Speculation Chad Warner [OOC 2025]

Remove this Banner Ad

Baker just went to West Coast for this reason.
Didn’t Jackson do the same thing by choosing Freo over WCE when he left Melbourne - even though at the time would have been a better fit at WCE due to Nic Nat calling it a day. Anyway the rest is history of course and he ended up where he wanted to be.

i doubt it, your new club may be your new #1 team, but players will still have a soft spot for their old favourite team for sure
I don't agree. You'd identify with the players in the team, not the uniform. So you think a player goes up to line up at full forward and the full back calls him 'a weak ****'' that he is still going to think about his childhood team in favourable manner? Nup. That'd go right out the window immediately.

Ever heard of the expression, 'never meet your heroes'. There's a reason for that.

Baker got the best of both worlds
More cash and his childhood team
For Baker, McQualter being named coach of WCE was the only thing he was weighing up. Even though he didn’t need to, he nominated an hour or so after WCE announced McQualter to take over coaching at the eagles. That was the driving force behind his decision, not money or a team he went for as a kid.

For Baker, McQualter being named coach of WCE was the only thing he was weighing up. Even though he didn’t need to, he nominated an hour or so after WCE announced McQualter to take over coaching at the eagles. That was the driving force behind his decision, not money or a team he went for as a kid.
West Coast deal was higher than Richmonds offer and most likely Freo's as well

Play for the team you support and make the most amount of $$$$ after having 2 premiership medals in your pocket was the dream scenario for Baker

Baker was always going to the Eagles, Mcqualter was just a bonus

LOl
Freo $1,000,000 x 8 years
Eagles $1,500,000 x 8 years

$4,000,000 difference
I would put money on him selecting the eagles
His mates are all at Fremantle, we'll be playing finals and looking to contend, sure West Coast might offer a bit more, I think there's more incentive to come to us than being stuck in a midfield still early in the rebuild.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His mates are all at Fremantle, we'll be playing finals and looking to contend, sure West Coast might offer a bit more, I think there's more incentive to come to us than being stuck in a midfield still early in the rebuild.
Do oppo fans think the Eagles have just started rebuilding or something?

We are a lot further along than people give us credit for, and after another year we will only be closer

We are a lot further along than people give us credit for, and after another year we will only be closer
Your list is genuinely at a similar level to Richmond's outside of Reid.

B to A grade 25-28 y.o. that could be around for next finals are Allen, Waterman, Duggan, Ryan.

Other than Reid (A grade) you have a few young B graders in Ginbey, Hewitt, Hough.

Wouldn't be able to name any other decent young players.

LOl
Freo $1,000,000 x 8 years
Eagles $1,500,000 x 8 years

$4,000,000 difference
I would put money on him selecting the eagles
WC have historically underpaid their players

Why does everyone think they are going to suddenly dump 3 million on 2 players?

Cap will be 18.44 mil in 2027, so spending roughly 16% of their cap on 2 players for the next 8 years

They've then got to pay 42 other players

Can't see them doing it tbh, reckon the money is going to be closer than you think, then take ~45%~ for tax and it will be even closer money actually in hand

The problem is you guys appear to be further along in time than in actual steps taken. You'd think bottom 3 for 3 years in a row and bottom 10 for 4 years in a row means a lot of the work is done. But looking at the results, the age profile is still a fair bit wonky for a rebuilding team + for the most part there appears to be a large gap btwn the floor and ceiling of what your younger players will become. Even guys like Ginbey and Hewett who I'd be fairly surprised if they don't become 150+ game players: there's a gap btwn a Chris Masten and an Andrew Gaff. And then there's a ton of guys like Archer Reid, Rhett Bazzo, Jack Williams, Campbell Chesser, etc where I think 3 years from now each of them can be best 22, but each of them can also be out of the system.

Freo are a decent example of a team where they rebuilt for quite a while and actually drafted well in that time, but the results didn't match that. 2016-2024 is a 9 year period where we made finals once (granted, most would say the rebuild is really 2016-2021, but that's still 6 years). Taking 2016-2021, in all but 1 of those drafts (ironically the 2018 Superdraft) we traded and drafted fairly well. But the constant revolving door (this isn't a problem for you guys) and some weird trades which contradicted rebuilding aims (this could be a problem for you guys) meant it was always 3 steps forward 2 steps back.

It could be that in a year or 2 from now, a strong, deep young core emerges out of hits with non-1st rounders and mid-season draftees as well as NGAs and father-sons adding depth around the 1st rounders. Right now, that feels closer to optimistic prediction than certainty.

WC have historically underpaid their players

Why does everyone think they are going to suddenly dump 3 million on 2 players?

Cap will be 18.44 mil in 2027, so spending roughly 16% of their cap on 2 players for the next 8 years

They've then got to pay 42 other players

Can't see them doing it tbh, reckon the money is going to be closer than you think, then take ~45%~ for tax and it will be even closer money actually in hand
Just have a look at their list

They will be lucky to meet the cap floor the next 3-4 years will all the players that left and are going to leave
And only Reid a priority

Freo have Darcy , Serong , Bolton , Amiss , treacy , Brayshaw , Jackson , Young and probably 1-2 more that will be pushing or over $1 mil in the next 2 years

He has more mates in sydney and will make mates at the eagles
doesnt justify dropping 4 mil

They can go out for drinks away from football

Trent Cotchin was best mates with Kreuzer Brendon Fevola with Chris Newman
very over rated

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Chad Warner [OOC 2025]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back