Catch up with Fages on Big Footy

Remove this Banner Ad

Whilst I understand the reasoning, I think it was a mistake to send the notes to the club.

The reason is not the delay, but that the club now needs to be ultra-conservative in what they approve. It becomes an official document rather than a supporter interpretation.

If there was something a bit controversial, without getting it approved, the club could always defend themselves with 'that is not what was said', or 'it has been misinterpreted'. They can't use it once it has gone through official channels.

A boss once told me not to put anything in writing that didn't have to be, as once it was in writing it had to be acted upon. We probably should have learnt this lesson by now!

Given the time it has taken Shutts to look at it, might I suggest that you take the pressure off him and let him know that you will publish it as supporter notes that have not been approved by the club?

Whilst I understand the reasoning, I think it was a mistake to send the notes to the club.

The reason is not the delay, but that the club now needs to be ultra-conservative in what they approve. It becomes an official document rather than a supporter interpretation.

If there was something a bit controversial, without getting it approved, the club could always defend themselves with 'that is not what was said', or 'it has been misinterpreted'. They can't use it once it has gone through official channels.

A boss once told me not to put anything in writing that didn't have to be, as once it was in writing it had to be acted upon. We probably should have learnt this lesson by now!

Given the time it has taken Shutts to look at it, might I suggest that you take the pressure off him and let him know that you will publish it as supporter notes that have not been approved by the club?
That would be fine if it was just a one off. As the plan is to keep the lines of communication open and to have future meetings with the club, this is definitely the right approach.

I am eagerly awaiting the outcome too, but more contact and engagement with the club is more important in my opinion.

I take the opposite approach in business & put everything important in writing. IMO, only dodgy people refuse to put important things in writing. eg. Trigg thinks he got rid of the dodgy Tippett written contract verbally - seriously WTF?!

IMO, if we want to open up regular communication with AFC, it is smart practice to ensure they check to ensure we have represented them fairly, before distributing any minutes.

So to be clear. Anything we publish here will NOT be officially endorsed by the club. I personally, we as a group effectively, made the commitment to give them the chance to make sure I wasn't mis-representing what they said - that's all.

So the question is whats the line?

What if you all agreed on an interpretation - yet the AFC disagreed with that interpretation?

The longer this goes on - the more likely it is that we are just receiving some more Walsh Spin ;)

So the question is whats the line?

What if you all agreed on an interpretation - yet the AFC disagreed with that interpretation?

The longer this goes on - the more likely it is that we are just receiving some more Walsh Spin ;)
I guess we'll find out. I'm disappointed we've not had feedback yet. I can tell you however Shutts is in regular contact letting me know why that is the case (busy with other things).
Please be patient and think long term.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess we'll find out. I'm disappointed we've not had feedback yet. I can tell you however Shutts is in regular contact letting me know why that is the case (busy with other things).
By the time this report comes out it will be out of date!

Will be fascinating to see how they handle things when TV plot line advances past books - esp given no book to be published this year....
At least it'll be new for everyone, and nobody posting on facebook can spoil it for people who don't know the story. Personally I think it'll ruin the book, as it'll have to follow the TV show.

By the time this report comes out it will be out of date!
If its not in the next few days I'll have a phone chat with Shutts. All of his responses back to me are late at night so clearly he gets to thinking about it after he's cleared his plate of more important things. I'd like to build the trust so its not necessary - but we have to take this time to build that trust. I'm sure you can all appreciate that.

At least it'll be new for everyone, and nobody posting on facebook can spoil it for people who don't know the story. Personally I think it'll ruin the book, as it'll have to follow the TV show.
Spoilers for the book readers are going to be worse from the tv watchers IMO. Hopefully there are a few things different and interesting enough to make the books worth picking up. I'm trying to recall something I didn't read the book first... and struggling.. not sure how that's going to feel tbh.

That would be fine if it was just a one off. As the plan is to keep the lines of communication open and to have future meetings with the club, this is definitely the right approach.

I am eagerly awaiting the outcome too, but more contact and engagement with the club is more important in my opinion.

So the only way to keep the lines of communication open is to have the club openly censor what is re-posted?

Mate - I am all for you what you guys did. I would have jumped at the chance to sit down with the head of the AFC and fire away a few questions. You and your hand picked friends had a great opportunity and obviously enjoyed the experience. Kudos to you all.

I don't have an issue with the waiting time. I think the club has allocated the correct amount of time to this. Lets be honest - the fact that Shutts can't give 30 minutes to reviewing 6 pages of notes in one week says it all.

My question is, and still remains, what if you and the club have a disagreement about one of the questions? Will you put down your thoughts or tow the club line to keep the option of future meetings on the line?

If its not in the next few days I'll have a phone chat with Shutts. All of his responses back to me are late at night so clearly he gets to thinking about it after he's cleared his plate of more important things. I'd like to build the trust so its not necessary - but we have to take this time to build that trust. I'm sure you can all appreciate that.

What trust is being built from your end?

By building the trust - do you mean not annoying the shit of him so that him and Fages will agree to meet with you in the future for another talk which can be moderated by the club?

Remove this Banner Ad

Catch up with Fages on Big Footy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back