Ch 7 Commentary - is it intervention time?

Remove this Banner Ad

It was just pointless dribble. On what planet where the AFL going to do anything about Pearce’s charity themed arm guide in said charity game?
It's drivel and it's colour commentary.

I feel like you people want 'A kicks to B, which is near the 50.' we can see the ****ing play ffs on television, we don't need bland play-by-play.

I want someone who injects excitement and then someone who explains what's happening either side of the camera angles and tells us what we can't see.

I feel like you people want 'A kicks to B, which is near the 50.' we can see the ****ing play ffs on television, we don't need bland play-by-play.

I want someone who injects excitement and then someone who explains what's happening either side of the camera angles and tells us what we can't see.

Accurately…which was my point.

Watching the recent Euro's was an interesting contrast, the commentators say very little at times, other than identifying players (crucial in AFL given the size of the field and number of players), but still manage to lift the exciting moments of the game.

Some of the AFL commentators seem to think every kick and mark has to be earth-shatteringly exciting.

Agree about the comments people being there to explain what you can't see. I find Hodge quite good at this.

Watching the recent Euro's was an interesting contrast, the commentators say very little at times, other than identifying players (crucial in AFL given the size of the field and number of players), but still manage to lift the exciting moments of the game.

Some of the AFL commentators seem to think every kick and mark has to be earth-shatteringly exciting.

Agree about the comments people being there to explain what you can't see. I find Hodge quite good at this.

There is an argument that in AFL (not VFL, SANFL, WAFL or AFLW) the ball moves so fast that its essential that commentators call every nook and cranny. And to inject themselves into the game, commentators that is. That is the argument against soccer style calling...."oh in soccer nothing is happening" - well if that's the case, shouldn't there be even MORE voice fillers? Thought provoking.

However, watch hockey (ice), the puck is flying around 80 mph. Now that game is fast. However, commentators do not act like afL callers. So the speed of the game reason is moot and irrelevant.

There is an argument that in AFL (not VFL, SANFL, WAFL or AFLW) the ball moves so fast that its essential that commentators call every nook and cranny. And to inject themselves into the game, commentators that is. That is the argument against soccer style calling...."oh in soccer nothing is happening" - well if that's the case, shouldn't there be even MORE voice fillers? Thought provoking.

However, watch hockey (ice), the puck is flying around 80 mph. Now that game is fast. However, commentators do not act like afL callers. So the speed of the game reason is moot and irrelevant.
I wonder if it's partly because most of the commentators also call games on radio, where they do need to talk constantly that some of that carries over to their TV work.

I wonder if it's partly because most of the commentators also call games on radio, where they do need to talk constantly that some of that carries over to their TV work.
or theyre just morons

A few week ago I was listening to the Western Bulldogs vs North Melbourne game on Triple M. At one point North trailed by about 20 points. JB and Darcy said that the North Melbourne of 18 months ago would have been belted. Did they forget about the whole of last season and earlier this season?

It's because the intelligence level has dropped considerably.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only positive about being at that steaming pile of you know what game was not having to listen to tweedle dumb and tweedle dumber commentate it.

The "Ball" word find at seasons end is gunna be huge.

I watched a game the other week with the sound completely off. So much better.

Option A) I wonder what it would do to the ratings if during the game the only noise from the TV was from the crowd and umpires.

Option B) If A is too extreme, you can add special comments after goals only.

Option A) I wonder what it would do to the ratings if during the game the only noise from the TV was from the crowd and umpires.

Option B) If A is too extreme, you can add special comments after goals only.
Also injuries or other off camera events

Remove this Banner Ad

Ch 7 Commentary - is it intervention time?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back