing.

My apologies if this all seems a pile of crap, just figured a few others out there might have the same initial reaction to the story that I did.

Don't take it personally Carlton fans but if you're naming 150 players as 'Champions' then you're going to be naming some blokes who most definitely aren't. Would've though a list of 50 would've been a much more deserving number and would've meant that it was left to only those that were Champions.

Sources tell me Kruezer had Bootsma outted as it was a two horse race for the final spot

Probably more deserving players, but who cares

Whether theyre called 'legends', 'champions' or big green monstors, its a list of our most valuable 150 players

But yeah maybe someone who saw all of Carltons eras might throw up a more worthy name

I'm sure if we looked for 150 of each club we would find some interesting selections

This week has been unbelievable. All week in discussions about the Hawthorn v Carlton match, all the talk has been about Malthouse's 700th game and this ridiculous list of Carlton's greatest players. I mean, if you don't follow Carlton, who gives a crap??!!!

Yet you still make a comment on it in a thread dedicated to it.

:rolleyes:

Sources tell me Kruezer had Bootsma outted as it was a two horse race for the final spot
Probably more deserving players, but who cares
Whether theyre called 'legends', 'champions' or big green monstors, its a list of our most valuable 150 players
But yeah maybe someone who saw all of Carltons eras might throw up a more worthy name

I'm sure if we looked for 150 of each club we would find some interesting selections
It's funny you say that - Fremantle only just got past 150 total players in 2010.

Just happens to be Nate the knife Fyfe :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've started a petition on our board to get OP of this thread banned. It's just outright trolling to claim Paul Bower is not a champion! But yeah nah I understand the significance of 150 for 150 but perhaps a celebration of our genuine champion players would have been better, say 50. Sure you'd be pushing it to call every one of the 50 Champions but I have no doubt we have 50 players who have been true champions of the club.

This week has been unbelievable. All week in discussions about the Hawthorn v Carlton match, all the talk has been about Malthouse's 700th game and this ridiculous list of Carlton's greatest players. I mean, if you don't follow Carlton, who gives a crap??!!!

If you don't follow Carlton, you don't actually need to take any interest in the celebrations...no one expects you to. This thread was more to do with the peculiar nature of our named list anyway, but the thread title was clear about which club would be discussed.

Not the clubs problem if you must read every thread and make a post about everything

We've started a petition on our board to get OP of this thread banned. It's just outright trolling to claim Paul Bower is not a champion! But yeah nah I understand the significance of 150 for 150 but perhaps a celebration of our genuine champion players would have been better, say 50. Sure you'd be pushing it to call every one of the 50 Champions but I have no doubt we have 50 players who have been true champions of the club.

If you don't follow Carlton, you don't actually need to take any interest in the celebrations...no one expects you to. This thread was more to do with the peculiar nature of our named list anyway, but the thread title was clear about which club would be discussed.

Not the clubs problem if you must read every thread and make a post about everything

I definitely agree a shorter list would have made it seem so much more of an achievement to make the list, but it's 150 players for 150 years, so it would defeat the purpose of the list in the first place.

Agreed.

I think more should've been made of Hawthorn's ownership of Carlton in the build up to last Friday night's game. The Hawks have now won 11 successive matches versus Carlton, a feat which is even more impressive when you consider the Hawks and Blues usually meet just once a year.

Carlton have not beaten Hawthorn in 9 YEARS!!!

It pisses me off the way the media gloss over something like this. Hawthorn lost 12 successive matches versus Geelong from 2009-2013 and we never heard the end of it. The Cats were a great side from 2009-2011. Hawthorn just wasn't as good as Geelong in those years. We also had a lot of injuries. So it was good effort by the Hawks to get as close as they did in many of those games.

Hawthorn finished well down the ladder with Carlton in 2005 and 2006.

Carlton finished above Hawthorn in 2009.

There was nothing between them in 2010 and the Blues weren't far behind in 2011

R13, 2014 - Hawthorn 18.10.118, Carlton 13.12.90 , Hawks by 28
R12, 2013 - Hawthorn 15.12.102, Carlton 13.9.87 , Hawks by 15
R14, 2012 - Hawthorn 18.12.120, Carlton 10.10.70 , Hawks by 50
R22, 2011 - Hawthorn 10.18.78 , Carlton 8.18.66 , Hawks by 12
R09, 2010 - Hawthorn 16.14.110, Carlton 8.12.60 , Hawks by 50
R06, 2009 - Hawthorn 16.10.106, Carlton 15.12.102 , Hawks by 4
R22, 2008 - Hawthorn 24.15.159, Carlton 12.9.81 , Hawks by 78
R12, 2007 - Hawthorn 27.18.180, Carlton 12.8.80 , Hawks by 100
R19, 2006 - Hawthorn 17.11.113, Carlton 13.12.90 , Hawks by 23
R04, 2006 - Hawthorn 15.10.100, Carlton 9.14.68 , Hawks by 32
R17, 2005 - Hawthorn 19.13.127, Carlton 15.13.103 , Hawks by 24

Seriously though, the reason nobody cares about this but they do about the cats one is because we've been down the bottom of the ladder while the hawks for the most part have been at the top

The Geelong one, both teams were at the top, so it's strange that in an evenly matched HU one team dominates the other

If Jarrad Waite's in the best 10% of players to ever pull on a Carlton jumper, then the other 90% ought to feel mega pissed off.
Jarrad Waite wore the Big V in 2008. He's never really become an A-grader, but he's no slouch either. We're just hard on him because he's stayed around, been a maligned player and forged a 12 year career.

Most AFL players who come and go are pretty crap. They're lucky to play 20-30 games, so we forget about them fairly quickly.

I'm sure if the OP repeated the exercise for every other club, we could cherry pick the list of top 150 players for some so-called "duds"

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton names greatest five of all time

Remove this Banner Ad

Back