Lowie01

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 22, 2003
In limbo.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
MVFC - 2009 Premiers
I'm going to try a new thread and see what response it gets. The premise is that you try to defend a player that is widely panned in the press and pilloried on the BF Football Board. Robbie Keane would be a prime example. Then we come back in a few months/years and see how that player developed, and get to point and laugh at you all.

I'm going to start with Darren Bent. He's probably been relegated to fourth choice striker at Spurs with the signing on Keane, with Defoe and Pavlyuchenko also ahead. But the bloke has scored 14 goals this season across all comps, so if he continues at that rate, he'll end up with about 23 to 25. Most people would get lauded for such a strike rate, yet Bent seems to be a figure of derision. He seems to be a victim of the admittedly huge fee that Spurs paid Charlton before the start of last season. He may not be worth the 16m, but he would be a great addition to any side looking to take the step up from mid-table mediocrity to a contender for a European place.

On the home front, an honourable mention for Nikolai Topor-Stanley too. I think I'm the only one here who rates him.

Go ahead folks - mount your case for the defence.

On a more serious note, I will mount a defence for Manchester United FC.

No matter what you say about them and there fans - and admititadly most of the fans are a bunch of ****, but here is a club that has generated its own wealth by marketing itself supremley thus getting a headstart on all its rivals in the premiership era. No billionaire investors needed at this club. Here is a club who stood by its manager when they couldnt finsih higher than mid-table, and then reaped massive rewards. And here is a club who try and playing attacking, entertaining football when others have succeeded playing negative, defensive football. Here is the club who this season will equal Liverpools 18 league titles, thus finally laying to claim the mantle of England's most successful team.

All hail the great Manchester United, from the Busby Babes to Fergies fledglings and to the current incarnation. The greatest team in England, Europe and now the world.

Just stop poaching our players you bunch of *****

No matter what you say about them and there fans - and admititadly most of the fans are a bunch of ****, but here is a club that has generated its own wealth by marketing itself supremley thus getting a headstart on all its rivals in the premiership era. No billionaire investors needed at this club. Here is a club who stood by its manager when they couldnt finsih higher than mid-table, and then reaped massive rewards. And here is a club who try and playing attacking, entertaining football when others have succeeded playing negative, defensive football. Here is the club who this season will equal Liverpools 18 league titles, thus finally laying to claim the mantle of England's most successful team.

All hail the great Manchester United, from the Busby Babes to Fergies fledglings and to the current incarnation. The greatest team in England, Europe and now the world.

Wow. :thumbsu:

I'm going to defend van der Sar.

He's not the best keeper in England by any stretch, and the whole defina18 joke thing is only brought about because people outside United don't rate him anymore, but I genuinely don't think he's made any more errors than any other top flight keeper over the past season or two. His are just well-documented as the team doesn't concede many goals. Unfortunately, having less saves to make means the saves aren't remembered, and the errors seem more frequent.

He's a fantastic calming influence back there, has made countless important saves over the years, especially in derbies (Cole, Vassell) and no United fan will ever forget the winning save in Moscow. He hasn't been as dominating as Vidic this season but he's still been a real leader back there and I feel comfortable with him in goal at the moment.

Just annoys me that someone like Reina can make seemingly heaps of errors of judgement (which he does), and be lauded as one of the top two or three keepers in the country, yet any VDS error is a clear sign of his sad demise.

Yeah i've nothing against ManUre, just the vast majority of the frontrunning "fans"

Just annoys me that someone like Reina can make seemingly heaps of errors of judgement (which he does), and be lauded as one of the top two or three keepers in the country, yet any VDS error is a clear sign of his sad demise.

Reina is a vampire mate.

VDS isn't shit (I've never said that) but he is solid, nothing more.

VDS at his best was better than anything the vampire has produced.

Stewy Downing :) Not many on here rate him, but I reckon he'll be sold to Villa in the summer (just a gut feeling) and he'll go on to show his true potential.

Mitch Nichols I'm not sure what the board think of this guy but I know a lot of Qld supporters don't rate him. I reckon he's great and if he can increase his fitness can go on to be a very good as he is a very smart player.

On others mentioned, why would people think VDS isn't any good? He is an excellent keeper prone to the odd error as they all are.

On the flipside Lowie, NTS is junk :)

John Pantsil:

West Ham fans consider him a joke, he's had a good season for us. Early on he had some great games and against Liverpool he did a great job of limiting Torres and Riera. Against Pompey he made an awesome last minute tackle that stopped a near certain goal and was solid all game. He does make big tackles and that can lead to a few fouls but he is quick in attack, gets crosses in (not good ones but at least he gets them in) and tried his heart out.

