FTA-TV Celeb Amazing Race

Remove this Banner Ad

1) It appeals to local audiences (they leave...they return... ooh I wish I could do all that...)

Hmmm...don't agree on this. So they wouldn't think "ooh i wish i could do that" if the race finished in Singapore or New Zealand?

2) It creates an atmosphere of closure and completion.

Perhaps but how critical is this?

3) By putting the last leg on "home turf", it makes it easier to a) organise and b) avoid the possibility of cultural/language issues screwing up an exciting/tight finish.

Definitely disagree with this. One of the best things about TAR is the challenge teams have with different cultures and languages. I actually find the final stage a bit of a letdown for that very reason.

Why do goals count for six points in AFL, surely five points would be better as it would be easier to work out? Also I disagree with Le Tour de France having a procession on the last stage. Tradition should not hold back common sense and a final leg of genuine racing. (Not my actual views, just an example)

It's just part of the show. TAR always starts and finishes in the home country.

Also it would be a lot easier to get the eliminated teams together in Perth for the final rather than flying them all overseas somewhere.

A few thoughts...

Ferris Wheel: TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE. Especially at that stage of the race.

Flags: Excellent challenge, thought it was a really good way to end it.

Stairs or Dare: Another very good challenge.

Finishing in another country: Seriously if you can't understand why they finish in Australia then you have limited intellectual capacity.

9.10 start: 7 have no idea!

Finishing in another country: Seriously if you can't understand why they finish in Australia then you have limited intellectual capacity.

I don't really see why, other than maybe it's easier to have all the teams assemble in their home country. The argument that it's to complete a race around the world doesn't make sense since they don't usually go all the way around the world anyway.

I know it's a tradition with the US series to start and finish in the home country but as I mentioned before they have a lot more options in terms of major cities. Australia really only has Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth as major cities with international flights. If the Australian version of TAR ends up having as many series as the US version then using the same 5 cities to start and finish in is going to get pretty dull.

A few thoughts...

Ferris Wheel: TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE. Especially at that stage of the race.

Flags: Excellent challenge, thought it was a really good way to end it.

Stairs or Dare: Another very good challenge.

9.10 start: 7 have no idea!

The question is not "why do they finish in Australia" but "why do they have to finish in Australia"? Does that make sense Einstein?

Definitely disagree with this. One of the best things about TAR is the challenge teams have with different cultures and languages. I actually find the final stage a bit of a letdown for that very reason.

I think they get their fair share of it throughout the race. And the traditional "last task" goes some way to ensuring that it's not just a glorified treasure hunt through your home country.

(on 1 and 2... yes, trips start and finish at home. People like that stuff.)

I think they get their fair share of it throughout the race. And the traditional "last task" goes some way to ensuring that it's not just a glorified treasure hunt through your home country.

(on 1 and 2... yes, trips start and finish at home. People like that stuff.)

Fair enough.

Well the good thing was they used rental cars in Australia rather than taxis. The American version would do well to copy that for the final leg.
There's a good reason why they don't. With $1M on the line ($250K in the Australian version) teams are extremely prone to risk taking - particularly speeding. Wouldn't you take the risk? The worst you'd get is a fine worth a couple of thousand dollars - but with a potential gain of $1M.

For this reason, the US version has adopted a policy of always using taxis in the final stage - rather than allowing the racers to drive themselves.

The use of rental cars, instead of taxis, is probably a result of taxis in that particular city being a fairly rare commodity.
Also I disagree with Le Tour de France having a procession on the last stage. Tradition should not hold back common sense and a final leg of genuine racing. (Not my actual views, just an example)
Going off-topic here, but that's driven by practicalities more than reality. The final stage is always going to be dead flat, due to the geography around Paris. It's also the premier stage for the sprinters and their teams.

If a GC contender went on a break they would have the team of the yellow jersey, plus those of every single sprinter, chasing them down. The chances of success: 0.00%. This is why it's regarded as a ceremonial stage, until all hell breaks loose once the peloton arrives on the Champs Elysees for the first time.

I thought the flag challenge was a good way to finish the race. The race almost always finishes with a memory challenge, with the teams having to recall something about each and every stage of the race. Sometimes it's the hats the greeters were wearing, sometimes it's the road blocks & detours, sometimes it's the flags (as it was on this occasion).

It's fair to say that the best team won - congratulations to Nathan & Tyler. They won more stages than anyone else and were clearly the strongest team.

I was a bit surprised to see that it was completely dark by the time the girls arrived. We saw them driving across the Mt Henry Bridge, on the Kwinana Fwy, in daylight. From there it's only a short trip up the Canning Hwy and on to the Causeway. Shouldn't have been more than 15-20min drive to the island finish.

I did think it was strange to have the teams lining up behind the finish mat, rather than have them forming a guard of honour for the winning teams to run through on their way to meet Grant on the mat. I wonder why they chose to do it this way?

There's a good reason why they don't. With $1M on the line ($250K in the Australian version) teams are extremely prone to risk taking - particularly speeding. Wouldn't you take the risk? The worst you'd get is a fine worth a couple of thousand dollars - but with a potential gain of $1M.

Apart from the fact if you speed and get caught equals time penalty and losing the race.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Going off-topic here, but that's driven by practicalities more than reality. The final stage is always going to be dead flat, due to the geography around Paris. It's also the premier stage for the sprinters and their teams.

If a GC contender went on a break they would have the team of the yellow jersey, plus those of every single sprinter, chasing them down. The chances of success: 0.00%. This is why it's regarded as a ceremonial stage, until all hell breaks loose once the peloton arrives on the Champs Elysees for the first time.

Yeah I know that, was a pretty poor example.:p:eek:

more info: http://au.tv.yahoo.com/the-amazing-...s-for-the-amazing-race-australia-s2-revealed/

https://www.facebook.com/theamazingraceaustralia

https://twitter.com/#!/amazingraceau

j9x9ae.jpg

Decent size pics: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/en...the-amazing-race/story-e6frewyr-1226334645563

Looks like the usual stereotypical Amazing Race teams, they've just swapped the two muslim guys from last year for two indigenous guys.

Least they have some "variety" in there- unlike the Block (which i cant stand for the record), and all the whiteys they recruit for the show..

Remove this Banner Ad

FTA-TV Celeb Amazing Race

Remove this Banner Ad

Back