No Oppo Supporters CAS hands down guilty verdict - Players appealing - Dank shot - no opposition - (cont in pt.2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a feeling it will be decided one way or another pretty quickly once the players and their eagles see the 'evidence'... we will either see deals done the same week (see Crunalla) or we know it will be fought to the end..
It's so ****** up

Going by the posts we could lose half our members if we appeal the Federal Court Case or Hird is no longer coach. We could even lose half the posters from essendon forums.
That's not going to leave many if we appeal AND hird gets booted.

I'm don't think I'll pay $400odd or whatever it is for my silver membership if all it is is a season ticket. Keeping voting rights for the next election has been raised by others on both sides of the argument, but I don't know if the guys I'd vote out are up for re-election or they're safe. I'd imagine the school teacher is safe.

I'll keep my mcc and just go to games at the g if I'm still interested.

Where is this from? I'd genuinely like to know, I think the club is duty bound to advise their members. IF we appeal (and I currently don't think we should), then I think the club needs to give all members a breakdown of costs to date and expected costs into the future.

Annual report will cover this

Three month bands would be really tempting to get all this shit over and done with. However in everyone else and especially the medias eyes it'd mean essendon be proven "guilty" whether or not they are/ were.
I wouldn't lose any respect if they chose to get this all over and done with personally. However the media and co. Backlash would be horrendous.

Three month bands would be really tempting to get all this shit over and done with. However in everyone else and especially the medias eyes it'd mean essendon be proven "guilty" whether or not they are/ were.
I wouldn't lose any respect if they chose to get this all over and done with personally. However the media and co. Backlash would be horrendous.

Don't forget over the top...once you've pleaded guilty...

I find it insulting that you twist it that one's opinion is shaped by the media - I posted in August/September 2013 that Hird should leave the club - other people posted similar - I stress Hird should leave the club, not be sacked.

And the pity is that most of the debate should be about the players future - Few seem to care about the players.
Sorry to insult

This does not make this right though

I never said it was right - But realistically from the time Hird refused to stand down, and especially when he leaked against the AFL, his papers were stamped. As has been discussed previously Hird received poor advice.

I want to know if Caro is a white witch or a black witch ?

Twitter Wars - hardie is blueing with Chris Kiais, is tetchy with ringsau,and has given up on Maddadam.

Of course MaddAdam on BF, but yet Hardie still accepted Maddadam pledge for his upcoming book.

Anyway, I can now enjoy a weeks R and R in Thailand - One of the advantages of living in HK, is the close proximity to Asian holiday destinations.

Last edited by a moderator:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Calendar-Quote-Of-The-Day (24th September):

'We are more inclined to hate one another for points on which we differ, than to love one another for points on which we agree.'
- CHARLES CALEB COLTON

Why is it that BigFooty was the first thing that popped into my head upon reading this? Incidentally, I looked up just who Charles Caleb Colton was, as he seems a pretty switched-on guy. Turns out he did nothing really of note (apologies if I offended any nerds with my apparent ignorance ;)) but he summed up internet forums damn straight, an impressive effort for a guy who has been dead for nearly 200 years!
Visionary.

So talk of three month deals being offered (which I don't even know how that is legal.. considering the minimum is 6 months) and being backdated to when last game was played..

So players could be offered a suspension that runs from (say) 7/09/2014 - 7/12/2014, they don't admit to doping on the intention to dope, but they admit to 'inadvertent exposure to possible doping violation'..

If these rumours are to be believed (and they are purely rumours at this stage) then you have to wonder how any player keeps the will to fight under such circumstances.. To be back training with this thing done and dusted by the second week of December.. has to be very tempting.

I appreciate that it probably means that ASADA has SFA and just wants a scalp.. but it becomes like the situation where you get a speeding fine you think you don't deserve.. but who can be bothered fighting 1 demerit point and $160... better to move and and enjoy life.
What would your view on that deal be rines?

Part of it would have to be that Hird stays.

Cancelling your membership is absolutely not supporting the club.
You don't have to be a member in order to be a supporter - we have 60K or so members, but a whole lot more supporters than that. Supporters still pay to go to games, buy merchandise, watch games on TV, etc.

I won't be cancelling my membership anytime soon, but I recognise that membership is a 2-way street - professional football clubs are not charities, and they only deserve support while they do the right thing by their members (obviously what 'the right thing' is varies from member to member).

So talk of three month deals being offered (which I don't even know how that is legal.. considering the minimum is 6 months) and being backdated to when last game was played..

So players could be offered a suspension that runs from (say) 7/09/2014 - 7/12/2014, they don't admit to doping on the intention to dope, but they admit to 'inadvertent exposure to possible doping violation'..

If these rumours are to be believed (and they are purely rumours at this stage) then you have to wonder how any player keeps the will to fight under such circumstances.. To be back training with this thing done and dusted by the second week of December.. has to be very tempting.

I appreciate that it probably means that ASADA has SFA and just wants a scalp.. but it becomes like the situation where you get a speeding fine you think you don't deserve.. but who can be bothered fighting 1 demerit point and $160... better to move and and enjoy life.

Reminds me more of torture than a speeding fine, the longer you don't do what we want the longer we are going to drag this out for you while damaging your credibility while we are at it.

I'm of the opinion that if there are grounds to appeal we should do so. The process of dealing with 34 show cause notices looks like it will almost certainly drag into the 2015 season. Another which could again be ruined by the ASADA investigation. What's a couple more months?

One more thing bothering me with this dragging on and on is our ability to get players to the club, particularly during this period. Very similar to West Coast during their 'drug' period.

I'm of the opinion that if there are grounds to appeal we should do so. The process of dealing with 34 show cause notices looks like it will almost certainly drag into the 2015 season. Another which could again be ruined by the ASADA investigation. What's a couple more months?
There are probably always grounds to appeal just about anything - especially if you have an optimistic legal team. Whether you're likely to win is another matter of course.

Appealing will cost us $$$, and unless we win, it will delay the process even further, making it even more likely to drag into the 2015 season and beyond.

If we appeal, I'll be withholding my membership for next year.

I'm not a fan of that attitude. Not because I think an appeal is an amazing idea, but it implies that you rate your own layman's interpretation of the case and Middleton's ruling ahead of the people who have the full facts and are briefed by QCs. You don't get to be a businessman of Paul Little's stature by throwing good money after bad; if the club decides to appeal, I support it because the people who know a lot more about it than I do think there's ground for an appeal. If the club decides not to appeal, I support it because the people who know a lot more about it than I do think there's no grounds for an appeal.

This isn't like a trade where we've all seen the player play before. It's even different to the varying opinions on Hird. Both of those opinions need no professional advice or anything like that. This is a case where we all are simply out of our depth and have to trust (or hope) that the people who aren't out of their depth don't **** it up.

I never said it was right - But realistically from the time Hird refused to stand down, and especially when he leaked against the AFL, his papers were stamped.
Ok, so if we accept your premise that the AFL wants Hird gone (but knows that it can't do anything about that officially), how do you expect the AFL try to kick him out unofficially ?

Do they lean on the AFL tribunal to find some players guilty, to increase the pressure on Hird ? Do they send their dirt unit out to try to find some more dirt on Hird for Caro / Purple / etc. to print ? Do they make unofficial threats against the club - loss of ANZAC Day games, shitty fixturing, guilty verdicts for players at tribunal, etc. - to try to get the board to sack him ? Or do they just accept that they want him gone, but that he's not going ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back