He's part of the fourth best back four in the league and was a bargain at the 300k-1.5 million pound price he cost us.

John Pantsil:

West Ham fans consider him a joke, he's had a good season for us. Early on he had some great games and against Liverpool he did a great job of limiting Torres and Riera. Against Pompey he made an awesome last minute tackle that stopped a near certain goal and was solid all game. He does make big tackles and that can lead to a few fouls but he is quick in attack, gets crosses in (not good ones but at least he gets them in) and tried his heart out.

He's part of the fourth best back four in the league and was a bargain at the 300k-1.5 million pound price he cost us.

I think you all misunderstood the joke we had on Pantsil. It wasnt necessarily that he was rubbish. It was just his entire attitude towards the team and the game. Whenever we scored a goal he would be the first one to the celebration despite being at right back. He would try take anyone on no matter who they were. He tried miraculous bicycle kicks. He rocked up to match day wearing traditional African garmets which used to get quite a look in our match day programmes.

Hes a okay player. We made him into a cult hero not a joke

I think you all misunderstood the joke we had on Pantsil. It wasnt necessarily that he was rubbish. It was just his entire attitude towards the team and the game. Whenever we scored a goal he would be the first one to the celebration despite being at right back. He would try take anyone on no matter who they were. He tried miraculous bicycle kicks. He rocked up to match day wearing traditional African garmets which used to get quite a look in our match day programmes.

Hes a okay player. We made him into a cult hero not a joke

Wasn't there a whole situation about him not spelling his name correctly? Or something along those lines.

I'm going to argue the case for Nicklas Bendtner, he was instrumental in Liverpool's run to the UCL semi-finals last season. A true legend of the game. What a man.

He's also not the worst striker in the world. He's very good for his national team and has scored important goals for Arsenal in the past, okay so he's not a world beater and I think that with maturity and probably a change of scenery, he'll mature into a good EPL striker.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wasn't there a whole situation about him not spelling his name correctly? Or something along those lines.

I'm going to argue the case for Nicklas Bendtner, he was instrumental in Liverpool's run to the UCL semi-finals last season. A true legend of the game. What a man.

He's also not the worst striker in the world. He's very good for his national team and has scored important goals for Arsenal in the past, okay so he's not a world beater and I think that with maturity and probably a change of scenery, he'll mature into a good EPL striker.

He misspelt his name on his work visa so it said Paintsil instead of what it really is in Pantsil. Took 6 months till they could change the registration and get his name spelt right.

On international duty for Ghana he also forgot to bring his passport leaving him stranded in Africa for a week. He missed 2 games because of it. How you forget ya passport is beyond me :eek:

Song of the year at Emirates - "You got Cesc Fabregas well we got John Pantsil"

I'm mounting a case for the defence of Pascal Cygan.

Seriously, the guy wasn't that bad. His bad moments were highlighted to such a ridiculous level that it over-shadowed the fact that he was a handy player for the most part. He wasn't great but most of the time he did his job, in fact your bog standard Premier League defender is as good as Cygan was. Stats will also show that we kept more clean sheets with Cygan in the team than without too.

Nicklas Bendtner is unfairly maligned amongst Arsenal fans, and the wider community. I cannot think of a target man as young and as good as he is in the world. He is often played out of position so that the lazy **** Adebayor can play centrally, and makes a good fist of a position he's obviously not suited to. He also scores a lot of goals given his limited game time.

Denilson, he has started the most games for Arsenal this season (outfield player) and is playing okay. He is equal 3rd in the most connected passes in the EPL and was the Brazilian under 20 captain. Most criticisms of him have been that he is too attacking to partner fabregas (not really his fault) and isn't to good at tackling either. He is turning 21 fairly soon so he has a few years left to develop.

I can see him excelling at other clubs, but not Arsenal as he needs to play in a position that is better suited to him. While Fabregas is at the club he can't have the effect that he would like. Give him 2 years and we will see where he is at then.

Was a toss up between David Bentley and Robbie Keane. Since he is the flavor of the month im going for Robbie Keane.

Yes he left us high and dry in the summer but football has changed a lot from the Matt Le Tessier days as someone mentioned in another thread. One club gifted players will only happen at the big 4. The fact is Robbie was a gun when he was with us and had ambition to push his career further, ambition he felt our chairmen lacked (as do I). While he failed with his move to Liverpool in the 6 months their it doesnt change the fact he is still a good footballer. Strikers need to have a good partnership to work at their best and simply the Torres-Keane partnership just didn't work, but lets not forget how well the Berbatov-Keane partnership worked and also the Keane-Mido partnership also

My god... I threw up after that load of crap.

Remove this Banner Ad

Case for the defence of...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back