List Mgmt. Carlton's 2020 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I really wish I had your confidence.

I'm optimistic, but until I see us against the Tigs I won't believe in any improvement.
So you propose to prematurely judge our progress in 2021 on how we fare in the first match of 2021? Really 😳

So you propose to prematurely judge our progress in 2021 on how we fare in the first match of 2021? Really 😳
I will wait until we've played a game and can see how the new pieces fit in - or don't - and how the old pieces stack up before I come to anything resembling an opinion on our prospects next year. I don't think that's an outrageous view, or at least it shouldn't be.

Durdin is better than wright, better tackler, better crumber-although you said his floor what's Durdins ceiling?
Matthew Wright played 159 AFL games and had a few full seasons where he averaged over 20 touches a game. He led our goal kicking one year and almost won it the next year as well. Durdin hasn’t played a game yet, hope he ends up an all time great but he’s got a lot to achieve before you can claim he’s better than Wright.

Durdin will do just fine, has the speed, skills and footy IQ to be an elite player, as long as we can look past his height.
I like him, eventually will play anywhere on the park as needed.

If Charlie hadn’t lost the past few seasons with this worrying injury I’d be so much more confident in rising up the ladder and causing some havoc, and that’s not too say we can’t but a fit and injury free Charlie just makes a massive difference on a next level rise...
I’m optimistic on him hopefully making it back but somewhat realistic that the player he was designed too be will not happen sadly, hope I’m way off the mark...
We need to draft or trade in another KPF and KPD at least one next year and the other the following year, for me they are our next obvious targets...
Very confident if all goes well injury wise we will make finals...

If Charlie hadn’t lost the past few seasons with this worrying injury I’d be so much more confident in rising up the ladder and causing some havoc, and that’s not too say we can’t but a fit and injury free Charlie just makes a massive difference on a next level rise...
I’m optimistic on him hopefully making it back but somewhat realistic that the player he was designed too be will not happen sadly, hope I’m way off the mark...
We need to draft or trade in another KPF and KPD at least one next year and the other the following year, for me they are our next obvious targets...
Very confident if all goes well injury wise we will make finals...

Charlie aside, we still need to draft KPF KPD and at the minimum a rookie ruck project.

I agree with the KPF KPD priority. If our young mids can develop, we should keep the 1st round draft pick, not trade for merret or Oliver and draft a KPP

We have something like 14 midfielders on our list ... sort of ... ish. Need to keep the longer to develop talls coming through the system.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It won't be the end of the world if we don't win that game. The hype around that is all out of context. High time we played someone else to start.

No. We need a monkey off our back. Self belief is a big thing B&B.

I know what you mean mate but I think self belief doesnt come in one game. It will come with five or six wins in a row and being in the eight. Doesnt matter who it's against.
Round one would be the best place to start

Not sure if it’s that straight forward. Carroll was arguably best available for 20 picks before we chose him. You can’t tell me that Ryan the pick before Carroll was a best available choice. There are plenty of examples where recruiters have chosen needs over best available, this year even more so.

The best strategy lies somewhere in the middle.
Not too sure

Richmond picked up 2 kids in the 2019 draft that were Brisbane academy kids who we bid on and brisbane didnt match due to having another they wanted
Ryan was team mates with Cumberland & Martyn in 2018 & 2019 so Richmond had a very very good look at him for a couple of years and its been mentioned he has developed a bit since and added 7-8cm and 15 kgs since.
We also have Nankervis,Chol,Soldo,Coleman-Jones as well as cat B Ruckman Colina so he was not actually a need and we did bid on Eyre the bombers academy kid.

Think with Richmond he was the highest rated

I don't know that they have 'told us over and over again their particular methodologies and views on this matter'. They've given us the public version.

As if each and any list manager (aside from Wayne Hughes) is going to just up and out with their strategies both before and after the draft.
The club said what types we would target through trade, then went out and acquired those types.

They then said what types we would target through the draft, and again drafted exactly that.

Clubs enter these processes with cards face up, which generally leads to adopting straightforward and common approaches.

Richmond smashed Carlton in round 1 and St Kilda outplayed Carlton in what was a changed format -no other side was able to rack up an easy win against Carlton - but hard work was made of winning or losing against various sides during a difficult year for all concerned - except perhaps those sides able to play in their home towns.

On paper Saad and Williams add 2 high quality AFL players whilst Fogarty has enough of a track record injury aside to suggest he can push for selection. The list has been improved significantly and both Martin and McGovern (previous trades) will benefit from the inclusion of a couple of better runners and genuine AFL players in the side - developing 3-5 year players should look better on field as classier senior players make them look and play better -Murphy may end up being the biggest beneficiary perhaps being able to play a genuine outside running and distributing game as there are now plenty of on ball options.

The missing links for Carlton are a couple of genuine running marking wings who can kick - I liked the look of Williamson on a wing against GWS.

Lots to look forward to in further development from TDK and the eventual debut of Kemp - Stocker|SOJ|DOw|LoB|Philp|Kennedy|Honey will have plenty of opportunity to find form and hopefully, the Club can make use of its own VFL side- to use it to develop a Club game style so that there is greater connection between reserves and firsts.

The only disappointment we are carrying in terms of missing something big - is Charlie.

After many years of faffing around and having to wear a total rebuild - the Club has achieved equality with other Clubs who have had the benefit of better list management and a coherent development regime. This set up should be sustainable and should lead to a period of increasing competitiveness and more wins.

All the draftees can now be developed in two's - properly, and start to form a cohort of future AFL players who know each other's and the coach's game.

I'd be surprised to see any of this year's draftees play AFL this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back